I just feel too different to other people

tooshytosay

The more I live, the more I feel that the reason I cannot socialize well isn't really because of social "anxiety", as such - but because I just feel so different to other people.

For example, the things that interest other people - such as popular culture, (superficial) 'relationships' and other small details ('tidbits') of everyday life - don't really interest me; yet of course, such things make up 99% of social conversations you hear, and form the basis of 'socializing'.

I donno, I just feel too different, I feel like an alien dumped amidst humans. I am an extremely quiet, untalkative person - perhaps it's because I simply cannot relate to the everyday lives of other people, and what they would usually 'think' in a given situation; hence I just have nothing to say, rather than being afraid to say something.

lithium

Yeah, I feel you. It's hard to relate to people and socialize when you really have no interest in what they are saying.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I feel like most people and I are from completely different worlds. I don't belong anywhere but my own reality... if it makes any sense.

hidingfromtheworld

Yes,I feel exactly as you do..i like to stay home [alone] read books ,use computer ,and i have no interest whatsoever in talking incessantly about sports,weather,the kids,current news hype,,,and Johnny got laid off ,and all of that. i too,feel like im on the wrong planet because these redundant things that people discuss['socializing] are just not interesting. chewing the chewed..why waste time? i think if you read some books printed by the Bhaktivedanta book trust [BBT] you would see that your thinking is pretty much right on. you can search 'bbt.com' or 'books by a.c.bhaktivedanta swami' and this explains your situation countless times..pretty amazing. these books hace saved my life.

Noca

Banned
People who feel that they really don't fit in with the world around them sometime have a degree of autism.

Honda

I felt alienated several times in my life... I used to think that i belong to another world but who are we kidding were just hiding form and denying the real world we never knew or experienced..

Walk

People who feel that they really don't fit in with the world around them sometime have a degree of autism.

Really? That's is interesting.

I feel like 99% of people are not interested in the subjects I like. Probably it's just that I don't talk to enough people to meet the 1% though.

Can I ask the sources of your statement?

Shift

I feel that way too...

Especially with pop culture and music type of things. I don't care who actors are or what's going on in their lives. My family is really into that and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. And then with music, I can't stand the radio. I like the music I listen to and I don't know very many bands outside of that so I feel sort of left out when others are talking about music. And I don't gossip either, which seems to be a really interesting thing for other people, but I don't care.

Lonelykitsune

Yep,i can completly relate.Seems if you dont like twilight or x-factor here your on your own.i dont care about celebrity relationships and the livs of actors or anything like that.my music tastes are totally differnt to every person i meet,except for maybe the fact some people like florence and the machine.

Also i am the same3 as Shift in that gossip doesent intrest me.Guess i'll just stay in my own little world then.

I feel this way also. I'd like to have relationships with more people, but I can't find anyone near me that shares similar interests.

recluse

There's nothing wrong with being different to other people...In fact it's cool! Imagine how boring the world would be if every person was the same!

Anubis

I don't think your problem is that people are different. Else, you wouldn't even find company with us since we're certainly different from you in many ways (that's the nature of humanity)

I think when people say they feel different, they mean they can't "connect" to others. It's an interface problem that arises from lack of trust, intimacy, and security rather being completely incompatible with someone. Because I'm sure if we had nothing to lose, we'd get into all sorts of random discussions. For example, my sister is into all kinds of retarded **** that I would never touch. I'm into technology, sports, and video games. And she's fascinated by the fashion industry. We have very little in common, but I can still manage to hold an engaging conversation with her involving both topics because there's that level of security between us. It's not because I'm really interested in the fashion industry, but I somehow become interested in it by virtue of knowing my sister, if that makes sense.

(For a nerdy analogy, it's like MACs and PCs. Due to recent advances in technology, both can now network with each other and exchange files, but both are still significantly different platforms.)

It's a problem that I still have. But hopefully I can improve it in the next few months.

Last edited:

SpLynx

I feel the same way... How am I supposed to get friends if I cant even relate to other peoples thoughts... :( I also feel different from the majority of people.

I feel you.

Most of everyday conversation is what some people would call trivial.

However, the majority of all communication is nonverbal, meaning body language, tone, volume of voice, expression, distance.

Verbal communication is rooted in energy. A person speaks and generates energy in their brain which then transfers to vocal cords, eventually vibrating and resonating sound, sound which represents a direct link to the mind of the message sender.

Talking's a way of connecting. The words aren't always important, it's how they're spoken and for what purpose?

If you have no desire to connect to others, why is that? Some people do suck and are on different rates of progress, so don't feel too bad. Have confidence in yourself. Remember good things and people are not always easy to find but they're worth looking for.