Joining a new class tomorrow. I'm really terrified.

LittleGloves

I'll be joining a new class tomorrow, a year two class and I am really scared. I don't know anyone at all from there so I will be this odd girl out. I don't know how I am going to fit in. The course that I am taking requires you to work in small groups. I don't know if anyone wants me in their group. I am really terrified. I wish I would never have left so I still would be with some of my friends. Any tips?

Ithior

You should calm down. It's not that bad. I did a couple of classes without my friends, and I didn't really feel worse because I was alone. I actually liked having a few classes by myself. I'd just sit somewhere where I wouldn't have people around me and I could focus much better.

How does the group thing work? Do you form groups during class and stay in the same until the end? Do you form them outside the class? Or do you form them during class but the groups change frequently? My tips will depend on the answer to these questions.

LazyHermitCrab

a year two class? it will take some time to get used to people in the class. just focus on getting a good grade so you will be the smart one in the class and people will want to pair up with you :)

LittleGloves

You should calm down. It's not that bad. I did a couple of classes without my friends, and I didn't really feel worse because I was alone. I actually liked having a few classes by myself. I'd just sit somewhere where I wouldn't have people around me and I could focus much better.

How does the group thing work? Do you form groups during class and stay in the same until the end? Do you form them outside the class? Or do you form them during class but the groups change frequently? My tips will depend on the answer to these questions.

I will be staying with the class for two years. The course which I am taking is 3 years but I already have completed the first year with my previous class. Yes everyone will have their own groups until the end. With my previous class, there are two new students who join but my former mentor assigned the groups for them so it's easier. But I don't know if it will be the same for me. With my previous class, we change groups every semester but I'm not sure how this new class works.

LittleGloves

a year two class? it will take some time to get used to people in the class. just focus on getting a good grade so you will be the smart one in the class and people will want to pair up with you :)

But it's really hard if you don't have anyone to help you. At least that's how it is for me. I need to have friends who can help me with my studies too. Like I said 50% of the grade comes from the group project with the other half being the written exam so yeah.

Shybutterfly99

Ah, I know what you mean :( It can be quite scary adjusting to new settings. I also hated group work stuff when i was in school, I would cringe and nearly panic at the thought of it and who I would pair up with. I usually just fought the panicky feeling and tried to contribute as much as I can. Maybe you can ask the professor or your peer mentor for extra help? I think there are a few resources in school like tutoring. That's what I did, when i needed help and i found it to be helpful. You can also try to talk someone who you feel the most comfortable with and ask them exactly what is needed for the group, there is bound to be nice people :)

Good luck, I know how terrifying it can be, slow baby steps :)