I skipped class today

Quiet Angel

Our group was going to present today & it was too overwhelming for me. I nearly had a panic attack at home. My mom & I argued about e-mailing my professor about my problem, but I declined and said, "They can't know because it'd be too embaressing." Maybe that was a bit immature, but I'm fearful if they'd treat me any differently. Have you guys ever skipped class because of an intense situation or just because your anxiety level was at the very top?

LadyWench

Oh, gosh. I can relate to this so much. I've had panic disorder pretty much my whole life. In elementary school, I was "sick" every Monday morning and didn't go to school. I had two days away from school and just didn't want to go back. I wasn't ready. I'd have anxiety because of it.

It got worse once I got to junior high school. I would have panic attacks every morning before school. I never skipped class, I was too scared because I didn't want to get in trouble. Ha. But I either wouldn't go to school at all, or I'd come home during the day because of my high level of anxiety. I just couldn't handle it and I had to go home.

I failed the 8th grade due to all of my absences. I went back for my second (lame) year of 8th grade. I stopped going to school altogether after only being there again for two months or so. I guess you could say that I dropped out BECAUSE of my panic.

Pleasant to hear, I know. I hope that you can get better, though.

Noca

Banned
That's why college's have disability departments. You go there and explain your situation and illnesses and then they make accommodations for you so you dont have to do presentations for example. That's the correct way to handle this situation, not showing up is the incorrect way of handling it.

Darker Than Black

no not really, I get nervous too, my hands and armpits sweat and I get kinda faint, but I force myself to do it, most times the 1st one to do it and get it over with

Kinetik

Maybe you can make up the missed presentation further along the semester, or else ask about extra credit assignments that you can do by yourself. Ultimately, I don't think this will make or break you as far as passing the class, provided you do try to redeem yourself and do your best from this point on. It would be a good idea to talk about this problem with the school though, either with the professor in question, or else the health department.

And yes, I used to miss a lot of classes (and a couple of presentations) at university. In fact, I think almost all of my final class grades were lowered by one whole letter due to my countless absences. I would get panicky simply walking in the door - it was as if I couldn't handle that all-eyes-on-me feeling. Often I'd show up to class late because I'd be in the bathroom mentally psyching myself up before going in, which of course makes the whole thing worse, since walking in late more or less guarantees that you're going to be a spectacle.

I can remember one semester when my anxiety really came to a head. I'd been attending classes all throughout it pretty regularly, but on finals/exam day it all got too much for me to handle so I didn't show up at all, which caused me to fail every one of them by default. Just another example of wasted time and ridiculous self-sabotage attributed to SA. Infuriating, when you think about it.

Last edited:

Pliny

Oh man.... I've never skipped any of my classes in college but in high school? ALL. THE. TIME. And it wasn't even because of anxiety or anything but looking back on it, I'm starting to think it helped contribute to it. I just really despised the people there. Students and staff. To think they want a reunion like every other month....

scarletlee

I skipped classes all the time back in high school. Towards the end I hardly went at all, I just couldn’t cope with the anxiety I felt in the classroom. I remember the first presentation I avoided when I was about fourteen and it just got worse and worse from there. I ended up leaving school just before my sixteenth birthday. Actually this is the part of my life that SA affects the most. I haven’t been able to study or be in a classroom situation ever since and I’m now 30!
I sometimes think back to that first of many presentations that I avoided and wonder if I had just faced up to it and pushed myself to go through with it, maybe I would have done alright, maybe everything would be different and I would have been able to go to college or uni or even jus finish high school! Once I started to skip classes and found ways to escape school it just got out of control until I didn’t go at all. I remember my mum used to say to me that one day you’ll look back and say “school days were the best days of your life” HA! Don’t think that will ever come out of my mouth :)

danstelter

I have never skipped anything that is fairly important like that, but I have skipped or avoided doing things because of my anxiety before. What I learned is that sometimes my anxiety is too high and some situations are just too much for me to handle some days, and it is okay to kind of retreat for a time. Everyone needs a break after all. But, I kept going out and taking on things and getting on in life, and eventually things that were incredibly anxiety-provoking like a presentation were only mildly or moderately anxiety-provoking.

As a side note, telling your professor can be a good or bad thing. Some professors are really not kind or understanding and they will react with confusion and disbelief. They will not be able to help you and will probably just avoid you for the duration of the class. Others are more open and are willing to work with those who are very anxious. I guess you have to use your judgment and judge the personality of your professor. If you think the professor is an open-minded person, go for it. If not, you'll have to hold back because if things backfire, life can become quite miserable. Good luck and be sure to ask questions if you would like any assistance!

i havnt did in school..but now in coll i am trying hard to prevent me from doing this..every morning i will take a decision not to bunk any classes and attend evrything even it embarasses me to the core..

but usually cant keep up the promise.....if there is an activity going to be held in class, i will run away and lose my attendence...
now i will have to face my attendence shortage problem....
I cant tell this anyone,as they wont understand this problem,not even teachers,parents and class mates..
they will simply laugh at me or get angry.....they cant understand the condition as they dont experience this feeling......there is no one to share dis.....

I cant go ahead like this....soon i will have to finish my studies in good marks and look for a job and all those stuff....
in this condition i cant even think of anything.....

suicidal thoughts are constantly haunting me...

danstelter

i havnt did in school..but now in coll i am trying hard to prevent me from doing this..every morning i will take a decision not to bunk any classes and attend evrything even it embarasses me to the core..

but usually cant keep up the promise.....if there is an activity going to be held in class, i will run away and lose my attendence...
now i will have to face my attendence shortage problem....
I cant tell this anyone,as they wont understand this problem,not even teachers,parents and class mates..
they will simply laugh at me or get angry.....they cant understand the condition as they dont experience this feeling......there is no one to share dis.....

I cant go ahead like this....soon i will have to finish my studies in good marks and look for a job and all those stuff....
in this condition i cant even think of anything.....

suicidal thoughts are constantly haunting me...

Seek counseling immediately. This is an emergency. Your school should have a counseling center that is free to visit. If not, call your local suicide hotline. Counselors understand what is going on and can get you the help that you need. Even if others don't understand, someone else out there does. Please seek help. You are worth it and things will get better if you choose to find help in life.