Kind of another thread about sex...but not

Imhotep

Hi all. I was going to post this in the "sex" thread but I think it warrants its own thread as I'm going to be writing more about self esteem and stuff. I think some readers may find it useful, and it's not all about me so do try to read it all - I'm mainly talking to the singletons amongst us :) .

I read a lot of negative things on this board where people are having a go at themselves about not having sex or not in a relationship etc, and I used to be exactly the same. However, I think this is a large part of the problem. Whether you know it or not, you are sending signals out that are pretty unpleasant to people. I'm not talking about on here amongst people in the same position, but in everyday life. I know now that I did it myself, and when I catch myself doing it now I try my hardest to stop. I'm talking about the feeling of being an outsider, not socially accepted, unattractive etc, because now I'm pretty sure I'm not as bad as I think I am in any of those areas and I'm sure you lot aren't either. Some of you have pics on your profile and none of you are freakishly ugly, despite some of your comments :D .

I had a bit of a revelation a couple of months ago when I struck up an online friendship with a very attractive girl I knew through another forum. At first, I was absolutely overjoyed just to be speaking to her, but I royally f*cked it all up by just being negative about myself all the time and saying stuff like "if I met someone [meaning her] I'd not know what to do and screw it all up". I think that comment was the straw that broke the camel's back, actually (along with when I told her what kinky stuff I liked doing sexually - free piece of advice, guys - NEVER tell a woman you've never met before anything like that ::p:) and we've never spoken since.

But the thing is, she was really attracted to me (in a non-sexual way, mostly, I assume) because of my sense of humour. I've got a sharp sense of humour and I can be pretty offbeat, and she'd noticed me even though I wasn't really trying to "attract" someone. She found me really funny and so wanted to chat to me. I've noticed some of you guys that have lady trouble have a pretty good sense of humour too, so I know I'm not alone there.

After about the third week of sitting around waiting for her to show up on MSN (even though I pretty much knew she'd blocked me), I knew I had to do something. Yes, I thought about stalking her, but instead I started working on my self-esteem and confidence. I am learning that I am NOT as bad as I thought and that if I think positively, strange things can happen.

I think the best thing anyone can do in this situation is work on how you relate to PEOPLE (not just members of the opposite sex that you find attractive). I think this ties in with the old chestnut: "it'll happen when you least expect it". If you're concentrating on just being a more rounded, naturally confident person, and not simply trying to obtain the love of your life and/or sex, people will relate to you better. And find you more attractive.

I think at some point also it needs to be mentioned that it IS an option to "let go" of the things that caused us pain in the past. I, like some of you, hung on to past hurts, thinking that if it's happened before, it will happen again. And it's possible that they will. But it's also possible that they won't.

I'm sure you've heard all this before, but there's a particular point to this: I believe it's all true.

Recently, I started taking this advice after reading a couple of books and doing a HELL of a lot of soul searching (and after a particularly scary tarrot reading in Toronto). Within a few weeks, I had had my first date in over ten years, with a really pleasant and rather attractive young lady. It went really well and we went out again at the weekend and she wants to see me again. I can't stress how much of revelation this is. A little while ago, when things with my internet friend went bad, I was pretty much as low as can be.

I don't know how things are going to go with my new friend, but there's got to be something in all this. Hopefully, everything will be great and we'll have the kind of love Sarah McLaughlan sings about all the time. If not, I hope I'm still able to remain positive about the experience and use it to become a better person.

I hope this inspires someone out there. If not, thanks for reading anyway :D .

BlackKids

I knew I had to do something. Yes, I thought about stalking her, but instead I started working on my self-esteem and confidence

Great advice lol :D
What did you do to improve your confidence/self esteem? I know that not everyone (if anyone) thinks so negativly of me. Its just hard to get those thoughts outta my head.

this_portrait

I went through a similar situation where I poured my feelings out to a guy I liked, and from then on it was hell on earth. I then tried to find a boyfriend with not much luck at all. So I just gave up on all the lovey dovey shit, and am now just living my own solitary life, trying to pursue a career and be content. I think this advice would do well for everyone.

klytus

So I just gave up on all the lovey dovey shit, and am now just living my own solitary life, trying to pursue a career and be content.
That is, indeed, one of the better decisions.

U

userremoved

Yeah thanks for the advice and books bro. I hope things work out with this new friend ;)

Argamemnon

I can never become a confident person and I have never been one. That's why I have given up. My chronic anxiety and deep depression prevents me from becoming more confident. I will never know what it means to be confident and how it feels.

Argamemnon

I went through a similar situation where I poured my feelings out to a guy I liked, and from then on it was hell on earth. I then tried to find a boyfriend with not much luck at all. So I just gave up on all the lovey dovey shit, and am now just living my own solitary life, trying to pursue a career and be content. I think this advice would do well for everyone.
It is always said that women don't have to do anything and are always approached by guys, and thus they have it much easier in dating than men.

Last edited:

this_portrait

It is always said that women don't have to do anything and are always approached by guys, and thus they have it much easier in dating then men.

I wish that statement applied to me, but I've come to realize that it doesn't at all. Almost every guy I meet is either not my type, intimidated by me, not interested, or thinks I look too good for him. =/

Argamemnon

I wish that statement applied to me, but I've come to realize that it doesn't at all. Almost every guy I meet is either not my type, intimidated by me, not interested, or thinks I look too good for him. =/
Oh so you're attractive.. and you ARE approached? Do you have high standards, is that the problem?

So my statement does apply to you after all, because you are approached by men.

Last edited:

this_portrait

Oh so you're attractive.. and you ARE approached? Do you have high standards, is that the problem?

So my statement does apply to you after all, because you are approached by men.

No, no. . . What I'm trying to say is that most men don't approach me, and the few who do aren't my type, because they always come off as cocky and full of themselves. The most I ever get from most men is stares, and that's usually about it. Hardly any ever approach me, and I've been told that the reason they don't approach me is because I myself don't make any effort to talk to them.

Argamemnon

No, no. . . What I'm trying to say is that most men don't approach me, and the few who do aren't my type, because they always come off as cocky and full of themselves. The most I ever get from most men is stares, and that's usually about it. Hardly any ever approach me, and I've been told that the reason they don't approach me is because I myself don't make any effort to talk to them.
Thanks for clearing that up ::p:

Nice to see a girl who isn't attracted to guys who are full of themselves. Those are usually the type of guys who get all the women, it seems. I hope you will find someone special one day.

Last edited:

JCS008

I think at some point also it needs to be mentioned that it IS an option to "let go" of the things that caused us pain in the past. I, like some of you, hung on to past hurts, thinking that if it's happened before, it will happen again. And it's possible that they will. But it's also possible that they won't.

This definitely has to be mentioned. Especially in regards to past relationships and painful memories. You have to be able to "let go" and learn from the situation. The pain is unbearable at times, but either you move on for this, or keeping something like this will just hold you back in the future.

You can't assume everyone is the same and you can't be afraid for the same thing to happen again. I mean, that's life. Somethings will work out, and somethings wont. You have to treat relationships like independent factors and not let things effect one another. Something I should be doing myself! :)

NothingElseMatters

(along with when I told her what kinky stuff I liked doing sexually - free piece of advice, guys - NEVER tell a woman you've never met before anything like that ::p:)
i'll have that in mind haha;)

I hope this inspires someone out there. If not, thanks for reading anyway :D

very nice post.

If you're concentrating on just being a more rounded, naturally confident person, and not simply trying to obtain the love of your life and/or sex, people will relate to you better. And find you more attractive.

I find that being a little selfish working on staff that will improve myself and focusing on my goals is gonna help me help people eventually(in the long long distant future)

pufferfish

i can for sure relate to the idea of "letting go" of past relationships and past hurts. my current boyfriend always reminds me that " i am not ______. i am nothing like him."
i do kind of have to take a step back and realize that the problems i had with my ex were with my ex, and not with my current. it's good advice. :)

Imhotep

If anyone's interested, I've just got back from my fourth meeting with this lady and she's indicated that she just wants to be friends. It's understandably extremely disappointing, especially as I've put SO MUCH effort into just meeting with her - so much effort that a regular person just wouldn't understand, but you lot probably will - but I will try to remain positive.

I've learned a lot from the experience - mainly that I CAN meet a woman and hold a conversation. There are still things to work on, and I hope to have the opportunity to fine-tune my social skills. And I've gained a friend out of it.

I just hope it won't be ANOTHER 10 years until my next date. Now excuse me while I have a quiet cry into my now-empty beer glass.