I get worst anxiety around people my own age

I've noticed for a while now that I am really intimidated around people in my same age group. If I'm out and about, I seem to have no real problem talking to older people or even kids, but 20 somethings make me feel like the rejected high school/college loser again. The worst situation is when I'm out with my parents or something and somehow we end up hanging out with cousin and her group or friends or something. I feel like the little 14 yr old retreating to her shell again. When I was a kid, i felt the same way towards kids my own age. My worst nightmare was going to a cousin or friend's b-day party with a big group of kids i'd never met. It's like I freeze up and i'm so awkward.

I mean, shouldn't a person be most at ease with those their own age?

market.garden

I know what you mean, I'm not comfortable around anyone, but I think sometimes it can be worse around people my own age. It's a case of feeling like I've underachieved compared to some people who have done tonnes of stuff by my age.

Some people just feel more comfortable around certain age groups though, and I suppose in answer to your question, until you feel "at ease" with yourself, then it'll be harder to feel at ease around others your own age.

Do you feel like this even around small groups of people or just when its larger groups?

JamieD

Oh my god! I was going to start a thread about this exact thing. I feel EXACTLY the same as you described, as if i'm inferior to everyone else who is my age. I'm glad somebody has said this.

Who are these people???

I don't really like people around my age either. I don't know if it's because I'm uncomfortable, or because I just don't generally like them for some other reason??? I mean I feel inferior to everyone, lol so don't know if that's why. Almost everyone who I know is like at least 21.

thecinderfly

i feel more comfortable around older people like 40+ anyone close to my age, i just freeze up and stand there like a statue wishing i really wasn't there right now, and if anyone tries to strike up a conversation, its hard for me to pay attention, because im wondering what i should say,should i say this no it sounds stupid, then i just end up standing there nodding w/ a stupid grin on my face

black-wings

I'm the exact same way. Around people my own age, Im able to talk intelligently around them. They normally walk away with a very good impression me. Around 20+ age groups, Im the most quiet person in the whole room. Occassionally I'll speak up, but its a huge task for me.

Ignace

Yeah, actually my sa is only there when I'm around people of my age. When my school would be full of 30/40/50's there would be no problem.:eek: I don't know how it comes. Afraid to be humiliated, since people off my age are jackasses.

Square_Eyes

I have problems with all age groups really but I suppose my anxiety is at its worse around people my own age. That being said, I get pretty anxious around little kids because they have a tendency to tell it like it is without any reserve. I was in a supermarket once and this little dude pretty much shouted across the aisle to his mum: “Mummy, why is that man's face so red?!” So yeah, that was awesome.

I'm the same way. I think it's a matter of there being more basis for comparison between myself and them, and I feel I come up short. I definitely talk to older people more easily, and to a lesser extent, kids. I'm also more comfortable around the opposite sex for the same reason. Old men ftw. ::p:

I have the same thing. I think is of being judge by people our age and being rejected. Then it will be as if we belong nowhere. I hate hanging around with 15 to 19 year olds...im 17.