Is this common behavior?

coyote

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

the behavior you described doesn't sound related to social anxiety

but i've learned that there are lots of people with social anxiety who have any number of other mental and/or emotional problems - which may, in fact, be worse than their anxiety issues

DepravedFurball

Kinda looks to me like he's got more going on than just social anxieties. I mean, it sounds like he's obsessive, controlling, manipulative, power-loving, misogynistic, and generally, just an arse.

It's good that you've cut him out of your life completely... 'cause nothing good would come from consorting with a guy like that.

coyote

In your experience, is it possible that someone with SA would create a false persona as a coping mechanism?

that could be - i think it's pretty common for people to learn to present themselves differently in front of others as protection from what they perceive as a scary and hostile world - even when the threat is nonexistent

Kiwong

He sounds like he has a controlling personality, perhaps narcissistic tendencies, also obsessive almost stalking live behaviours. I think you had every right to tell him to back off. His behaviour is inappropriate. Social anxiety is more about a lack of confidence in communicating with people for fear of being judged, it is a difficulty in social situations.

Last edited:

SonicMan

He sounds like an arrogant, selfish, sexist douche bag. Definitely keep clear of him. I hate men like that, it makes me ashamed to be male.

ImNotMyIllness

He may very well have social anxiety but it has NOTHING to do with his behavior. People with Social Anxiety are just like other people too....some good, some not. He seems very abusive and controlling. He may even be a sociopath......The slight flirtation on your part was a mistake...although, being that we are sexual beings, we can sometimes unconsciously flirt with the opposite sex. It's not a crime but it can invite unwanted forward advances. This is someone that you can not have a friendship with. Also, he should be fired from his job for abusing his position, sexual harassment and gender bigotry.
Keep your distance from him. Report him to the HR. And also realize that a person who behaves in this manner may also be dangerous. You might have to file a restraining order.

Last edited:

sahxox

His behaviour is definitely not something affiliated with social anxiety... he sounds like an effwit. Sorry you had to deal with this treatment.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
He may very well have social anxiety but it has NOTHING to do with his behavior. People with Social Anxiety are just like other people too

Yes, this was my thought. Regardless to whether or not he has SA, that's not an ok way to act. If I were to speculate, based on his other prejudices, he may assume SA means no social skills and saying things out of turn, thus "justifying" his statements.

Either way, People with SA have no more a difficult time acting civil than the person without the issue. In reality, there is nothing the disorder "makes" us do or not do, and should not be let off the hook because of it.

So, treat this guy no differently than you would someone you didn't speculate had SA.