I flinch when someone touches me

Nl54

Does anyone else have this happen to them? Normally, if I'm expecting it, I don't jump. But if it's unexpected, like say, someone walks up behind me and touches me on the shoulder or a girl rubs my head, it happens almost every time. It's so annoying because it's an involuntary reaction and it's noticeable most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rheves

"I do the same thing. I have no idea why, really, though. When I'm at work and people just brush up against my back and I flinch, they always notice. It's like, 'Hey, it's not you, it's me,' lol."

dottie

Yeah, I jump when I realize someone is in my 'special personal zone' haha, which is like a 20-ft radius.

Yes! me too. I will always jump or flinch because it's like so unexpected, and I don't like it when that happens. Also, sometimes when someone touches me for some reason I'll just automatically slap them. It's not like I want to hit them, it's just what I do automatically.

thor01

Yep, I flinch too, possibly largely due to having to flinch every second when I was at school. Either because of footballs flying around or people just being annoying and doing stuff to you

Remus

Staff member
Yeah, I've always been like this. I hate 'touchy-feely' people, and hugging just makes my skin crawl.

Danfalc

Banned
i dont like to be touched

I miss affection more than anything. I love getting hugs, and I don't know... it's nice to slap hands and shake with my few mates and stuff. I'm not keen if it's someone I don't know. It feels forced or awkward

When I'm poorly, I'm flinchy full stop though. I jump at loud noises, etc., or if someone honks their horn.

thor01

I miss affection more than anything/I love getting hugs,and i dont know.. its nice to slap hands and shake with my few mates and stuff.Im not keen if its someone i dont know.It feels forced or awkward.

When poorly im flinchy full stop tho, jump at loud noises ect or if someone honks there horn ::eek::

Yeah, the affectionate kind of touching is different for me. I wish I got it; I crave it. Just to be hugged by a girl I like or something would be good. Tensions are building up, and I feel like I'll explode if I don't get that eventually.

Nl54

Yeah, the thing is, most girls think I'm cute and want to touch and flirt with me, even though I'm fairly quiet. It seems all I have to do is stand there, and I attract their attention. If they say something about me flinching when they touch me, I become more aware of it, and it tends to happen more often. They just don't understand it. Hell, I don't even understand it. :( The thing is, I want attention sometimes, but I don't know how to correctly respond when I get it. Other times, I hate attention. It's like I go through personality swings. I wish I could be comfortable around others all the time. Maybe there isn't really anything "wrong" with us at all; it could just be how we are wired.

lettypagb

I also enjoy touching others, sometimes even too much. It can be strange because some guys take advantage of it and make me feel like a slut. However, I believe that everyone should love each other, right?

Staff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flinching is a common physiological response to a sudden or unexpected stimulus, such as a touch or a loud noise. It is a natural defense mechanism that prepares the body to react to a potential threat. However, in some cases, flinching can become excessive and interfere with daily activities and social interactions.

There are several possible reasons why someone may flinch when touched. One of the most common causes is a past traumatic experience, such as physical abuse or assault. According to a study published in the Journal of Trauma and Dissociation, individuals who have experienced physical abuse are more likely to exhibit a heightened startle response, including increased flinching behavior (Ogawa et al., 2016).

Another possible cause of flinching is anxiety or hyperarousal. When someone is experiencing high levels of anxiety or stress, their body may be in a constant state of alertness, making them more sensitive to sensory stimuli, such as touch. This can lead to an exaggerated flinching response. Additionally, individuals with conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) may be more prone to excessive flinching behavior (Kesler et al., 2011).

It is important to note that flinching behavior can also be a symptom of certain neurological conditions, such as Tourette's syndrome or sensory processing disorder. In these cases, the flinching behavior is not necessarily related to a past traumatic experience or psychological factors, but rather to underlying neurological differences.

If you find that your flinching behavior is interfering with your daily life, it may be helpful to speak with a healthcare professional or mental health provider. They can help you identify the underlying cause of your flinching and provide appropriate treatment or coping strategies.

References: Kesler, M. L., Andersen, T. E., & Smith, A. M. (2011). Potential mechanisms underlying anxiety and depression in Parkinson's disease: consequences of l-DOPA treatment. Neurosci Biobehav Rev, 35(3), 556-64.

Ogawa, J. R., Sroufe, L. A., Weinfeld, N. S., Carlson, E. A., & Egeland, B. (2016). Development and the fragmented self: Longitudinal study of dissociative symptomatology in a nonclinical sample. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 17(5), 567-584.