I've had enough... I'm leaving

krs2snow

O.K. McCandless. Remember NOT to eat the poisonous roots and say a little "Hey" to Thoreau & Kerouac while ur out there.

Last edited:

Sacrament

It's not going to work. At some point, slight dementia will set in, and you'll realize that it's not as easy as you think to hunt for food, not to mention you'll probably eat something poisonous.

Seems idyllic, but only for a short period of time (a few days tops, and with proper supplies).

Lea

Banned
It's not going to work. At some point, slight dementia will set in, and you'll realize that it's not as easy as you think to hunt for food, not to mention you'll probably eat something poisonous.

It is more easy to poison yourself with today´s civilization food ::p:

Walk

That's pretty cool.

From so much isolation from civilization, you're probably going to see life differently from then on.

Adventure- I'm for it.

You lucky bastard I'm so jealous :D Do it and don't listen to people who say to you don't do it... You can get hit by a car or a chair can fall from 21 floor on your head in the city... You can get ill from other people(swine flu, flu...). Terrorists can kill you. Or some drunk people can beat you to death. If people think that living in the city is so safe, think again.
A lot of things can happen in this modern society too. If it's your dream and you have courage and knowledge and possibilities to do that then it's you choice. Good luck!

cosmosis

Sounds like an adventure. Keep us updated on how it goes. I'm sure you will eventually get lonely. But consider that a good thing. Maybe you can come back with a better perspective..one that wants to be more with people instead of being afraid of them. I wish I had the option of getting away like that when I needed it. Good luck.

losttroy

Well, I have to say this is MUCH better than offing yourself, duder!! :cool: I have had this idea before too, only I had a wonderful girl pop into my life just before leaving. Suffice to say, I haven't left yet.:)

Love_Etc

Hey everyone!

I'm reporting back as promised though I had some problems with network connection here (the signal is really weak). Also the solar cell power isn't functioning as it should so i use my mobile only for urgence (and writing here :)).
Well I'm living like this now for about 2 months (today is the 49th day). It was hard druing January and first half of February as it was so cold and these wooden walls let some cold air in at some spots.
But hey, now it's a whole new world here; it's becoming really warm (I wore t-shirt last saturday) and the greenery is starting to come to life. It's perfect.

I had problems with food because it was hard to catch anything (except a rabbit one time :)) so I had to call one of my friends who delivered food to me as far as he could and we would drag the crate on improvised sledges then to get it to my shack. So for now I have it enough.

Here I don't have to worry about social phobia and I can't tell how I feel. It's like the best freedom feeling.

DafT

Thats the type of thing I've thought about on many an occasion, though never in the sense that it would be possible in reality. I must say I'm kinda jealous even with how much hardship it involves. Its a little less feasible here in South Africa with the warm climate and really inhospitable landscape :/

Keep up posted on how it goes. Who knows, you may be able to write your own Hatchet afterwards :) (Im referring to the book of that name).

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
It sounds like a blast to me.

If nothing else, you should be gathering a real feeling of male-pride at the fact that you're an-honest-to-God survivalist now.

Hopefully you'll be able to spread some of that confidence into other areas of your life where it might be a little thin.

Aru_Sarutobi

AWESOMENESS, lol I really wish I lived in the wilderness, lucky hearing nothing but the birds and trees. Because right now I hear nothing but cars!

bony666

The society and all these unwritten rules puts just too much pressure on me. So I've decided to do what I was thinking for the past year - I'm going to live in wilderness for some years :)

This might sound crazy but I was unknowingly preparing myself for this. My grandfather built a small wooden shack when he was alive so he could go there for some time to relax. The shack is situated really really deep in the forest - i checked out on Google Earth and the nearest village is 300 kilometers away! There is, though, a road nearby (around 5 or 10km away) but now it's not used anymore and is probably overgrown with plants.
The shack has a small stove in it and an improvised bed and also some other things which are all hand made like table and pair of chairs if I recall correct.

So this is a perfect spot for me. I won't bother to try to tell how beautiful the landscape is around cause there are no words to describe it. There are some lakes around an a river nearby.

So now, I will take spend my savings on one solar cell plate to power my notebook in the evenings. I have already arranged for 3g internet and paid for one year ahead as I have 3g card in my notebook so I'll have internet access and will report here if anyone will be curious.
Will also buy some food for starters. I am aware that the first few months it might be hard because I'll have to fish and catch some other animals to survive but I have skills for that (been in a survival camp for one month two years ago).

I have everything planned out and I can't wait. But I must not rush, there are things which need to be taken care of first. My mother is already notified about this although she isn't very pleasant with this idea. Anyway, she agreed to drive me to the nearest location. And when I was a kid I was in this shack for holidays for a few weeks and it was fantastic!!

The only thing I haven't figured out is how I will transport all things to the shack. I have one fully loaded big rucksack and a big bag of important stuff.

See you all!

waoooo, you guy are really bold !!! wish you all the best: it reminds me about the film: 'in the wild' an amazing movie that you should definetly watch before leaving for the forest; it contains lots of helpful survival strategies

Love_Etc

I have watched tons of movies ala In the wild, Alone in the wilderness, survival guides, Man vs. Wild :), survivorman :)...

But I have a place to stay (shack) and a beautiful view.