I'm sad

Dennis1980

Almost a year ago, I befriended a co-worker who is bi-polar. We became close, and I shared with her details about me that I never have with anybody else.
I don't have many friends, and she was probably the closest friend I ever had.
We had a big fight in December over a misunderstanding. We "got back together again" in January. But it wasn't like it was last year.
She has gotten a little more critcal of me over the past few weeks, but that's normal, because she was helping be more sociable.
Throughout our friendship she always suggested I go see a psychiatrist and a psychologist (I haven't seen a psychologist in years - my doctors said I was doing fine). Whenever she brought that up, I would normally change the subject or ignore her suggestion.
I wasn't seeing any professional, but I was seeing some social worker/advisor. During this time, I was doing what I always do with these people. I lied. After a certain amount of time, I start to lie to make myself less of a loser in the other person's eyes. So I knew if I went to see a psychiatrist/ologist, I would just lie and not talk about what is really bothering me (like sex). I don't want to waste my time and money on something that I know will not work.
I can't even do one CBT thingamajig. I have a book to write my emotions, but I just can't do it. I just ignore it.
I think I'm unfixable, and just buying time until I gain the courage to kill myself. Or hope I magically become better.
I don't think either will happen.

Well either way, I told my feelings to my friend. And she got really upset with me, and unfriended me because she doesn't want to spend time with a loser who doesn't want to better themselves. She also gave ame a bunch of other BS reasons, which could have been addressed immediately, but instead she chose to give me the cold shoulder until she got the courage to write me an e-mail weeks later.

I was sad that I lost a good friend at first. Then I was pissed. I really wanted to tell her off and point all of her mistakes and errors.
Then I was fine. I wrote her back essentially confirming that we end the friendship. I could spend hours telling you what I wrote, but essentially I said her friendship was unreliable and too dramatic for me. I did not want to be a part of something where we fight a lot, have to fear her ending the relationship every time something goes wrong in her life, having to explain my actions, etc....

Right now, I'm depressed. Not because I lost her friendship (I don't blame her - I would do the same thing), but because I can't keep friends. I will probably never make another true friend again. I'm going to be alone forever.
I never had a girlfriend, and I never will. I'm so lonely.
I can't take it anymore.

Last edited:

Lou-s-Darkness

I feel you, dude. Honestly, I can't keep friends either. I had a best friend, but she left...I had other friends, but they also all left. They would all just regroup and leave me out of it. I am no longer included in any of their social gatherings/discussions about anything. They find reasons and excuses for when I would catch them in the act of ditching me. I grew sick of it, and after everyone ditched I decided I will never trust anyone again. I talk to classmates who approach me, but I don't think of them as friends, even if they are really interesting. I know I will only get hurt if I approach them. It's hard knowing that there is something wrong with you and you can't make friends. People just flat out lie to me about why they don't text me or call after so long. I can see they want to end their relationship with me. What sucks is that I confided in them. Wish I could go back in time and undo whatever I confided in them. I have accepted that I will no longer be able to keep friends. It's not easy, but it's a harsh reality. I had no choice but to accept it, seeing as how I am seen as a weirdo who has issues. Anyway, sorry I'm not giving much advice :< And I'm single too, never been with anyone either...many people are like that. Don't feel alone.

MikeyC

I wasn't seeing any professional, but I was seeing some social worker/advisor. During this time, I was doing what I always do with these people. I lied. After a certain amount of time, I start to lie to make myself less of a loser in the other person's eyes. So I knew if I went to see a psychiatrist/ologist, I would just lie and not talk about what is really bothering me (like sex). I don't want to waste my time and money on something that I know will not work.
It's not working because you're lying. I know telling the absolute truth to a stranger is hard, but you've got to. You also don't have to start out by unleashing every problem you've got. Start small and then work through them with your psychologist.

Perhaps you were too "negative" for your friend? There's only a certain amount people can take. I would say that the fight you two had in December was the turning point of the friendship. Her having bi-polar disorder doesn't help, either.

Hang in there, man.

ImNotMyIllness

I agree with Mikey. You need to be honest, they're there to help, not to judge you. Until you can open up, you will always have issues. Doing it on your on, hasn't helped. So, why not just open up and let someone guide you-that's their job.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be with your ex-friend. Focus on getting better and things will improve.

jaim38

I can relate. I'm also not sure if I should keep in touch with many of my friends because I've been so negative which can rub off on other people. Plus they've done so much for me but I wasn't able to contribute the same amount. I recently admitted to a friend about my SA and other problems in an email, and it took him a week to reply. This is unusual because he usually replies to my chat messages and emails within a day or 2. I get the feeling he probably thinks I'm a burden and therefore doesn't want to associate with me any longer, but he doesn't dare say it outright. I don't know if I should continue the friendship. Maybe I'll disappear for 1 year to work on myself, then reappear after I become more successful.

ForWantOf

I know the feeling. I just hurt the best friend I ever had. She was always there for me, always. She offered me kindness and friendship until the very end, even when I didn't deserve it, and I pushed her away. I said something terrible to her. I don't know if she's coming back. I certainly wouldn't blame her if she didn't. Being around my constant negativity must be a chore. I'm never going to have another friend like her. I could have had a best friend forever. Why did I have to ruin everything? I'm so sick of hurting people. I'm sick of pushing people away. I just want my friend back.

Dennis1980

First of all, thanks for the responses.
As for the psychologist, It's not like I lie about every single thing. I do tell the truth, but let's say the doc tells me to do something to challenge myself. The next week I would tell them I did it, even though I didn't
And I also don't tell them many stories where I might come across badly. It's pathetic :(