Just a suggestion...

Sea Bass

Well, for a while I used to freak out, think that I had just about everything, and buy a whole bunch self-help books on Amazon. I read a few and let others accumulate dust ::p:. During my pursuit for knowledge, I figured out what I had and what I didn't have and stumbled on a really good find. I happened to find a good book on AvPD. The book is entitled The Essential Guide to Overcoming Avoidant Personality Dirsorder and has been written by a psychiatrist named Martin Kantor.

The book is divided into several parts, a preface and three sections which consists of several chapters, in which the author discusses certain things of interest. He mentions, if I remember correctly, at some point in the book, how not too many psychologist/psychiatrists look into avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) because it's not as "exotic" as other disorders such as borderline personality disorder. The author believes that there are different sub-types of AvPD and describes them in either the first or the second section of the book. He shares stories of cases he has encountered in the second section. In the third section he discusses and elaborates on certain exercises one can do to help one's self overcome AvPD if one has AvPD. He also, at some other point in the book, discusses how there is confusion in regards to what AvPD actually is and differentiates the disorder from social phobia.

The book is organized in such a way that one does not need to read it from beginning to end. One can hop from one section to another, or one chapter to another, if need be. The book can get pretty technical in the first section and has probably been written by the author specifically for therapists. The other two sections, sections two and three, are not so technical and can be read with ease by pretty much anyone.

I just felt like sharing this find because I know that there are quite a few people that use this web site that have AvPD and may find this book interesting and helpful. One should note that the author warns that the book is not a "cure all" and that he also thinks it's probably best to use the book in conjunction with therapy directed by an actual licensed therapist. I think that one can easily find and purchase the book on Amazon.

Last edited:

Darryl

Hi Sea Bass,
Great summary:)

I have a problem with the title::eek:: with the word "Overcoming"

This gives the impression that Avie can be cured and not until you read "the Author warns that this is not a cure all" that you been bulls8tted by a world leader in this subject.

"Controlled" would be a better word;)

I would think my thoughts on this subject would be typical of an Avie, and go though all the typical emotions of trust and taking me as a fool would not allow me to get the most out of this book.
As an Avie I pass judgement and I would of thought he would know this.

Sea Bass, This is nothing personal, I found it great that you brought it up and enjoyed your summary:)
Just that dam title and more importantly from a leader in this subject who dropped the ball.

Waybuloo

Hello first of all I love Sea Bass, it's my favourite fish ever!

I think my psych mentioned I either had AVPD or am avoidant in my report, so I might check out this book sometime. But meanwhile I have ordered lots of books to do with emotional abuse and Dale Carnegie's How to make friends and influence people.