Learning Difficulties

crunch-yogurt

Sorry if this is in the wrong place,
Im dyslexic and have always had problems acedemically. I always had trouble in school and never did that well. Ive been thinking about this lately and i think this is the main cause for the low opinion i have of my self. Over the years it made me feel different from other people in the fact that i couldnt master things other people could do with no difficulty. All through school i felt like such a idiot, even now that ive started collage im really strugling and i dont think im going to be able to stick it out.

Just wondering if any one else has felt like this.

HH

hey crunch-yogurt
I'm dyslexic myself (was bad in primary school but okay now) and it can be difficult sometimes. I find it hard to remember things and take instructions in...my brain swithches off. When it comes to studying I find its easier to remember information in bite size chunks (make notes on cards) and then keep on referring to them, repetition will drill the info in. Also try and link the info to images, that has helped me in the pass.

Remus

Staff member
Seriously though, I found it frustrating at school not being able to get down what I was thinking.

Feathers

Low opinion of self can come from many different things. I was actually doing very good at school and was actually very much ashamed of it. :) Go figure!

There are books that help with techniques of learning and memorization - you probably know about mind maps or use of color or mnemonics or such? If not, I highly recommend to learn about this!

It also helps to know what type of learner you are, what has worked best for you in the past. I'm visual/kinaesthetic, so it helps to make notes, use different colors to highlight the important stuff, make 'mini notes' or mind maps from the notes etc.
I used mini cards for some stuff too..
You can structure stuff to learn into smaller chunks, and then chunk them down too..

It really helped if my roommate or flatmates were studying too, or studying with a friend or a few in the dorm/uni study room.. (and fun and chat in the breaks :))

If you need help, go ask for it, get tutoring or explanation from classmates if needed.. (Better sooner than later..)

If something is really not your area, try something else maybe? (I know a guy who went from engineering to languages which he then loved :))
If you're paying for the whole semester/year might as well learn about these things, maybe get help and give it a try? (Or try any other classes to see if they go better? That's what Steve Jobbs did I think, just went to interesting classes..)

Have you got diagnosed with ADD or dyslexia etc? In that case, can you get help?

I think I may have some (undiagnosed) inattentive ADD too, and some noverbal learning difficulties.. so just because someone is good at school it doesn't necessarily mean they haver it 'all covered'.. You can also be gifted and have learning difficulties, or other problems..
Also many of my classmates who had worse grades are much better off both financially and in their lives, sooo... hmm?

Some people with learning difficulties can be really creative or very good in other areas.. It may just take some effort to find how your brain works and what you're good at..
Love your nickname, sounds very creative!

Wishing you good luck!! :)

Last edited:

Richey

i think the problem here could more be that for instance i have alot of trouble learning anything in a class room environment or at work around a big group ..i just cannot focus at all ..yet i notice all of my co-workers are literally experts and remember eveything, are actually very analytical and simply "get" everything, i can tell because there are always new people who are there less then a month and they speak to clients and its like they've been studying this all their life, which they haven't really.

i find i can study alot better on my own ...if someone else is around i'm simply self conscious and that is about it, i can work but my mind is up in the clouds.

crunch-yogurt

thanks for all the advice
I have been diagnosed with dyslexia and im ment to be getting support off the collage but so far its hasent been very helpfull. Im going to start to really hounding them untill i get want i need. The way collage here works seemes to be different to other countries in the way that you dont pick your classes, you pick a course that has set classes and you have to complete them all to progress.