Jury Duty

applegirl

Okay, so I got my first summons for jury duty. It was on may 28th and i went and they actually picked me. I went along with it because I thought it would be a piece of cake 4-5 days kind of thing but in fact I have to be there for 9 days. That's like two weeks minus the weekends. :( I didn't say anything when they asked if any of us have a medical condition that prevents us from serving as jurors because I thought I could handle it. I'm not very good at talking in social situations and it often takes me longer to process something in my head and by the time i want to reply i'm like three seconds behind from the usual one second reply a person gives. I thought it was all going to be business being a grand juror but everyone is getting to know each other after spending three days in the same court room. Today (which was the third day) I got asked by one of the male jurors in front of everyone what my name was. I said my name, and he's all "Hi, ___! How are you doing?" I looked down in shyness and he went on to comment, "You're so quiet. We haven't heard you speak yet" which I believe is an understatement. I was never a chatterbox the entire three days but I most certainly answered when the juror secretary inquired (in front of everyone) what my juror number was and who was the juror's number who sat next to me (if the person was absent). Another male juror in front of me said, "She's stuck in the corner reading a book all the time." Later he said I seemed to not want to open up to the other jurors and stuff. What i didn't understand is when he said i should learn to "cope" like everyone else is doing. Maybe he thinks cause i'm not saying much that i must be irritated to be doing jury duty with a bunch of strangers?
I have many things I dislike about being in the jury but out of all of them i dislike that i just can't relate to the other jurors. they're all older than me (or perhaps more experienced) cause they talk about having jobs and stuff but for me it's unknown terrain when they chat about things like sports and a good hotdog restaurant in another city i never even heard of. i would say yeah that most of the jurors are little chatterboxes and i'm sitting in the corner trying my best to not look disengaged but doing my own thing at the same time.
After I got the comments about me (today) I was feeling very bad. I almost cried right then and there. I was tearing up a little but i blinked them back. it's so hard to talk to people especially when i'm in a group that big (23 jurors). I would so prefer 2-4 other people around me instead. Of course they don't know i feel intimidated by their presence alone and it's not so much what they have said or not said to me. that's how powerful the pull is for me. i was sitting there while a case was being presented wondering if it was better if i just ran to the warden's office afterwards to plead to be let go from this jury because of my difficulty communicating and interacting with other jurors but i didn't do that. i don't feel as bad now but i'm afraid something else is going to happen tomorrow. i'm scared.
I have been able to convince myself being quiet isn't the worst thing in the world and it's not like i committed a sin by being extremely quiet. at least i participate when it comes to voting on a case. i don't argue like the other jurors do back and forth about evidence in a case. i listen but i just don't give them any feedback. who said i wanted to be on the jury anyways? i got randomly picked for goodness' sake. Any advice?

I just get out of it, I know I would never last a day. As for advice I wouldn't know, since I have avoided it like the plague. I say don't let them get to you, if you do your job then that is that.

applegirl

I woke up just dreading today's jury duty. So I called the supreme court of where i'm currently serving and asked how to be excused. My voice was shaking when I was explaining about why I couldn't continue to appear as a grand juror. He gave me another phone number to call and I spoke to the lady on the phone and she said I would have to come see her in person in order for her to dismiss me as grand juror. I'm scared but I'm going to see her. If anything this is the first time on the phone I have even mentioned my difficulty struggling to communicate and be around the other jurors without being uncomfortable. It scares me to tell her I have social anxiety and i dunno if I should use that word at all. I'll let you guys now how it goes .... anything to get me the hell out of this jury duty business.

applegirl

Okay so I got discharged from any further jury duty. The whole experience of being in the warden's office is one i'll never forget. At first i didn't know what to say especially since other jurors kept coming into the warden's office to sign in for their attendance. I barely got a sentence out before I started crying. I was trying to explain my difficulty being around the other jurors but the guy at the desk seemed really unsympathetic to my demise and simply said I shouldn't let others intimidate me and that being a grand juror is just business of voting on cases and that's it. he even asked what could possibly happen that i would want to be excused cause i was doing just fine yesterday and the two other days of this week. I thought, god, how ironic. he assumes i was doing fine just cause i showed up to jury duty and signed in. that's just a freaking piece of paper that tells who showed up and who was absent. he spoke like he had spoke to me before or something. since when does a piece of paper tell how i'm doing??
I waited outside for Sharon -- the lady i spoke to before on the phone. she asked me to come back in and grab a seat. my first sentence was, "I have difficulty" and she asked, "what kind of difficulty?" my emotions for the better of me because i had so much anxiety bottled up inside of me. i worried even if i told her what was going on and how i was feeling that i'd still have to go back to serving my remaining juror days. we were left alone in the room at one point and the door was closed to give me privacy. i was sobbing most of the time i was trying to talk to her. she was really kind and understanding. i gave her my psychiatrist's number at one point so she could talk to her and find out my background a little. I did tell Sharon i have social anxiety (disorder) and how i've had it all my life and all this other stuff. In the end it was her decision of whether or not i would stay or leave but she let me go.

Pookah

She let you go because social anxiety is a recognized mental illness by the medical community if not immediately familiar to the judiciary system.

DeathMetal

I've gotten called for jury duty twice now. The first time they didn't want me on so I was let go, but the second time I got on the jury. The case took about a week. I don't think I said more than a few words during the juror meetings.

agoraphobickatie

jury duty hell is primarily why i am not registered to vote! for one thing.. sitting in a damn court room being forced to stay in one place for days is bad enough, next- i just can't handle the ignorance of people.. i'd either be pissed because everyone is stupid and i kept my mouth shut, or i'd be getting into arguments with people there over their dumb thinking, haha!! that sounds bad... but it's true! i'm a hardass and don't give second chances, i'm not down for 'being nice' or letting people off! lmao

Tiercel

I almost had to go last August. But the night before I looked online, like I was supposed to, and learned that my number wasn't needed. I guess the end of August is still vacation time, so I lucked out. The only bad to come of it was a whole weekend of being wound up as tightly as possible for every waking moment.

I might have been able to get out of it, but I figured f:eek: it. I was gonna go in, show my anxieties who's really in charge, and get my lousy $5 check in the mail. But Fate decreed otherwise.

Concerning those Americans who don't vote: given the history of the United States, I look upon it more as a responsibility than a right. The only way our government will even pretend to work is if we get involved. Sure, every single vote might not be important, but the numbers add up. If 538 more people voted in Florida in 2000, Gore would have been President on 9/11. Maybe we wouldn't have gone to war in Iraq. Or if more conservative-leaning citizens voted in 2008, McCain might be reacting better to the oil fiasco than Obama.

But it's rarely ever about voting for one's favorite candidate. It's always about voting for the least evil of the evils with which one is presented. And yeah, one occasionally receives a summons for jury duty. It's boring, it's a pain in the ass, and it's almost universally despised; but it's better than the alternatives.

And the best part is that no one but you really knows what goes on behind those curtains.

;)

Tiercel

I'm starting to get a little disappointed by the number of people who aren't registered to vote.

Come on, guys and gals, we're Americans! If nothing else, we're good at making ourselves heard!

agoraphobickatie

I'm starting to get a little disappointed by the number of people who aren't registered to vote.

Come on, guys and gals, we're Americans! If nothing else, we're good at making ourselves heard!

in this last election, i wasn't as educated on the candidates as i should have been, so i didn't bother to register and vote... i prefer not to be an ignorant voter and go with the one who was the same color as me.

Pookah

Electoral college is outdated. All candidates are corrupt anyhow.

Predacon

I did jury a several months ago and I didn't have a problem. I spent most of my time reading and from my experience that's what most people were doing. There were people talking too, but only to other people who wanted to talk.

Tiercel

Electoral college is outdated. All candidates are corrupt anyhow.

Both are true. But there are also public questions one can vote on, school budgets, and every now and then a special election! I always figured that as long as I'm part of this world, I might as well try to play my part in it.

On a side note, a few years ago NJ had a question on whether they should change the word "idiot" among the list of people allowed to be denied the right to vote by the state constitution. I voted no for that one, as I was proud that my home state officially recognized idiots.

But I don't want to turn this into a lecture/debate on the American system of government. Civics never really ignited any spark in my blackened little heart. Now, men vs. women registering for the draft, on the other hand.... :mad:

The worst part about my one stint of jury duty was sitting in a room with my Lit. I professor from the autumn before. I still don't know if she recognized me or not.

hoddesdon

I was called up a few years ago. The court system is quite inefficient where I live and only two juries were empanelled in two weeks. I was not selected for either. Quite a large of number of us turned up every day basically just to sit around. Even so, it was interesting, but because not much happened. only a bit.

applegirl

I did jury a several months ago and I didn't have a problem. I spent most of my time reading and from my experience that's what most people were doing. There were people talking too, but only to other people who wanted to talk.

Lucky. I can't believe you got to be on a jury where there were quiet people AND talkative people. So not like the jury I was on. I mean it. Everyone was chatting with everyone. And I was the only one who wasn't. It didn't start out with everyone talking to everyone around them but gradually it became like that within two days. I was also the only one who brought a book with me everyday. I felt kind of ridiculous and out of place cause while everyone else was laughing and talking I cringed hoping they wouldn't notice me not joining in.