If you cannot leave your house, how is everyone supporting themselves??

I have the hardest time going outside. But I found a night job so it minimize the amount of people I meet. Its still very hard though. Every couple year I end up leaving on sick leave because it get to be too much after a while. I would love to find a online job.

bsammy

hmm you guys honestly think an online job would help your social phobia though?i think it would make many of you worse tbh..i would think working with a therapist and taking the right medication ALONG with working at a job where there is some social interaction would be the healthiest way to live..i know earlier in my life i took basically a year off work and became a complete recluse, i noticed my mental health declined big time and it took me a long time to get out of that rut..avoidance and social phobia just seem to get worse if you dont constantly battle it..

vitalis

hmm you guys honestly think an online job would help your social phobia though?i think it would make many of you worse tbh..i would think working with a therapist and taking the right medication ALONG with working at a job where there is some social interaction would be the healthiest way to live..i know earlier in my life i took basically a year off work and became a complete recluse, i noticed my mental health declined big time and it took me a long time to get out of that rut..avoidance and social phobia just seem to get worse if you dont constantly battle it..

Yes, same here. The times when I'm unemployed is when I suffer the most about SAD and have some setbacks in my progress. Avoiding and postponing the danger situations is certainly not the way to cure anything; it makes you feel better at that moment, but the problem persists or even aggravates.

onehandclapping

you can get by, just about on benefits. you can even order food online and have it delivered so you would never have to leave your house... it's probably not very helpful if you are looking for a cure for social anxiety though.

working from home doesn't really work out unless you have a specific type of thing you can offer others, like if you have your own business. but that presents a lot of social interaction as you will be the face of the company and as such have to deal with customers or other people you do business with directly. you also need to have a sort of personality that is very self reliant, enterprising, entrepreneur and skilled in organisation or hire someone to work that part of the business,which will mean some degree of interactions. promotion of what you offer might be necessary too ,which also requires social work. sure, you can be a one man business and never speak to a person at all or keep it to a very bare minimum, or at a pace which is more comfortable for you in light of your mental health problems, but I think it would severely impact your work and have detrimental consequences.

I don't really think there are jobs for the average person working as part of an existing business from home. most are skilled or specialized and require training. that's fine if its something you are really interested in, but for a lot of people they don't want to train to do something don't have much interest in but simply go for because it works around their limitations. a lot of people want to use what skills they have to their advantage, its a bit of a depressing scenario if you are simply lumping for a career job direction because you are hampered down by your mental health restrictions.

bsammy

yeah im curious as to those living in the United States and are on disability, are you able to live on your own?i just found out the amount people get per month and its not enough to live on if you are on your own..at least i dont see how it could be done...

milo001

Parents support. Haven't worked for 6 years so don't think I can work anymore. I have live the hermit life for many years.

MotherWolff

Banned
I was just curious...those of us who may be severe enough that we cannot even hold a job outside the house...how does everyone financially get by? I know quite a few write they can get to work and that's it and back home again, but I know many cannot hold a job. I am one of them.
What does everyone do to get by when they cannot hold an outside job?

I sorta feel like I am in that same boat.:eek:mg:

I think SSI might help. Although its not good to just depend on that alone....

LazyHermitCrab

I was lucky (or so I thought) found a project management job that is full time from home. I do have to leave once a month for a lunch meeting with my boss. It takes me days/weeks to prepare for those couple hours ugh.

Your job sounds like a dream to me :p

KooKies

I was on medical. It's what they called it, it was probably a form of "disability" & I had help from parent's off & on. The place I had been living at at the time, was $500/month & my city started booming, & one year it jumped up about $250!!! Eventually my rent for this tiny little place became $900 & my disability was around maybe $1000... so yea.

By the time I was capable of work, but not quite sure about it, I found a night cash paid job. Which helped immensely. That was my first job back into working society after 6 years. I kept the disability going for fear of a relapse.

Sacrament

I work. Forced myself too.
Love being independent.

This pretty much sums it up. The more you dig your own hole, the deeper you'll be in it. You need to take it one day at a time and force yourself to do something that scares you every single day, even if it's something small. Say hi to the cashier at the store, ask someone for the time, sit at a café and read a book, etc.

I live with my parents and get DLA/ESA benefits. (I'm in the UK.) So many times the Tory government has tried to get me off benefits and I've had home assessments with some cold, unfriendly interviewers. I failed the assessments by one or two points and my family doctor stepped in and wrote them a letter. They don't give up, they'll try me again at some point.

I'd love to work from home, but I have no skills. Working from home is the dream.

RegalSin

It is called the internet. There are tons of things you can do that requires only one interview for you to to work from home.. Even college education course, however you need to take home seriously I will admit I tried working from home It is hard because nobody respects the idea and my only alternative is going outside.

You have to say "I am a self-starter who is a proffessional at what they do?"