I've been to the psychiatrist...

Daniel089

Second time, and to another person this time. She is really known here, and the main reason I payed her a visit is because of my SA, and because I wanted to start CBT because I have heard much of it, mostly on this forum and elswhere too...

So we talked a lot about myself, everything with me vs. others, about my lack of friends, about how difficult it is for me to start conversation with someone, etc. She asked me to rate my SA from a scale from 1 to 3. I rated 2 (medium).

And from what she heard she said its 1 or 2, I obviously can talk to people, I'm just afraid to make others realize that I'm a really introvert person and have no friends and that I'm pretty shy and all. So this is fear number 1. Fear no.2. is that I have trouble finding a common topic while talking to another person.

In the end she said CBT is not a bad idea, but she also gives psychodrama or self-knowledge courses, these are group therapies, where you "imitate" social situations, she says they may be more effective than CBT, but they definately take into consideration every of my emotions, instead of CBT. And since I never had anything against group therapies I think I'll give this a shot later, though I'll visit her 3 weeks later, so what I'm starting is similiar to a cognitive therapy - I just need to rate myself from many aspects when I interact with others.

I am really curious of what will come out of this...

Daniel089

Your post has got a positive feel about it….seems as though you are on the right path….

Yes, I do feel positive about nearly everything generally, but I do have to be among people to reach progress. But since there is no turning back (because I don't want to be a loner) I have to face my fears.

lyricalliaisons

That sounds like a good idea :) I've always wanted to try something like that, except for the group part. I hope the CBT works for you :)