I'm so embarrassed...just a story

Harleyq

At work tonight, someone asked me to get him some sriracha (chili) sauce and as I was bringing it to him, I noticed it needed to be shaken up. So I shook it without checking if the lid was closed and it sprayed directly into my eyes.

So I had to rush into the kitchen and the manager, the dishwasher, and all the cooks crowded around me to help me wash my eyes out. When I could finally see, the first thing I see is all of them just gawking at me.

And then I still had 3 tables to wait on so I had to face all 3 of them with red, swollen eyes and explain what happened.

I really could've crawled under a rock and died. The burning sensation was nothing compared to the embarrassment of facing all those people. Actually, it was kinda awesome cause when I dunked my eyes into the bowl of water, I didn't actually feel the water on my eyeballs lol. I probably shouldn't be thinking that's awesome...

When my coworker asked what happened, I couldn't bear to tell her the truth. So I lied and said that as I was going through the bar door, someone was coming out and I got surprised and clenched around the bottle. I think it's a good one.

Last edited:

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
There's no way I could do your job, HQ. I know you get that a lot around here, but it's only because so many of us are empathizing with you and hoping that you do well in what most of us would agree is really a tough occupation for any SAer.

Hopefully as you get used to the place and your co-workers, your anxiety will lessen and you'll be able to be more like yourself around there. Once you're comfortable with your surroundings, little things like what happened today will probably happen less.

I think your nerves are just getting the best of you right now.

Harleyq

There's no way I could do your job, HQ. I know you get that a lot around here, but it's only because so many of us are empathizing with you and hoping that you do well in what most of us would agree is really a tough occupation for any SAer.

Hopefully as you get used to the place and your co-workers, your anxiety will lessen and you'll be able to be more like yourself around there. Once you're comfortable with your surroundings, little things like what happened today will probably happen less.

I think your nerves are just getting the best of you right now.

Yeah, I'm pretty over it, I just needed to tell the truth to someone and get it all out. Actually, my manager was going to send me home early but after an hour or a half hour my eyes stopped being so red and I told her I wanted to stay for the rest of my shift, so I'm a little proud of that part.

After I started feeling better I kept thinking "After this, I need to be allowed to carry mace"

richi1173

Yeah, I'm pretty over it, I just needed to tell the truth to someone and get it all out. Actually, my manager was going to send me home early but after an hour or a half hour my eyes stopped being so red and I told her I wanted to stay for the rest of my shift, so I'm a little proud of that part.

After I started feeling better I kept thinking "After this, I need to be allowed to carry mace"

You are as brave as you are beautiful =]. Almost everybody else would have taken the chance and gone home. It just goes to show you, you have as much or even better resolve than most people and if you weren't being weighed down by your SA, you could accomplish anything you set your mind to.

agoraphobickatie

aww hq! i've always been the retarded person at work! haha.. i just learn to own it and laugh at myself when everyone else does :) i'm pretty good at making dumb mistakes, haha! i did have one 'waitress' job, if you'd call it that, for one summer.. i worked at a country club (golf course/community pool/tennis courts/the works) and it was the first time i had ever done anything in the food/beverage industry.. i worked for two days in 'the grill' which was a small restaurant where the golfers would come in and order a sandwich or something.. and then mothers day came up, and apparently the mothers day banquet was a big freakin' deal, and i was told i'd be working and waiting tables that day.. my (NEW) boss put me in one special room which was up a flight of stairs (OMG, seriously!?) haha.. but i was only going to have two tables or the morning brunch, two tables, one a 15 top and one 16 :eek: needless to say, as my first waitress experience EVER, it was HELL.. i was sweating, nervous, screwing everything up! bahhh it was terrible! thank God the tip was added to the tickets already, i made $150 in about two and a half hours! haha.. that was THE only upside! after that i demanded never to be put on the waitress schedule again! i ended up bar tending at the pool for the rest of the summer, which was pretty badass! haha :)
again, i totally envy you for being so brave to take on your job! you're an amazing person for facing your fears head on!!

Harleyq

15 or 16 people!?!? Oh my god, 5 or more people have me shaking in my boots, I could not imagine having a possible 31 people to take care of all at once.

agoraphobickatie

15 or 16 people!?!? Oh my god, 5 or more people have me shaking in my boots, I could not imagine having a possible 31 people to take care of all at once.

yeah i was like WHAT?!?! it was two groups of 15 that had reservations for mothers day so they put them in a room upstairs with one bigass table, haha.. i had one right after the other and i had NO idea what i was doing! crazy times! lol

jmroszczak

That sucks Major harley! Ive shaken things up here at home with out realizing the lid was'nt on and making a huge mess...I cant imagine doing it in public like at work..and in your eyes no less! *eek* ..but you got through it :D

I hope one day i have a job and earn money..an embarrassing moment like that would be worth it I think :)

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I flew the coop at a youth camp where I was counseling one summer after only one week of working there.

It got a little too weird for me in the middle of the annual cookout and I decided I had to go awol. :D

I told my friends I was just gonna go back to my bunk for some sunscreen, but when I got back to the guy's barracks, I quickly threw all my stuff into trash bags, tossed them into the back of my jeep, and hit I-40 like a bat out of hell. Ha Ha Ha

Outshined

props for waiting in the first place. I'd get too frustrated in that kind of environment. Back when I started my job, an old lady knocked over a huge glass bottle of valentina hot sauce off the display right where I was working. There was broken glass and a pool of hot sauce. It sprayed all over me and my friend working with me at the time. So I can sort of relate. lol