left out again? No Christmas stocking for me??

jschuley

I live in a house with three roommates, and I was the latest person to move in. When I got back from my family's house for thanksgiving, my roommate jen p had put up christmas decorations.

Get this, she hung three stockings on the wall. One for her, one for her boyfriend, one for our other roommate (my best friend). No stocking for me.

I have lived here for several months and she was the one who invited me to live here--although we are not close, we talk on almost a daily basis, and we've gone to the store together, and watched tv shows and movies together, seriously?? How could she hang up three stockings when four people live here?

It just really hurts me. It makes me feel like I'm not a real person or something. Like I don't warrant consideration, like I'm not a part of the holidays here, and I'm just supposed to sit around and watch while the three of them are some kind of happy family during christmas as if I'm not even there. I'm tired of being an outsider, and it doesn't seem like I should have to be. She couldn't just put up another stocking?

Maybe I'm over reacting, maybe she only had three stockings to put up. But I know she's been to the store several times and bought a lot of presents to put under the tree and she's put a lot of stuff in those three stockings, if she wanted, she could buy a fourth stocking. Now, she has bought me a present, which is nice, but the stocking thing is weird, isn't it?

It just kind of makes me feel unwelcome. It's just really inconsiderate of her. Am I making too big a deal out of this?

light

don't take things, personally. have no expectations and let things roll off your back. it's very freeeing and will help in your recovery. most of human interaction has elements of vanity and being superficial. just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.

Tab

Are people's names on them? If not here's what I would do, next time you see her say 'oh you shouldn't have! We should go out and get you a stocking too!' This way you know what her real intentions are.

Keeping in mind I'm a little waisted, it's seriously something I would do though.

Maybe everybody bought their own stockings in the past or something?

Are people's names on them? If not here's what I would do, next time you see her say 'oh you shouldn't have! We should go out and get you a stocking too!' This way you know what her real intentions are.

Keeping in mind I'm a little waisted, it's seriously something I would do though.

lol I like that idea!!!

Tab said:

I would do that too :lol:

MrDooBee

That would annoy me aswell but try not to stress about it because she cares about you, she bought you a gift for christmas :) .

JonnyD

you are way overreacting. which is a effect of SA.

you aren't sure if this means anything, she could be just too visual and just remembered the people she saw that day, she could have put stocking for everybody except herself, and other thousand options.

in fact i do it a lot, i always forgot myself when buying things or putting a table...

it was your choice to believe she was making it on pourpose or forgot you simplilly because you're unimportant in some way. of course your feeling aren't controlable , but your councious thoughts are.

Richey

JonnyD said:
you are way overreacting. which is a effect of SA.

you aren't sure if this means anything, she could be just too visual and just remembered the people she saw that day, she could have put stocking for everybody except herself, and other thousand options.

in fact i do it a lot, i always forgot myself when buying things or putting a table...

it was your choice to believe she was making it on pourpose or forgot you simplilly because you're unimportant in some way. of course your feeling aren't controlable , but your councious thoughts are.

this is most likely what has ocurred.

i'd quiz her about it too, just say "so the stockings are up", see how she responds