Is not being affectionate a Social Phobia symptom?

Migy

When people are affectionate with me by hugging me I'll lightly hug them back. But I'm not one to initiate a hug by stepping forward to give one a hug to get them to hug me back. Someone high fives me I'll high five them back. Someone wants to shake my hand I'll shake their hand back. But I've never been one to make that "First move."

I mean I'm very curtious and polite with manners around people. I do not have anything personal with people, I'm not a germaphobe person. It's like it just never occurs to me. I'm even the same way with children, I see my friend Jenn at work be very affectionate with kids, leaning down to hug them out of fondness. But I'm not like that. I have no problem with kids, when I toddler comes up to ask me something I'm very gentle and calm in my demenor to them, talking to them kindly. There has been a couple of times when a toddler came up to me and hugged me around me waist, and it was nice, and I would pat my hand on their shoulder, or back and smile to them.

On another note, it's not like I have never kissed a girl before. I've kissed a few women deeply with passion, but it's not like I've reached down to make "the move."

Illusions

I'm pretty much the same. People I know pat my back, hug, link arms with me, lean against me when they laugh, that sort of thing... but I'm never the one to initiate it. I have a feeling it's because SA sufferers avoid/fear intimacy with people, be it emotional or physical, and distance themselves.

Last edited:

JamesSmith

This is kind of a funky topic to talk about. I think it's a situational thing. Like lets say I'm at work and almost run into a guy and he touches my arm and says sorry and laughs and said we almost collided. I'm not going to love the arm touch. Now if an attractive woman did the exact same thing to me, I'm going to kind of like it. Hugs with men are awkward for me, but the few times I hugged a woman I loved it.

Social phobia is linked to lack of affection. But have you ever seen those really talkative people who aren't shy at all, have you seen those people say "nobody touch me." I believe there are others that aren't big on affection too that aren't SA people, so I guess it depends on the individual.

fitftw

I hate when a jovial smiling person talks to me or wants to high five or something. I must look like the most depressing person on earth to talk to because I don't share that emotional lust for life BS.

JamieD

Seriously, i could have wrote that myself. I'm exactly the same, apart from the very last sentence in the last paragraph.

Last edited:

Predacon

It probably depends on the individual, someone with SA is less likely to initiate such things, but there are plenty of other people without SA who aren't overly affecitionate either.