Interview went HORRIBLE, feel so stupid

My anxiety bites again...Today I had a SIMPLE phone interview for a piddly little bank job and everyone has told me they hire anyone at this place. (which makes me feel even worse because I'll feel like a TOTAL loser if I, a college grad, can't get hired). I had been worrying about this all night. It was the simplest ofquestions, but I made myself look like a complete idiot because I just froze. I said "um" about every 5 seconds. When I was telling her about computer experience and programs I was familiar with, I rambled about Microsoft Word , said I had basic excel skills but needed to brush up on that, and then said I was good with powerpoint and I was "able to make...um, um, um..." literally couldn't think of the word "presentations"!!! She had to finish my sentence for me. She asked if I had any questions, and I was so nervous and ready to get off the phone that I said "i don't think so, no". I think that is probably a huge no-no because it makes it seem like I have no real interest. Went 5 shorter than I expected, but then, surprisingly she said I would be contacted in the next 7 business days about setting up a face-to-face interview at the local branch of the bank.

But it went so bad that I'm wondering if she just says that to everyone, but they might just not call back? Do you think they would say a specific amount of days it would take or even mention that next step if they had no intention of following up?

Does anyone else look great on paper, but your anxiety renders you useless during an interview? This is becoming a real problem for me. I feel like I'm never gonna have a job because I can't get past the interview.::(: I feel so bad, especially since my friend is applying for the same job and she will without a doubt be hired easily (she is one of those self-assured, outgoing people )

Niteowl

Sorry to hear about the interview - obviously you're quite bothered by it, but I wouldn't worry just yet. If it's true that 10% of people have social anxiety in some form, then they must have had many applicants struggling with the interview in the past. I don't really know, but if I had no intention of arranging a face-to-face interview, I wouldn't have said to anticipate a call. I think that's just courtesy - don't promise a call and keep someone waiting by the phone, right? You didn't hint at any uncertainty anyway, from what you said it seemed to mean that you should expect one. My basis for this is purely in manners, so my words might not mean much but I really do hope you get the call for the interview.

I suppose it's just a preliminary thing really - you can't make a judgement about somebody over the phone. I know that interviews are always difficult, but if you do get invited for it, I think you'll do better - I always find it that bit easier face-to-face, where I can judge their responses and know how much or how little to say. Good luck with the job!

miss_amy

Maybe it didn't go so bad in their eyes and I'm sure they expect some nerves in these situations. Don't give up hope just yet.
Good luck!

Rot

Well, we all tend to make things worse than they are. It probably didn't go as good as you wanted, but not as bad as you think.

Don't lose the hope! There's nothing lost yet. And even if they don't finally hire you, this is a experience to learn from. We learn much more from bad experiences. What's important is not to give up. It's a question of practice.

You can also train yourself talking by phone or with strangers (via Skype, for example), and it will be always good for you.

And interviewers know that people is very nervous when being interviewed! All people are nervous in a interview, even the outgoing ones.

Good luck! ;)

Last edited:
Of course you were really nervous, but isn't that a normal thing during an interview..?:)
I guess that happened so many times before, so it's nothing new..:)

I see that you have a very hard time, about saying anything weird. I don't think it is weird, what you have said at the end.
A lot of people say that, and so many people feel uncomfortable ending a conversation.
You should be a little bit more relaxed about your way of speaking, maybe you should try 'slow-talk' ? It helps a lot to relax.
Try to raduate calm and let your mind speak, and try to talk slowly, no pressure, just take all the time and you have 'time to think'

But I think you should not give up hope, and look forward to the invitation and train yourself to present well and maybe ask a family member or a friend to practice together, doing an interview..?:)
(of course, ask them: how it went, how you are doing, if you seem comfortable, if they have suggestions about it, etc.)

I hope you will have a chance on this job..!!
Maybe a few weeks later you will have the job and think like
'What the heck have I been so worried about' :confused:

Good luck pal. Don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself space.

Last edited:

dutchguy

Don't worry. Interviewers know that people are stressed during a job interview.

Some interviewers even actually try to push their interviewee to their limits, not only to see how people act under pressure, but also because people tend to be more honest under stress. Note that a good interviewer doesn't expect you to be good at being interviewed; they expect you to be good at your job; and that's what they're selecting for.

I actually had a similar experience where I thought I had the worst interview of my life, but in the end they still hired me ánd still keep on complimenting me on my work. One bad job interview says nothing about you nor your qualities.

JonnyD

by your description, not that bad, i've done worst and seen worst... there's once a 17yo kid whom i was at the room and he wouldn't talk, his mother did all the talking...