I got in a car accident and it's causing major anxiety

PhantomPod

I got in a car accident last week. Some idiot rear-ended me. And dealing with this whole thing is causing me serious anxiety. You'd think a car accident would mostly just cause physical pain, but it's causing me some mental anguish now too.

I've had to call my supervisor at work, the insurance company, personal injury claims adjuster, auto body shop, chiropractor, might end up having to call a lawyer. I have major phone anxiety to begin with and this whole situation is seriously putting me over the top.

It's beyond irritating that I was driving carefully, in fact, I was completely stopped waiting for the car in front of me to turn, when some idiot who clearly wasn't paying attention rear-ended me. I was crying and basically having a panic attack the night it happened cause I'm unfamiliar with how to deal with situations like this and I don't like talking on the phone, so I was just freakin' out.

Has anyone else ever been in a car accident like this? I keep wishing that I was still a kid, so that I could have my parents handle all this for me. But I'm legally an adult so I have to handle all this grown-up crap on my own. ::(:

MikeyC

He rear-ended you? His fault entirely, no matter what else happened.

I don't know what the system is like there, but in Australia I would contact my insurance company and they would sort the whole thing for me. There would need to be a few phone calls but I think they would handle the bulk of it and it would be done.

Of course, having phone anxiety doesn't help the situation that you're in, because you have to call and receive calls and that is never a good thing. I understand that entirely because I have the same thing.

If you need to see a chiropractor, it must've been one hell of a hit! I'm sorry.

Yes, I've been in a car accident. Wasn't major, was deemed my fault, so I had to pay up. Fiddling around with insurance companies and whoever else was a major pain in my backside, so I was happy to pay up just to see the end of it. Luckily nobody was injured.

I understand how frightening all this can be, but just remember: the prang was not your fault because he rear-ended you. No matter what, he was at fault so he is going to have a tougher time than you.

Good luck with it all, PhantomPod.

Yes, years ago, it was extremely stressfull having to deal with unfamiliar situations such as getting a quote to repair the car. I even ended up having to give a statement in court about it, which had me shaking. With so many things to tackle, try to work through it all one by one without getting overwhelmed, eventually you'll get it all done

PhantomPod

Yeah, he rear-ended me, so I know that he is totally liable. I just get so nervous having to deal with the insurance.

Because yeah, my neck and back are really sore now, and the chiropractor is now recommending that I go to them 3 times a week for the first 4 weeks. So it's been even more awful having to deal with the personal injury side of it, since I've never been injured before and had to really deal with phsysical pain and discomfort. And then I'm not 100% sure how it works in terms of the personal injury portion, cause I'm reading online that the other person's insurance company will likely just try to settle for you for a small amount, so it seems to be recommended that you get an attorney to deal with the claim so they won't just settle for a small amount. Cause the other person's insurance company called me and said that their personal injury claims adjuster was looking to meet with me in terms of my personal injury side of the claim and it seems really sketchy, like I don't want to meet with them without first consulting an attorney. So, now I've been looking online for a lawyer and need to call one of them to see what my options are and everything.

Basically, it's been a really big headache (and neck and back ache) these past few days.

MikeyC

That all sounds unnecessarily complicated. Getting lawyers involved? Do you really think it was that bad?

I get the sneaking suspicion that this guy who rear-ended you is going to be a total jerk throughout this whole thing. Just a hunch I'm getting.

I really have no idea what you can do. I just hope the whole matter is resolved quick.

dottie

ugh, phantom. so sorry you must endure this but i'm glad you're alive and kicking. DON'T SETTLE! make sure your needs are met and they don't shortchange that with some lump sum. your neck and back could be ruined for the rest of your life. when the money runs out, then you have to pay for it yourself? no way. let them be the least of your concerns. they are an insurance company and that is what they are there for- to pay up when you are victimized. best of luck.

chibiXphantom

i was in a car accident a few days ago. was crying like crazy cause i didnt know what to do and was panicking. if my boyfriend werent with me i wouldnt have known what to do at all.
i didnt have to go through quite as much of you though, so i doubt i could help much.
i have a terrible fear of talking on phones, but the insurance companies and such are understanding and will help you through everything. theyre used to stuff like this and will take care of a lot of it for you if you just give them the information they need. if it helps, just take time to write it all out before hand (helps for me)