Jus' wanted to share this

JosephG

I often am shocked when I find out that Celebrities have had problems with their mental health during their life. I know I shouldn't - I mean they're as human as you or I but you kind of build up this glossy perfect image of celebrities sometimes. I enjoy finding this stuff out because it gives me hope to feel that people do actually recover from mental health issues.
You may have seen a thread I posted the other day about the stigma of mental health and it included an article about some pretty successful people with mental health issues such as: Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Alastair Campbell, Ruby Wax etc

Today I read up on John Mayer and it turns out he has suffered from panic attacks, a fear of insanity and possibly has panic disorder. Apparently he is still taking xanax to help him with these symptoms. I am a big fan of his and I was just like "wow" when I found out.
I think stuff like this could help defeat the stigma of mental illness. I know a lot of people who adore John Mayer and probably do not know what he has suffered in the past. I imagine if they found out he has battled with mental health issues they would have less stigma against people who have such problems.

so anyway yeah - I just hate it when you mention mental health to people and they will refer to people with those issues as "psychos" or "nutters". Yet 1 in 4 will suffer from mental health issues in their life. And I doubt anyone would call John Mayer a "nutter".

thoughts?

Last edited:
Wow, John Mayer is a fellow panic sufferer? Didn't know about this.
I'm a fan, so thanks for sharing!! :)

It's great to see people who deal with things like this, got so big,
really RESPECT, because it's a real business world, and you have a life full of action! and a lot of paparazzi.

I would like to know more about celebs who deal with SA, or other mental health problems, I just find those people inspiring, because they have been in the same state, and they found the key to succes. wonderful :)

Phoenixx

I totally understand what you mean. I find it really interesting also to find out about celebrities and their problems. Celebrities are always pictured as flawless, they have lots of money, so they must all live happy, healthy lives. Of course, that's not true, it's only depicted that way.

I watched the video on that thread last night. One that really surprised me was the one about Halle Berry and suicide. Never would have guessed... And John Mayer, really? Wow that's pretty interesting. Never would've thought that one either.