I'm disappointing everyone around me.

PrincessKitty

I've just recently quit my university course because I hated it. I was learning to be a sound engineer but what I really want is to do is work in the music industry in Japan and NOT be a sound engineer.
I am also the only person in the family who went to university. Now I’ve quit they hate me.

I have been doing this course for a year and I never liked it. I also FAILED the course so then my teachers told me to restart the course and repeat the year again. So I was in a panic!!
A couple of weeks ago I told someone about everything what's happening. She told me to follow my heart and do what I want to do.

What I really want to do is move to Japan and work in the Music Industry there, and go to university in Japan to do so.
I've also got plan 3 plans on how to do that. I also researched on places to stay and how much money everything will cost in yen.

Now I told my family and also my mum's friends are really upset with me and very disappointed in me too.
So they don't like what I'm doing at the moment, they said I should carry on the course. But I don't want to do that.

Every time when I’m alone with them they try to persuade me to stay on the university but I’m so stressed out! I’m getting migraines and crying every night because my family telling me I should stay on the course.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :crying:

Diend

there is no way to do something beyond your limits. at least that's been a personal experience. just because a parapalegic can compete in a bodybuilding contest doesn't mean an able-bodied individual can graduate college. learn to accept mediocrity and the struggle will be over.

disappointing

I've just recently quit my university course because I hated it. I was learning to be a sound engineer but what I really want is to do is work in the music industry in Japan and NOT be a sound engineer.
I am also the only person in the family who went to university. Now I’ve quit they hate me.

I have been doing this course for a year and I never liked it. I also FAILED the course so then my teachers told me to restart the course and repeat the year again. So I was in a panic!!
A couple of weeks ago I told someone about everything what's happening. She told me to follow my heart and do what I want to do.

What I really want to do is move to Japan and work in the Music Industry there, and go to university in Japan to do so.
I've also got plan 3 plans on how to do that. I also researched on places to stay and how much money everything will cost in yen.

Now I told my family and also my mum's friends are really upset with me and very disappointed in me too.
So they don't like what I'm doing at the moment, they said I should carry on the course. But I don't want to do that.

Every time when I’m alone with them they try to persuade me to stay on the university but I’m so stressed out! I’m getting migraines and crying every night because my family telling me I should stay on the course.

So sorry your family isn't approving of your decisions. I would say to follow your own gut and listen to yourself. If you actually want to go to Japan and are completely into it, please please don't miss the opportunity. Even if it doesn't work out for the best, you will have other options to pursue later on. It sounds like you did not have your heart into your university course, so why repeat it again if you're not even all that interested in it? I hope you can figure this out for yourself, good luck :).

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
^I agree with Psyche. Also, of course I don't know your family, but I would be very surprised if they "hated you" for this, so please stop telling yourself that. They might be disappointed, but they are probably most of all worried about your future. Moving to Japan to study is a big step and probably very expensive. It sounds like an awesome idea to me though, but only if you commit to it and promise yourself to never give up EVER until they kick you out of the country, because this is very unlikely that it's going to be easier than the course you just dropped.

It might be easier to keep a healthy relationship with your parents if you don't ask them any money for this adventure. This way, you don't owe them anything.

Odo

Banned
Being an international student is expensive, and without a scholarship, studying in Japan will probably cost you at least $20k/year. You could save a lot of money by studying at home, and your parents probably know this. I lived there for almost 2 years a while ago and it wasn't always easy to save money. If you're just studying and not working, you might find it hard to get by.

You can always go to Japan after your studies-- I got in through EFL when it was big. The hype has died down recently but there are still opportunities-- you do need a degree to get a visa for that, however.

If you have $20k saved up and want to study there by all means go for it, but I can think of quite a few other uses for that kind of money that will yield better overall results.

hippiechild

If I were you I would take a year off from university and work a regular job. This will allow you to test your work ethic, rebuild your sense of accomplishment and most importantly, will give you a more pragmatic perspective on the world and how you fit into it. All the while, I would research this program that interests you, talk with people in the music industry about it and work to develop a passable use of the Japanese language.

When the time comes for you to apply, you will be in a much better position to make the right choice. As the situation currently stands, I would worry that I would make an irrational, reactionary decision (most likely to avoid some source of shame or discomfort), rather than a clear-headed decision that will take me towards my goals.

MotherWolff

Banned

Well, its not like you're a child. Why the heck should you give a darn what your family says? If they don't want to support you in what you want to do then forget them and move on with your life.

fate12321

I agree with the other members that says you should follow your dreams. You said that you already had more than 1 plan to accomplish you goals, so why don't you give it a try and see what happens. I also agree with MotherWolff's opinion. Since you were in a university, I assume that you're not a child anymore. You're old enough to make your own decisions. Whatever your family says is their opinion, but remember, you still have the final word.