Is it normal for social people to be physical?

3lefts

Is it normal for social people to be physical? And is there a difference in meaning if there is a difference in gender?
Things like putting their hand on your arm whilst talking or your waist when walking around you. Leaning in, placing themselves unnecessarily close to you, just little things, but physical things.
Is this normal, any opinions ..............?

3lefts

Hrm. Thank you for replying!
I originally thought it was normal as well, but lately it's just been making me think.
I guess I really am too uncomfortable with people.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I don't think it's weird for people to be physical, but I think it depends on the person. I see people touching all the time, but I think lots of people keep there distance and we just don't notice them as much. I don't think being physical and comfortable is directly correlated with SA or being socially shy.

Rembrandt Broam

I think it's a cultural thing. A while ago I was talking to an Italian lady, and at one point in the conversation she wanted to stress her agreement with what I'd just said and placed her hand on my arm to do this. I kind of had a bit of a "Whuh??" moment, because English people don't tend to do that unless they know the person pretty well, but I think it is more common in other countries.

Some people don't seem to get the concept of physical space in general though, which kind of irritates me. If someone is standing right by me when talking to me, it definitely makes me feel very uncomfortable. I wonder if some people do it deliberately to try to intimidate.

coyote

I think it's a cultural thing. A while ago I was talking to an Italian lady, and at one point in the conversation she wanted to stress her agreement with what I'd just said and placed her hand on my arm to do this. I kind of had a bit of a "Whuh??" moment, because English people don't tend to do that unless they know the person pretty well, but I think it is more common in other countries.

Some people don't seem to get the concept of physical space in general though, which kind of irritates me. If someone is standing right by me when talking to me, it definitely makes me feel very uncomfortable. I wonder if some people do it deliberately to try to intimidate.

yes, culture and geography

I've noticed that people in large cities are used to having less personal space and stand closer to each other and even touch more, while people in rural areas or small town tend to stand far apart and keep their hands in their pockets

Phoenixx

I've never really known it to be normal for social people to be physical unless they really knew each other.

I remember this one time when I was in the store I was just minding my own business browsing the clothing racks when this woman next to me just starts talking to me. Well that's fine and all, but every time she talked to me she would tap my arm or touch my shoulder. At one point she literally held my arm. I was trying to be nice, smile, and nod my head as she spoke, but in my mind I was freaking out. I got out of there as fast as I could. I ended up staying in other departments and wouldn't go back to the clothing section until I saw her leave.

Acegame

I often see men do it who are trying to seduce a woman. At the gym where i go to, there's an instructor who always touches attractive girls like this. But i've never seen him touch a guy or a non-attractive girl.

But there are people who just do this natural because of the environment or culture they are raised in and than it doesn't bother me much. Often you can just easily tell when its natural or not. I do mind when people who you are talking stand so close that you're cross eyed. Then i don't care if its natural or not, thats just irritating.

Last edited: