its just me or..?

Ammako

So every time I talk with people I just know,I just answer it. It's really hard for me to make a small talk. I only show my "real" me at home. I even make a imagination conversation in my head. (Yes,I daydreaming A LOT) in my imagination I'm funny,talkative,so different than me in real life. It is just me or everybody who have SA like this? I think I'm desperate :'(

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
So every time I talk with people I just know,I just answer it. It's really hard for me to make a small talk. I only show my "real" me at home. I even make a imagination conversation in my head. (Yes,I daydreaming A LOT) in my imagination I'm funny,talkative,so different than me in real life. It is just me or everybody who have SA like this? I think I'm desperate :'(

Well... I can't speak for everyone with social anxiety, but I can definitely relate and am like this. So it's definitely not just you. I just answer when I talk with people too. I'm guessing you rarely start conversations? If so... me too! My responses are usually: "Yes", "No", "Uh-huh...". Very matter-of-fact, straight-forward and to the point. Mostly those responses of mine just trail off into awkward silence.

Oh, the imaginary conversations! I have those in my head as well, all the time. I even manage to make myself laugh-out-loud, sometimes, comin' up with jokes. So, obviously, I'm quite funny. That makes me sound arrogant, doesn't it? :eek:mg:

In contrast too, puttin' me in an actually social setting, group or just one-on-one - nothin'! Just a blank stare, just like my mind - because it's gone blank too. So much like you - or maybe unlike you? - I don't really show my "real" self. I think, for me, it could be because of how people will react. Usually I get laughed at when I'm tryin to be or being serious. Whether this laughter is unintentional, I can't be sure. Anyway, you're not alone, mate... :thumbup:

jaim38

You are not alone. It's also hard for me to talk to strangers and like Graeme, I give one-word answers a lot. But at home, I often say whatever comes to mind and just be me. And in my daydreams, my protagonist is talkative, funny, and wittier than I am.

jitter

One of the worst things about small talk I find is that people are quick to use it to judge a person.
(my 2 cents, 1st post)
Jitter

neardeath

I get that. It's even hard to have a conversation with my own kids. Then I am hard on myself for always saying something slightly inappropriate. You are not alone.

Esperance

It happens to me too. In general, I need at least to know someone ( that means I know who they are and that I can trust them ) since 3 month to talk with them. During the first months, I can't answer to anybody. It's impossible, I see every new people as hostile, someone that can very easily hurt me.
And I do those daydream a lot too. I like to imagine I am, well, normal you know, someone who can talk to others very easily ....
But in the reality, this is more like

X : Hi, how are you doing :) ?
Me : I'm alright
X : You know, when someone is polite, he asks it too ...
Me : Ah ... yes. How are you doing ?

Damn, why do I have to be that awkward in real life...