Job hunting

Labyrinthine

Good luck with the job hunt!

While it might seem scary ( and believe me, the first day definitely was), serving tables really isn't so bad. I really only just started doing it and not only do I feel it's starting to improve my shyness, but tips are awesome. Depending on the restaurant even, you might only need to take orders and drop checks.

As far as interviews go, they really just want you to be yourself. I'm fairly certain they can smell fake enthusiasm from miles away.

OceanMist

You could try letterbox dropping some basic cards offering to dog sit, vacuum, gardening. You can just be yourself and i'm sure you'd get some work. Whilst still looking for work.

Very good ideas. Cleaning is something I can do, so is dog sitting. I'm not a gardner but I can mow and weed wack.

How do you go about this? Is it legal to go door to door and put a flyer on their door?

OceanMist

Yesterday I sent out apps to 3 pizza hut restaurants for team member or delivery driver.

Today, I did a follow up-application call for a place i applied to a couple weeks ago and the guy told me he'd put me at the top of their interview list for a potential interview. I filled out an application for a store that is 25 miles away from me for part-time work.

OceanMist

Good luck with the job hunt!

While it might seem scary ( and believe me, the first day definitely was), serving tables really isn't so bad. I really only just started doing it and not only do I feel it's starting to improve my shyness, but tips are awesome. Depending on the restaurant even, you might only need to take orders and drop checks.

As far as interviews go, they really just want you to be yourself. I'm fairly certain they can smell fake enthusiasm from miles away.

I've considered serving. The problem for me would be the risk of quitting or getting fired. Could I do it for a month or two. Probably. Could I do it for a year? I don't know.

Are you a woman? If you are, you get tipped more and people are nicer to you than they are to men at a job like serving.People will try to argue that but it tends to be true. No offense, but that makes things easier in that profession. I'm a guy, btw.

I'll keep trying the other mcdonalds type jobs. If i run out of options entirely, then yeah, i may try server.

Last edited:

Labyrinthine

I've considered serving. The problem for me would be the risk of quitting or getting fired. Could I do it for a month or two. Probably. Could I do it for a year? I don't know.

Are you a woman? If you are, you get tipped more and people are nicer to you than they are to men at a job like serving.People will try to argue that but it tends to be true. No offense, but that makes things easier in that profession. I'm a guy, btw.

I'll keep trying the other mcdonalds type jobs. If i run out of options entirely, then yeah, i may try server.

It's just a fast way to make to make money in a part time job. Not necessarily a job for the long term, but if you're ever in a bind it might be worth considering. I just wouldn't recommend breakfast shifts since that's a lot of worth for quite frankly not that much money.

I am a woman, but on the same hand the person making the lowest tip percentage at the restaurant was a woman. She was making about 15% a night, while the other male servers were making 20% or more. But the restaurant I'm at has mainly older diners and is fine dining, so who knows if that makes it different from working somewhere like a bar.

Edit;;
Speaking of restaurants, dish washing positions are frequently open. Not as financially nice as serving, but it won't require much social interaction, and I know a lot of people that were able to eventually get better positions in the kitchen after having that position for a little bit.

Last edited:

Labyrinthine

Very good ideas. Cleaning is something I can do, so is dog sitting. I'm not a gardner but I can mow and weed wack.

How do you go about this? Is it legal to go door to door and put a flyer on their door?

I know someone that put an ad on a bulletin board at a local foodstore. She got tons of jobs from doing that.

OceanMist

16 applications turned in, done call-backs to all places that haven't turned me down. No dice. Two jobs I applied for are out of my area and not even sure if I'll get my truck running again. I may be back on my bike. things just keep getting worse.

My confidence has shot down very low after all this rejection and that job where there were 100s of applicants for a fast food position. I get the feeling I'm going to apply to 50 places and not get a job. There are only so many jobs that I'm qualified for in my town that are part time......Not looking good.

mikebird

Banned
16 applications turned in, done call-backs to all places that haven't turned me down. No dice. Two jobs I applied for are out of my area and not even sure if I'll get my truck running again. I may be back on my bike. things just keep getting worse.

My confidence has shot down very low after all this rejection and that job where there were 100s of applicants for a fast food position. I get the feeling I'm going to apply to 50 places and not get a job. There are only so many jobs that I'm qualified for in my town that are part time......Not looking good.

This is what I get! I keep track of anything within 50 miles from home, or further if I can do exactly what they need. Employer or recruiter agent will use any excuse such as I'm too far away, even if I want to do it. and they want someone local. I'm lucky to be right in the centre of southern England. I'm sure I'm on any recruiter's blacklist the more times I try and don't get the job. Everyone wants a 100% perfect all-rounder. One interview failure sets you back. Yep. There's always someone better.

Richey

Doesn't matter. You've built up those muscles for doing call-backs, Now you know you can do it. You'll get something sooner than you think.

I got a job recently, I found out it was because my cover letter was appealing to them, a retailer. I related the company, it's philosophy into my work experience. So I think if you research the company, apply a paragraph of your cover letter for saying something like "I admire the enter_company_names ability to keep good relations with it's customers and respect that the quality of it's products appeals to a broad spectrum of people" ...something like that. It shows that you have researched the company. Which I think would help. But you know. Applying for work is a numbers game as well. keep trying.

mikebird

Banned
You've built up those muscles for doing call-backs, Now you know you can do it. You'll get something sooner than you think.

This is my kind of magic!

I've tried, but it's so rare. It's the tallest mountain. I'll get going because of you.

Rare things that have happened on the phone: the big major manager or their underdog do actually scream at a flood that knoxks me over, struggling to cope. I run away and try to recover. I often don't think that such volume can be transferred by a piece of plastic in your ear. Then during that, or usually when speaking to any other simpleton with their bare childlike psycho tools, I do attack and deride them on their intelligence or following the instructions they read. The grand failure of etiquette gets me straight into their black books to be scored lowest, which of course, they'd never say. An intraverted programming geek must speak to a socialite, singing like Aled Jones to succeed :applause:

jaim38

Job fairs give me the chills, especially those sponsored by my school(s). At my former school, I was walking past what looked like a job fair just minding my own business. I went inside the glass building to chill and put my sweater away. There was a chubby guy standing at a distance away from me, at first I didn't recognize him, just minded my own business. The chubby guy was standing there with a bunch of professional looking students in business suits. Then I heard him say, "I don't like her." I looked up and saw him looking right at me. His buddies were looking at me too and asking him questions about me. I quickly went out of the glass building and walked away.

I recognize this chubby guy as one of my bullies. I used to be in the same class as him but dropped out due to the bullying. And I also developed a fear of visiting job fairs (or anything similar) because, imagine that someone hates you starts telling employers not to hire you. Then what's the point of going to job fairs? Your efforts will be futile.

OceanMist

Job fairs give me the chills, especially those sponsored by my school(s). At my former school, I was walking past what looked like a job fair just minding my own business. I went inside the glass building to chill and put my sweater away. There was a chubby guy standing at a distance away from me, at first I didn't recognize him, just minded my own business. The chubby guy was standing there with a bunch of professional looking students in business suits. Then I heard him say, "I don't like her." I looked up and saw him looking right at me. His buddies were looking at me too and asking him questions about me. I quickly went out of the glass building and walked away.

I recognize this chubby guy as one of my bullies. I used to be in the same class as him but dropped out due to the bullying. And I also developed a fear of visiting job fairs (or anything similar) because, imagine that someone hates you starts telling employers not to hire you. Then what's the point of going to job fairs? Your efforts will be futile.

That chubby guy is one to talk. He can't keep himself a respectable weight and then has the nerve to insult another person's character? Sheesh, shrug it off and let him sulk in his loser misery.

awkwardamanda

I never want to ask questions, or poked by any. It's unnecessary. No random anonymous phone call

At he end, I'm asked if I have any questions for them. I live by the simple plan for preparing questions. From now, I will make everything different by ignoring this. I'll say "NO" My usual response always was "we covered every topic now". My head was full of their rubbish, either happy or bored. I'll say "NO", by demonstrating that I know / heard everthing I need. Respect

This could be part of your problem. You should have questions. If you don't, it is going to look like you aren't very enthusiastic about the job. Maybe there was something vague in the ad that you could ask them to clarify or elaborate on. You could ask what a typical day in this role is like. Or ask how much time would be spent working alone and how much in groups.

That chubby guy is one to talk. He can't keep himself a respectable weight and then has the nerve to insult another person's character? Sheesh, shrug it off and let him sulk in his loser misery.

That's what bullies do. They feel inadequate for whatever reason, and they resort to knocking down others so they feel better. (I'm sure many of us around here know this from experience.)

OceanMist

Had another interview. I've applied at close to 20 jobs now. My motivation is at a super low. I feel like I don't care anymore because I know I'll be making enough and I should still have a little spending money.

I won't be able to drive my truck anymore because that's another 100$ a month.