Learning Photography

Buda

I want to learn photography for a project I need to start sooner o late that the use of it would be very important, However don't understand nothing about it and to be honest don't know from where to start. Buying a photo machine it's already hard enough :D Does anyone as some good experience (professional or not) about this field? Thank you all :)

jonas89

You can find a lot on youtube about it. The camera isn't the most important part in photography, but the person who is holding it,,

Good to start to read and watch what others are doing,, What I think is the most important to know first is about.
The rule of thirds
Iso
Exposure
shutter
and white balance

when you know those you will have a really good start : )

You don't need to buy an expensive DSLR if you're a beginner. Buy a decent camera and start taking photos regularly, and keep your camera with you all the time. Play with your camera and see what it can all do. Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is a great photography software program to edit your pictures and manage them. I take pictures with my iPhone, Flickr

Buda

Thank you both for your suggestions. I've already saw some youtube videos about exposure, iso, shutter, raw...and some other features. Although I need to get some DSLR to start putting that in practice, just watching can be very frustrating.

Spider your iphone takes pretty nice photos, love "your" dogs :)

I'm a beginner when it comes to DSLR but I can't effort to buy one just to learn and as i will be using for a job project don't one to take a risk :\ Probably gonna go for CANON EOS 600D

Buda

PS: Didn't got to see you were from Netherlands, Amsterdam seems lovely. I may take a trip there soon. That's one thing I miss when i travel...bring some decent photos!

Thank you, I miss the dogs so much. The first 4 pictures where taken in Amsterdam last Friday, the rest was taken in Curacao(Caribbean). When I travel to anywhere I take tons of pictures, there will always be that one shot that looks amazing, trust me!
And yes Amsterdam is lovely, you'll love it :)

Buda

Yeah it didn't seem Amsterdam some of them, Hope you enjoyed the time overthere. There are some cheap flights from my town this days but just to Eindhoven unfortunately :\ To be honest I would love to live for awhile in different city and amsterdam always come as an option : ) Last year I spent 3 weeks in Budapest and made my dreams riding bike all the time...an to my body over kilos : )

Yeah it didn't seem Amsterdam some of them, Hope you enjoyed the time overthere. There are some cheap flights from my town this days but just to Eindhoven unfortunately :\ To be honest I would love to live for awhile in different city and amsterdam always come as an option : ) Last year I spent 3 weeks in Budapest and made my dreams riding bike all the time...an to my body over kilos : )

Yes I did, it's my mission to go there every Friday now, instead of staying at home doing nothing. Eindhoven is a little far from Amsterdam. I had the option to live in Amsterdam but when the time came I choose another city, which is 45 minutes away by train. Next year I plan to visit Germany or France, I hope I have a DSLR by then, at night my iPhone is useless for taking pictures.

Kiwong

There are some good photography magazines out there explaining the fundamentals of photography. Also there are on line tutorials about many things. I like Canon cameras, a 600d will give good results. I have a 7d myself.

You probably also need to find out what sort of photography is involved in the project. Wildlife, portrait, landscape, sports. This will influence what sort of lenses you will need.

Personally, the most important things to learn, are the relationship between aperture (f-stop), exposure, depth of field and how to focus. I think focus is the most fundamental thing to get right in a photo.

Photo raw is an great option to do some post processing of photos in editing software such as Lightroom and Photoshop.

Buda

Hi guys! Thanks both for your good suggestions. I'm really into the canon eos 600D as it will be some investment already i want to take sure I don't go for a bad option.

Some days ago got across the video below about - Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO - that seems for me (although i'm a beginner) very good to understand the basics.

Photography Tutorial for Beginners: Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO (DSLR Tutorial) - YouTube

Spider I still didn't get if you are born in Netherlands or you went there for other reason but in any of the cases, photography seems to a be a lovely way to spend the time you seem to have an infinite stuff to learn and practice.

Kiwong most of the photos will be about landscapes and some inside places pictures for the project.

Flanscho

You can learn some basics about photography for a project. But you can't "really" learn it quickly.

Learning photography requires following:
- motivation, dedication and time (of course)
- exchange with other photographers, to learn from them and hear their opinions on your work and how to improve it
- acquiring theoretical knowledge, to 90% from books and 10% other sources
- applying that knowledge