I have decided to go to the doctors about my SAD

Meggy0001

I think its time I at least try get this sorted. Have any of you been? can you tell me your experiences and how you started talking about it. I really need help I have no idea how to say it, or how to start :p What happens after if anything does happen. I'm working myself up about it :( I just think they will say I am fine :/ and I am not, this is ruining my life and I need this to at least be bearable for when I go to university next year.

Section_31

Tell them exactly what you just said, that your NOT fine.

In me and my W's case, we went together. If i had difficulty saying somthing she would chime in and try to fill in my blanks, as well as offer my doctor a 3rd party perspective, and vice versa. It really helped.

Dont be suprised if the first route they want to try is medication. Depending on how you feel about that, i know some people dont want to take it which is fine. In my case i have and its helped me tremendously.

After some time if your issues still dont improve they may then recommend you to physcologists, ect.

aNOTfox

Telling you doctor will be the best thing you could ever do. They won't say "your fine" (or at least shouldn't)
They will listen and help you decide the next step you should take, be it therapy etc.
When I went I brought with me a list of bullet points to remind me of what to talk about if my mind went blank. It may also be worth thinking about what questions the doctor may ask you and think how you would answer them.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
U

user deleted

If you explain the gravity of it, they'll definitely take it seriously, they have a duty of care.

Also, try not to worry too much about University, even if you aren't exactly where you want to be when you go, they offer a lot of support to people with mental health conditions.

bcsr

Write everything down on paper, and give it to the doctor to read. Print out and take one of the anxiety symptoms surveys, and bring that along as well.

If you can't talk about it, get nervous, start crying, whatever... you've got everything you want to say written down.

laure15

I wish I had done this before I went to uni. But I'm indebted now and can't afford to go to the doctors.

Dreamscape

You'll do a wise decision. I was ignoring my SAD my whole university life. always ignoring social activities etc. I'm studying abroad now, living alone makes me realize a lot of things.