Is it weird to go on vacation completely alone

loh71

I haven't taken a vacation or even a short trip to another city for many years because I haven't had anyone to go with. Has anyone traveled alone for strictly leisurely purposes and enjoyed exploring a whole new place? Sure anxiety levels will rise and maybe a touch of loneliness but at least it won't be boring, or as boring as sitting at home.

If somebody asks me where I'm going I will probably lie and say it's work related so I don't have to feel the shame. lol ahh pathetic

Tiercel

My one uncle goes everywhere by himself. I don't know if he just never found the right person or if he just doesn't care to, but it hasn't stopped him from visiting places that interest him. Of course he likes to go looking for snakes, lizards, and alligators, so he doesn't have to do that with someone else.

If I had the means to travel alone I definitely would. Sure, it's nice to share things with other people, but it's not a requirement. Just realize that someday you won't be able to travel as easily, and then you'll be wishing you had gone on those vacations.

LazyHermitCrab

lots of people travel alone. if you look closely in hotels there's singles walking around and noone whines about it :) i didn't go on a long trip by myself but drove a couple hours into the country and my navigator stopped working so it wasn't fun. although i found a nice restuarant and saw beautiful horses and all that. just be prepared and maybe bring your laptop if you can.

coyote

When I was overseas in the Marines, I often took leave and traveled about on my own.

I saw a lot of cool places and went through loads of film [for you young people - once upon a time, cameras captured images on celluloid film - only 36 images per roll, so you had to be much more selective about what you photographed or else carry lots of rolls of film with you].

I really stood out though - lonely, white, blonde, American guy with a camera.

mads

In the past I travelled alone a lot. Also when I had SA. I liked it a lot to get away from everything. I sometimes went to Sweden to walk in the mountains in the north, was really nice.

But try to talk to people there, remember you will probably only see them 1 time in life, so dont worry about what they should think as you will never see them again.

And yes a lot of people travel alone these days

loh71

Tiercel: That is how I see it too. Time is passing me by and I just have to make the best of the situation while I still can.

LazyHermit: Good to know and I definitely won't leave home without my laptop or else I would feel more lost than you did on your countryside drive. I've adapted to being alone but not alone without easy internet access. That would be a whole different struggle.

Coyote: Thats pretty cool to have a career that let you see the world.

mads: That is a good way of looking at things. I'm gonna keep telling myself that when I feel that I'm sticking out in a crowd or just felt embarrassed in front of a stranger "who cares I'm skipping town in a couple of days"

mads

Tiercel: That is how I see it too. Time is passing me by and I just have to make the best of the situation while I still can.

LazyHermit: Good to know and I definitely won't leave home without my laptop or else I would feel more lost than you did on your countryside drive. I've adapted to being alone but not alone without easy internet access. That would be a whole different struggle.

Coyote: Thats pretty cool to have a career that let you see the world.

mads: That is a good way of looking at things. I'm gonna keep telling myself that when I feel that I'm sticking out in a crowd or just felt embarrassed in front of a stranger "who cares I'm skipping town in a couple of days"

Excactly. Have you decided where to go yet?

Illusions

Isn't it perfectly normal to travel alone? I know several people who've done just that. In fact, I plan on going to Italy next year, and it's very probable that I won't have anyone to go with since it's expensive, but I don't mind. :)

zav943

whoa! I *just* posted a very similar thread about how annoyed I am that I've never gone vacationing with anyone but my parents!

I suppose going it alone is something I'd never had a chance to think about because I've always assumed it's a norm to have someone with you (especially for the group activities such as hiking, and because people who do certain things alone may come off as weird - but why should I care what people think)...maybe now that you mention it I might go alone somewhere...maybe Vancouver! In fact...YES, I WILL GO TO VANCOUVER!

staticreflex

If I don't have anyone to go with, I just go it alone. I think I prefer to go with other people because I have more fun, but not having anyone to go with has never stopped me (my anxiety has though!) If the point is just that you want to go somewhere, I say just do it. If you want to get to know other people though I would suggest trying to go with someone else.

zav943

You guys should share with us stories from your vacations alone. I want to know how it felt and what you did

mads

whoa! I *just* posted a very similar thread about how annoyed I am that I've never gone vacationing with anyone but my parents!

I suppose going it alone is something I'd never had a chance to think about because I've always assumed it's a norm to have someone with you (especially for the group activities such as hiking, and because people who do certain things alone may come off as weird - but why should I care what people think)...maybe now that you mention it I might go alone somewhere...maybe Vancouver! In fact...YES, I WILL GO TO VANCOUVER!

Vancouver is an amazing place. Do go and do enjoy it.

loh71

Excactly. Have you decided where to go yet?

Yep, Pittsburgh, PA. It always appears on documentary shows for having interesting neighborhoods and restaurants. It seems to have alot of character. Also the weather will probably be great compared to southern, gulf coast humidity.

I've been considering it for several weeks but kept talking myself out of it. So I created this thread and told myself I will follow whatever the consensus. Purchased the tickets soon after everybody responded, before I could change my mind lol. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rembrandt Broam

When I was overseas in the Marines, I often took leave and traveled about on my own.

I saw a lot of cool places and went through loads of film [for you young people - once upon a time, cameras captured images on celluloid film - only 36 images per roll, so you had to be much more selective about what you photographed or else carry lots of rolls of film with you].

Interesting. So how did you get this "film" into Photoshop? Did you have to buy a special USB attachment to feed it into the computer?

Rembrandt Broam

That last bit was very George Costanza-esque. :D

I've travelled alone quite a bit, and always enjoyed it. I get to go where I want, when I want, and I get to do what I want to do when I get there on my own schedule. I enjoy travelling with other people too, but that makes it a totally different experience for me. There's something very refreshing to me about going somewhere by myself.

EscapeArtist

I don't think it's weird at all, either. Practice, speak to strangers, while you're there, as mads said, you'll never see or hear from those people again!

Personally I wouldn't be able to go on a vacation alone, but that's only because i'm reaching a point where I'm so lonely that I think i'd wallow about the fact that I have nobody to share it with. I wish I could find the will to travel alone though, it would be a life saver.

Zav, what attracts you to Vancouver? Curious :p

Not at all. I want to travel to Australia alone. Still configuring on how to obtaining the right kind of visa to go and how to get the money. You should travel out more often...

loh71

I don't think it's weird at all, either. Practice, speak to strangers, while you're there, as mads said, you'll never see or hear from those people again!

Personally I wouldn't be able to go on a vacation alone, but that's only because i'm reaching a point where I'm so lonely that I think i'd wallow about the fact that I have nobody to share it with. I wish I could find the will to travel alone though, it would be a life saver.

Zav, what attracts you to Vancouver? Curious :p

That is one of the things I will usually worry about and use to psych myself out. But I'm gonna ignore it and just see how it goes. I figure I may not have the time of my life but I probably won't regret it either.

mads

Yep, Pittsburgh, PA. It always appears on documentary shows for having interesting neighborhoods and restaurants. It seems to have alot of character. Also the weather will probably be great compared to southern, gulf coast humidity.

I've been considering it for several weeks but kept talking myself out of it. So I created this thread and told myself I will follow whatever the consensus. Purchased the tickets soon after everybody responded, before I could change my mind lol. Thanks for the encouragement.

Have a great trip buddy. Remember to take pics:)