Leaving University to Teach Myself

Dreamseller

I've been at University for 2 and a half years now. I tried studying Economics at first, although I wasn't enjoying it, so I changed course to Computer Science after the first year. That, also doesn't seem to be for me.

I've been going to a rather reputable University here in the UK and well, it's not been challenging me. The work I was being set was done within half the allotted class time and none of it has been a challenge. I taught myself one of the modules in 3 days over the summer before class started, that took us 3 months to do at Uni. It feels like I'm walking, when I should be running. When I get bored, I lose motivation and I actually perform worse on easier tasks. (I just turn my brain off and stop caring if something is too easy)

I've decided to drop out and teach myself. That way, I can focus on the topics/material that I will actually need for a job and can move at a faster pace. Granted, I don't have any idea as to how employers will look at this, hopefully some of you can give me some ideas as to how this will be seen.

I plan on continuing my focus on Computer Science, mainly programming, along with some Mathematics. These subjects and disciplines are easily studied online and through books, as there is a vast wealth of resources available. I'm not planning on enrolling in any form of online class. Those just seem to be money grabbing attempts and the "certificates" they offer aren't worth the paper they are printed on. (There are however someone great MOOC's available for free which I plan on using)

Granted, while applying for jobs/internships I wont have any degree to put down, although I believe that this can go 1 of 2 ways. Either, it will set me apart and show increased independence, skills and motivation or they will just not even consider someone without a degree.

During my studies, I plan on working on projects at all stages of my development. This will include partial and "complete" projects that I can provide as a sort of portfolio to show prospective employers.

If anyone has attempted something similar or has any tips/advice they can offer, that would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dreamseller

I'm not really sure of the details as to what my timetable/work schedule will look like yet etc, although I'm sure I can figure that out.

My only concern is that without an actual degree, employers might not even look at my applications, even though I will have, hopefully, more extensive or varied knowledge than the people who followed the more "normal" approach. How have you found finding a job after dropping out?

I agree fully on your point about just repeating what was in the books. With the amount of books and other resources available on the subject, I know for a fact it will be possible to teach myself.

Odo

Banned
If you have a vision for yourself and really understand how to apply your knowledge and earn yourself a salary that's one thing, but if you don't really have much of a plan, then dropping out means you're not going to have those contacts, you're not going to have any real proof that you know what you're doing, and you're probably going to be pretty much alone.

Relying on free information might be cheaper but chances are if it's cheaper then more people will be doing it, which means more competition for jobs. A lot of programming/computer-related tasks that westerners do can be done by someone in India for $4/hour or less... so I would also make sure you know a lot about the market you're going into beforehand.

Why don't you tell your professor you're finding it too easy and ask him/her for some extra work? Professors tend to love overachievers... or at the very least he might be able to give you some career advice.

Dropping out is a really extreme action... some people have done it and succeeded but you should really know what you're getting yourself into.

Hoppy

The difference between someone who drops out because he cannot keep up and someone who drops out because the work is too easy cannot be seen by any outsider.

You have completed 2 and a half years. How long do you have to go? 18 months?

Complete the degree. Your cv will be thrown into a bin if you do not have a degree, and the road will be much more difficult.

Ithior

If it's so simple right now, you could occupy your time with online courses in other subjects and still complete your current degree. It would look good on your CV the fact that you completed your degree while also increasing your knowledge in other areas. At the very least it shows you're not lazying around.

Dreamseller

A lot of programming/computer-related tasks that westerners do can be done by someone in India for $4/hour or less...

Programming related jobs are hiring everywhere here in the UK at least. It's one of the few job sectors that are recruiting and they are snapping up every they can get their hands on.

Odo

Banned
Programming related jobs are hiring everywhere here in the UK at least. It's one of the few job sectors that are recruiting and they are snapping up every they can get their hands on.

Well, the people I know in the industry here are complaining that a lot of the jobs are moving overseas, because so many of them can be done through the Internet.

More U.S. service jobs heading offshore

It's not a huge deal yet, but it looks like it's going that way... and if it becomes the standard, it means yet another decent-paying career is gone.

On the other hand, I don't know about the UK.

jaim38

You're taking a lot of risk here, but success is possible. I have some cousins on my mom's side who did not go to college, but went on to have successful careers. 2 became managers, and the other co-founded a business. And, I'm sure there are other examples of people without college degrees who found success in life. But, there's one thing all these people have in common: that is willingness to socialize and make connections. I'm going to stress that it's very important you build bridges and network your way to a job. Even more so without a college degree. Who knows, one day you might meet someone to start a company with, or a boss who takes a liking to you (and end up hiring you). Good luck!

Success isn't about going the traditional route. In case you're interested, here's a woman doing her MBA for less than $1000:

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post...for-under-1-000?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0