Let me introduce myself..

Lavinialuna

Well, we try. I have a severe allergy to MSG and all free glutamic acid so I have to be careful to stay away from processed foods. I have to make most of everything myself. tons of work, but have no choice, sort of forced int healthy eating, but I have grown to love it and it opened my eyes to where our food comes from and what they put in it. Scary stuff.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Yes, that's my hand and my chickens in both pics. The barred rocks are especially sweet and gentle, but not as hardy as a lot of other breeds. I'm currently raising a new barred rock generation--4 chicks have survived so far. As of the past couple of days they've learned to go inside the coup at night without me having to chase them down, catch them, and toss them in there. Oddly enough in spite of me acting like a scary predator every night, they're actually flocking towards me now like they've imprinted or something. Go figure.

Lavinialuna

:D Yay! I have 5 barred rocks, and 5 buff orpingtons. I agree, the little barred rocks seem a little smaller, but they are doing great! Do you live in a cold climate? I worry about how they will stay warm this winter, although I have great plans for a coop. I just love them!

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm subtropical, so that isn't a serious concern for me. We get a limited number of freezes per winter, and even those are rarely hard freezes.

Lavinialuna

On facebook I subscribe to off the grid pages and everyday they post cabins and how-tos, it gets me itching to run into the wild! haha! (but I need wifi too ;) )

You might like reading backwoods magazine or backwoodsman or something like that. I see em all the time at wal mart where the magazines are. All kinds of how to and projects for off the grid stuff.

Lavinialuna

My husband and I laughed at the concept of having an off the grid commune of people with social anxiety. None of us would ever talk to each other! Haha!