Job assistance for mental disabilities

giantyx

Anyone tried seeking help from organizations that assist people with mental disabilities to find jobs? How did it turn out? After failing countless times at working a normal job i believe that my social anxiety has worsened to an extent that it has become a disability in my life.

OceanMist

I used Job Link and got the job I have now. I'm not getting enough hours but the job is a delivery driving which is doable.

The problem is SA is a disability, but if you can work a job full time, which pretty much everyone with SA can, then you can't get disability unless you go in there and lie to the govt. That's how it is in the US.

giantyx

I used Job Link and got the job I have now. I'm not getting enough hours but the job is a delivery driving which is doable.

The problem is SA is a disability, but if you can work a job full time, which pretty much everyone with SA can, then you can't get disability unless you go in there and lie to the govt. That's how it is in the US.

I cant work a normal job full-time, does that make me a disable? Honestly Im not looking the easy way out to be a disable, but i really tried doing normal jobs but i would just freak out and run away after a few days.

OceanMist

I cant work a normal job full-time, does that make me a disable? Honestly Im not looking the easy way out to be a disable, but i really tried doing normal jobs but i would just freak out and run away after a few days.

In my own personal opinion, that is total BS if you think you can't work full time just because you are afraid.

There are jobs that may be difficult but doable.

You can walk, yes? You can stand up? You know english, obviously. Then you can work full time.

Just in your post your writing is proper which tells me that you are smart enough to work full time too. I've met some really dumb people that work full time, so yeah.

giantyx

I may be over paranoid, but the reason that i have trouble getting help may be because people just find it absurd at the fact that i cant talk to people and i want a job with minimal social interaction. By talking to them they would have already doubted you. i just feel that in my country to receive help u have to be evidently obvious from your appearance that u are disabled.

No offense, but people who are retarded are evident that they need help through their appearance, but people who have SA will always get doubted by people because of the fine margin btw being aloof and lazy, and being really anxious inside till u cannot function.

Social anxiety is just impossible in many people's eyes, because we look normal. No offense again, but only mutes get empathy but not us because we dun have anything evident to support our case. Our explanation that we get anxious and unable to speak only gets viewed as something that is absurd by most people, not because they are evil but there is not enough understanding about this medical condition. Even medical science cannot explain why this is so simply cause there is no cure for it. this is how the world is that makes it so hard for us to be understood.

giantyx

In my own personal opinion, that is total BS if you think you can't work full time just because you are afraid.

There are jobs that may be difficult but doable.

You can walk, yes? You can stand up? You know english, obviously. Then you can work full time.

Just in your post your writing is proper which tells me that you are smart enough to work full time too. I've met some really dumb people that work full time, so yeah.

There are many other people with SA that cant work either, so u are saying all of us are BS? Its has to do with mental barrier, not physically so either u dun have SA or ur SA is not severe enuf for u to understand.

Last edited:

OceanMist

There are many other people with SA that cant work either, so u are saying all of us are BS? Its has to do with mental barrier, not physically so either u dun have SA or ur SA is not severe enuf for u to understand.

Yes, I am saying that.

I have severe SA but I have had the courage to work many different jobs throughout my life.

Nobody should be given disability checks just because they are afraid of going to work.

I do console with you because yes, it is harder for people like us to work. But we shouldn't be getting paid $800/mo or whatever it is to sit at home all day. That's just BS, I'm sorry.

I'm one of the people that are out there working and there is no reason someone who stays home and doesn't work should be making more money than me.

Nathália

Try talking to a therapist if you can so they can help to decide that, it would also help your case by a lot if you had it documented Or going to a special Doctor to talk to them about your problems with anxiety.

Try to see if you have a local vocational rehab center so they can help you with a job, because many people with anxiety do have issues with staying in school full time or going to work full time because it's too stressful on them and can have other things going on with them. If you need help and you know it then go get it. Have you ever tried to work many hours? Try finding a community center so they can help you find help.

When you're on disability many times you have to be in treatment too because they want to see you progress. You have to show that you are trying. Anxiety can be that overwhelming some people even have symptoms with it.

There are so many alternative communities out there for people with anxiety to help them to get back on their feet. Try to see if you have a recovery center that helps people with mental illnesses.

Edit: Also you can do a search online by saying "help with anxiety in (city name)" and it might come up with good options for you. If you really feel this strong and that your anxiety is too much, help is the best way to go.

Last edited:

gustavofring

Social anxiety is just impossible in many people's eyes, because we look normal. No offense again, but only mutes get empathy but not us because we dun have anything evident to support our case. Our explanation that we get anxious and unable to speak only gets viewed as something that is absurd by most people, not because they are evil but there is not enough understanding about this medical condition.

I kind of agree when you say that people with a VISIBLE disability can sometimes get easier sympathy , but on the other hand it feels an awful lot like throwing a pity party by saying we can't work because of SA. On this forum alone many people have normal jobs or study fulltime. Sitting at home will accomplish nothing and will probably only worsen the condition anyway.

Nathália

No one sits at home on disability with anxiety issues. You have to go out because they know sitting only makes it worse.

Just find treatment, trust me. It will be best for you in all ways. If one just sits at home, they're even going to have trouble even getting assistance.

You cant let anxiety fully control you or you would have no where to go.

giantyx

Yes, I am saying that.

I have severe SA but I have had the courage to work many different jobs throughout my life.

Nobody should be given disability checks just because they are afraid of going to work.

I do console with you because yes, it is harder for people like us to work. But we shouldn't be getting paid $800/mo or whatever it is to sit at home all day. That's just BS, I'm sorry.

I'm one of the people that are out there working and there is no reason someone who stays home and doesn't work should be making more money than me.

I undertand, but im not asking to sit at home getting paid, my country does not have that kind of system anyway. Im asking to work on a disability aid, to work with someone who undertands my condition and can help me when i need. i dun wanna feel irresponsible and run from a job, but sometimes my anxiety gets so serious that im afraid i may go insane gg back to work.

giantyx

Try talking to a therapist if you can so they can help to decide that, it would also help your case by a lot if you had it documented Or going to a special Doctor to talk to them about your problems with anxiety.

Try to see if you have a local vocational rehab center so they can help you with a job, because many people with anxiety do have issues with staying in school full time or going to work full time because it's too stressful on them and can have other things going on with them. If you need help and you know it then go get it. Have you ever tried to work many hours? Try finding a community center so they can help you find help.

When you're on disability many times you have to be in treatment too because they want to see you progress. You have to show that you are trying. Anxiety can be that overwhelming some people even have symptoms with it.

There are so many alternative communities out there for people with anxiety to help them to get back on their feet. Try to see if you have a recovery center that helps people with mental illnesses.

Edit: Also you can do a search online by saying "help with anxiety in (city name)" and it might come up with good options for you. If you really feel this strong and that your anxiety is too much, help is the best way to go.

I have been on psychotherapy, medication, counselling, tried exposing myself, gg out everyday, trying to work, exercise, support groups, but nth helps i still feel terribly anxious. The only way im gg nw is to a welfare organization, i hope its gonna help.

Nathália

I have been on psychotherapy, medication, counselling, tried exposing myself, gg out everyday, trying to work, exercise, support groups, but nth helps i still feel terribly anxious. The only way im gg nw is to a welfare organization, i hope its gonna help.

You have to keep trying. What are you going to do when the welfare runs out?
You have to find a way. If that didn't work find new options and more healthy ways to help you cope with anxiety. Or you wont be able to do anything for yourself.

I went through different options that didn't work, but I kept finding new ones. Maybe you need to try a different kind of therapy or ask your family for more emotional support to help you get through anxiety provoking situations.

If you feel that's the way to go then fine, just saying what's after that?

razzle dazzle rose

Actually, anxiety is recognized as one of the disorders that qualifies for disability in the US. If you wanna go that route, you can qualify. When it gets to that very severe point, anxiety is disabling.

hoddesdon

In Australia, the civil service in each state (or at least some of them) has an office or unit which helps someone with a disability to get a job with the civil service.

razzle dazzle rose

No offense, but people who are retarded are evident that they need help through their appearance, but people who have SA will always get doubted by people because of the fine margin btw being aloof and lazy, and being really anxious inside till u cannot function.

Social anxiety is just impossible in many people's eyes, because we look normal.

Yes, this. I am often hesitant to seek help because I look normal. And I can talk when I have to, like to therapists and counselors. This often confuses them. I dunno. I was thinking that if I am gonna go to a therapist, I have to skip the makeup and wear my raggediest clothes to be taken seriously or something.

razzle dazzle rose

There is no shame in that. Do what you have to do.

hexagon_sun

oceanmist, I kinda doubt you have SA as well. There is nothing wrong with asking for a little government assistance until giantyx can figure out how to manage the disorder. It takes a lot of courage to admit you need help. There are a lot of people who have taken advantage of such programs and have end up leading indepdant productive lives. Look at J.K. Rowling! She was on welfare in the UK and ended-up being a multimillionaire author. Sometimes you just need a little time to gain the perspective you need. Wisdom comes with time.

hexagon_sun

The worst advice you can get from anyone is to "suck-it-up." And I'm surprised anyone on this forum would say that???? Is this for support or to make us feel more alienated?

hexagon_sun

I used to beat myself for years thinking I was a loser, a slacker, mentally handicapped, w/e; until I realized the problem wasn't me. The problem is with society. SA is part of a much bigger problem in the world...