I forgot how to be myself

sarah1234

So my whole life I have had issues with my friends being my friends for a short amount of time and then not wanting to be my friend anymore. Because of this I have tried to change myself and who I am for a very long time. I feel like the root of the problems with my current friends is that I am not being myself. The problem is I forget how to "be myself". I don't know how to fix this problem and I feel like it is a really big issue. Any advice on how I can figure out who I am?

Lots of advice!
Too much advice!
Too confusing!

Start with this: what do you like to do in your spare time? That can be a key in starting to finding out who you are.

fate12321

How to be yourself:What are your interest? What activities do you enjoy? How do you react in certain situations? etc..

MotherWolff

Banned
So my whole life I have had issues with my friends being my friends for a short amount of time and then not wanting to be my friend anymore. Because of this I have tried to change myself and who I am for a very long time. I feel like the root of the problems with my current friends is that I am not being myself. The problem is I forget how to "be myself". I don't know how to fix this problem and I feel like it is a really big issue. Any advice on how I can figure out who I am?

Maybe you should start a journal....That helps me see who I am.

swissa

Whenever you have the option to try something new; go for it! You might just find something you never thought you would love, and put together a piece to the puzzle of your personality :)

I agree with fate12321. It's all about being honest. You can try and think about how to "be yourself" til the cows come home, hone yourself, change yourself etc. but to be yourself is to do and say whatever you feel comfortable with. With social anxiety/phobia it can stop you from being brave enough to do these things and I guess that's when you feel like you can't be yourself. But you CAN learn to overcome this.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I personally think the issue you seem to be having, can be a byproduct of having some form of SA.
Through wanting to have friends we can tend to..try harder, to form and keep friendships.
We start to 'mirror' people we like - or want to like, say we like the things they like, say we want to do the things they do etc etc.
Over time we can forget what's really important to ourselves, our likes and dislikes..they can become a bit blurry or generalized.
At one stage I felt like a mirror image of myself - I looked like me, sounded like me, but I felt the real me had become lost.

I started thinking about what was important to me. At times I even felt a bit selfish, because I had to remember to stop 'automatically agreeing' with what people said.
I was never rude or anything, but over time I felt My own personality began to resurface.

I think maybe you could benefit from doing something similar.

So yea, ask yourself - what are the things I like?
- what are the things I care about?
- what do I want out of life?

Ask yourself these questions every now and then :)