I thought my anxiety was gone!

So I've been working hard for the past few years at getting over my SA. I thought I was doing so well! I haven't felt anxiety brought on by social situations for like half a year. I'm even starting to make friends at University. I even landed myself a beautiful girlfriend!

I honestly thought my anxiety was a thing of the past. Until today. I went with my brother, my girlfriend and two of her friends to see the new Harry Potter movie. I've been feeling angry all day for some reason but I decided to go anyway.

Well we got there and I don't know what happened, I don't know what snapped, but while sitting waiting for the movie to start I had the biggest anxiety attack of my life! I can usually hide the fact that I'm having one but this time I couldn't help but pull at my hair, bite my fingers (really hard) and I had to resist the urge to claw at my face or take my glasses off and throw them or cry. I quietly mumbled "I'll be right back" and went walking around aimlessly for like ten minute outside in my T-shirt (it's -20 today).

I felt better and went back but even now my hands are shaking a bit and I feel tense and angry. Something's wrong with me :(

/rant

Walk

I feel ya. Sometimes, anxiety just comes out of nowhere and it's difficult to deal with because you just don't know why it comes.
I've been losing ambition for a year now. I have been doing poorer in school, been procrastinating doing the projects I've planned on doing, even been lazy to even read a book. Ah, being stuck in a rut is a terrible thing.
Well, I think my word of advice, for what it's worth, is to simply ask yourself why you're angry- maybe there is something bothering you that you're not fully aware of yet.
All the best.

Horatio

My doctor told me that anxiety never truly goes away, you have it for life. It just comes down to how well you learn to manage it.

If you have had a good spell for a while then it can be easy to forget all about it. While this is positive, it means that when it does creep back in you are less likely to identify it early.

It sucks to have it come back as a panic attack like that but on a positive note you should be able to identify it earlier next time. Keep your guard up and good luck :)

Darryl

So I've been working hard for the past few years at getting over my SA.

I had to resist the urge to claw at my face or take my glasses off and throw them or cry. I quietly mumbled "I'll be right back" and went walking around aimlessly for like ten minute outside in my T-shirt (it's -20 today).

I felt better and went back but even now my hands are shaking a bit and I feel tense and angry. Something's wrong with me :(

/rant

Just by finding the strength to resist throwing your glasses shows your techique is still strong in you.

I'm not down playing the day you had, I just see that you got dragged down so far and found inner strength by not completely giving up and undoing all your good work.

If you stop thinking about the day, you slowly distance yourself from it.
By replying I'm continuing your thoughts on this matter, sorry, but I just wanted you to see past the day and see you still have strength- just needs a refresher course.:)

coyote

It might be worth it to try to pin down what triggered your attack.

What were the thoughts you were having?

work through it - use this constructively

it'll put you that much further ahead.

philly2bits

Going 6 months without an incident is good. You shouldn't be hard on yourself for that. SA and other mental problems like it never truly go away. They are with you for life and it's a constant battle. The best that can be hoped for in most cases is to control them to the point where they have little negative impact on your life.

JamesSmith

Anxiety doesn't just totally disappear for any1 who has a genetic anxiety disorder. All we can do is try to minimize it as much as possible.