I'm going to get braces to cure my depression and anxiety

Livingwithoutlivin

When my teeth started going crooked, shortly after losing my retainers is when I really started getting depressed. The reason I met the guy I was dating at the time, my first boyfriend, was because I was self-confident, with my new straight teeth, that I felt like I could show myself off.

But then when my teeth started to get crooked again, I started developing feelings of extreme regret and sadness, because they were around 4 thousand dollars and my mom paid for them, and I had lost the stupid retainers, being so careless.

Do any of you feel that part of your issues, have to do with self conciousness about your teeth?

Picture picture perfect

That's understandable. I feel the same way, but not about teeth, because I've never really needed anything done to them. I feel like that more about my face, and want to change it just a little bit. I know self-confidence won't improve everything, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

theblank

When I was 13 I went to the dentist and he said my teeth were borderline, but that I didn't have to get braces. He didn't say that I shouldn't get them, but that I didn't have to. Well that's all I needed to hear because I didn't want them and figured I would be dead by the time I was 25 so what's the point? Well I definitely regretted that decision because not only am I still alive (and pushing 40), but I've wished all along that I had straight teeth so that when I smile I don't look like such a goober. Not having straight teeth definitely affected my self esteem and kept me from pursuing whole heartedly the careers and relationships I really wanted. The good news is that I can still get them if I want to, the bad news is that I don't have the money.

lonelypothead

When I was 13 I went to the dentist and he said my teeth were borderline, but that I didn't have to get braces. He didn't say that I shouldn't get them, but that I didn't have to. Well that's all I needed to hear because I didn't want them and figured I would be dead by the time I was 25 so what's the point? Well I definitely regretted that decision because not only am I still alive (and pushing 40), but I've wished all along that I had straight teeth so that when I smile I don't look like such a goober. Not having straight teeth definitely affected my self esteem and kept me from pursuing whole heartedly the careers and relationships I really wanted. The good news is that I can still get them if I want to, the bad news is that I don't have the money.

I can relate. Right now I don't plan on being alive next year so I put off doing things that will benefit me in the future. I fear if I make it to 25 I will be in horrible mental/physical/emotional shape.

I like crooked teeth - it's the overly perfect looking ones that scare me.

(sorry, no offense to people with perfect teeth...)

Last edited:

theblank

I can relate. Right now I don't plan on being alive next year so I put off doing things that will benefit me in the future. I fear if I make it to 25 I will be in horrible mental/physical/emotional shape.

I hear you. You think life sucks and you'll be dead soon anyway so what's the point of trying?

I wish I had made better decisions for myself when I was younger and not been so negative in my thinking. Assuming I would die young or believing that I was screwed in general did not help me. When I was 17 I sat down under a tree and decided that I would give myself until 25 for things to get better. If things weren't better by then I'd kill myself. I turned 25 and even though things still weren't going well, I decided to keep going anyway because I realized that even though I had a lot of problems, there were still good moments that made life worth living. Now with 40 rapidly approaching I still suffer from all the same things I did when I was 17: low self esteem, depression, social anxiety and thoughts of suicide...not to mention I'm totally poor. But I keep going because there's still hope of a better tomorrow...not a perfect tomorrow...but a better tomorrow.

I think you need that hope to.

Fairy001

I understand this completely. I have just had veneers so my teeth are perfect, the increase in confidence and comfort is impossible to articulate.

Peace

theblank

I understand this completely. I have just had veneers so my teeth are perfect, the increase in confidence and comfort is impossible to articulate.

Peace

Every time I try getting veneers the dentist always tells me not to because I have nice teeth...so they steer me towards braces instead. It's frustrating.

Fairy001

My understanding is because veneers involve filing down your teeth, if there is another way to get a good smile, that is a better option. My teeth were very crooked, mainly due to gum disease. I was advised to have braces first, then veneers afterwards so less filing would have been done. I opted to go straight for veneers as I am little older and did not wish to wait 18 months, when the veneers took 5 weeks to complete.

Personally I would insist on veneers if that is what you want, it is your life, your choice, good luck.

Peace

Jimsie

I have to get braces in a couple of months.. Im really not looking forward to it since ive never seen anyone around my age (22) with braces and i think it would make me even more self conscious.

I also really dont want to deal with having them, people moan about them being painful and annoying. I dont mind having crooked teeth but i have to get braces since i have a tooth that is still inside my gums.

theblank

My understanding is because veneers involve filing down your teeth, if there is another way to get a good smile, that is a better option. My teeth were very crooked, mainly due to gum disease. I was advised to have braces first, then veneers afterwards so less filing would have been done. I opted to go straight for veneers as I am little older and did not wish to wait 18 months, when the veneers took 5 weeks to complete.

Personally I would insist on veneers if that is what you want, it is your life, your choice, good luck.

Peace

I ended up getting Invisalign braces and am almost done with the treatment. My teeth look much better now and it was definitely worth it. Due to gum recession issues and oddly shaped teeth, I will never have a "perfect" smile, but the smile I have now is good enough. I've actually been getting compliments from women telling me how much they like my teeth...which is a first for me.

The irony in all this is that for years I smiled as little as possible for fear of exposing my crowded/crooked teeth, yet lately I've noticed people with bad teeth who smile anyway and it actually makes them look better than if they didn't smile. I guess the moral of the story is regardless of the status of your teeth, smile anyway and you'll be a more attractive person.