I don't know where to start...

Englishman

Having hyperhidrosis makes me think about commiting suicide everyday... I don't know how you guys remain so positive. Every single day I wish I was dead because of having this condition, knowing full well that I will never feel comfortable in my own skin, never be able to find someone who understands and chances are if I ever do find a long term relationship then my child will be at risk to inherit HH... None of my family have sweaty hands/feet I just wish I was never born

VainCape

I know exactly what you're talking about. Theres not a day I dont think about committing suicide, wanting to end it all. I have lost interest in everything; grades, school, friends etc. HH is a f**king curse

Peony

Have you guys not tried glyco tablets to reduce sweating and allow you to live your life!? I feel bad for you and completely understand. I suffer from generalised hh. So I sweat everywhere, but I'd never allow it to control me. Look at these people with deformities or people who have been horrifically burnt in fires or dwarfs or disfigured people. These are all things that people can see and are frightened of. So, we sweat? You'll find telling people doesn't actually freak them out that much. I know it's embarrassing, but that's as far as it goes. Try and think positive and find something to drive you in life. There is always someone worse off than you.

Amherst

I know: hyperhidrosis is really hard to deal with, and we all go through times with it when we just feel like giving up. But have you guys tried the glyco or iontophoresis yet? Ionto really does have a nearly 98 percent success rate, as long as you have the patience to stick it out. Don't give up until you have exhausted all of your treatment options yet, and just know that it can take quite a lot of fiddling with both glyco and ionto to get them to work.

Like Peony, I have full-blown generalized hyperhidrosis, which represents true hell in the hot and humid summers of the Central U.S. I live for fall and winter. My work has taken me to Germany right now, and the cool - if not cold - weather has been marvelous. I can actually feel like a semi-normal person for a change.

For some reason, I never found it helpful to compare my lot with those worse off, probably because one's own difficulties seem so overwhelming. What helps me it to ask myself how often in a day or a week (with treatment) I am actually affected by it and to figure out what limitations it has actually placed on me. You can then ask: how many of those limitations are actually physical and how many are mental. The answer, for me, is that there are limitations, particularly in the dog days of summer (about three months, unfortunately) or while performing physical work. But the limitations aren't as many as one would think. It hasn't affected my work much; my wife doesn't care if I sweat a lot, as she comes from a hot and humid country where everybody sweats a ton anyway.

To a large extent, humans can learn to control their mental reactions to things- if you work hard enough at it. The brain is enormously flexible and plastic. And how many people actually care if we are sweating? Most persons are too wrapped up in their own things to even notice.

But I empathize with you guys, having been there myself.

Amherst

teandtoast

HH ruined my life, got it when I was about 20 living life to the full and now 28 and feel like I have a constant headache worrying about situations and being miserable. It turned my life upside down.
I think about suicide all time too but I just couldn't do it to my parents.
Only relief I get is getting out of my head drunk at the weekends.

Sprawling

It sounds as if your problems go beyond HH. Maybe it's best you seek professional guidance. Suicidal thoughts is a little extreme. Yes, HH has altered my life course, made life more challenging, made it extremely difficult growing up as a child. In my day there was nobody to talk about with. Things are a little different today.

I'm not going to say things can be worse for you, yet they can be worse anyone at any time. I have severe Fibromyalgia and have chronic pain, not to mention the HH. Some things just down right suck.

Do yourself a favor and seek out some help and guidance. I'm not sure that the HH board can be of help with your suicidal thoughts, yet we can offer support relating to your HH.

like a sir

We, as a HH sufferes all understand what you are going through, it is tough and Im sure we all being there. But, this is life and we have to go forward no matter what, if you are an non believer like me you will realize that this is your only life and YOU are the determining factor of how you want to live it. Life is such a precious little thing, from the creation of the universe billions years ago, till now, from the plants that gives us oxygen so we can breath, to all of the microscopic cells that make our body. It goes forward and so must you. be positive, yes, having HH sucks so badly, theres not a single day I dont think about it, but hey at least its not life threatening right? look at the various treatment options that are available today, ionto, glyco, beta blockers, aluminum based antiperspirant, botox. You have to be active in your own treatment, no one is going to offer you help if you dont ask for it, and asking for help is not a bad thing, its a good thing.

Most importantly, accept the fact that you have HH and dont be ashamed of that, personally, this has being the most problematic thing for me, but for you to get to that ZEN state you have to be in balance with yourself. I believe some people in this forum have achieved that already and im sure they can tell you their experiences and how life is not always bad and hey, they are actually happier now.

like a sir

To Amherst

I dont know why ioto didnt work for me, perhaps is it because I created my own ionto machine? I did feel the electric current in my hands and I use it for 2 weeks with no improvement, I was just wondering If buying the actualy ionto machine will work cause I do not want to waste tons of money just to see it fail. lol

Amherst

There are so many factors that contribute to the success of iontophoresis - water composition and quality, type of machine, frequency of treatments, current levels, the level of water, etc. - and each person is going to respond differently. I can only speak to my own experience: I personally have found the pulsed current to be most effective for the hands, since I can get the current level much higher than with direct current (although I can tolerate the direct current for my feet). That really is the major advantage of some of the commercial machines - you can tolerate more current, you don't get shocked going in and out of the water, and as a result, you make it more likely that it's going to work. This, of course, presupposes that you can afford the cost of a pulsed current machine.

You might also check some of Sprawling's comments on this forum: he has made a lot of very useful suggestions.

One last thought: two weeks may not be enough to determine whether it's going to work. It took almost three weeks of treatment every day for iontophoresis to work for me. Again, each person is different.

Good luck with this!

Sprawling

Repeat of one of my ionto posts:

This pulsed machine gives ME the same results as the Fischer MD1A unit except that it's way more comfortable. My hands sweat pretty bad. Ionto cured the sweating about 95%,, sometimes 100%. During the past year my fibromyalgia has played a factor on increasing my sweating. Both machines seem to work equally cutting the sweat down to 50% to 85% depending on my body flareups.

This just proves to me how over priced IONTO machines really are. MY latest side by side testing of both machines made me a convert to pulsed current. I'm switching over to my galvanic machine full time. I've been using the Fischer unit since the summer of 2005. I starting using the pulsed unit January 2012 and have been doing varies side by side test that are in the back posts of this forum.

Ultra-G Digital Galvanic Stimulator
https://www.google.com/search?q=Ultra-G+Digital+Galvanic+Stimulator

This other machine appears to be exactly the same except it doesn't have a digital readout.

PGS-123 Pulsed Galvanic Stimulator
https://www.google.com/search?q=PGS-123+Pulsed+Galvanic+Stimulator

Last edited:

like a sir

the link you provided is erroneous, "Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

So idk which ionto machines you are refering to

OCDd

you dont want to kill yourslef man, there IS so much to live for, no matter who you are. you still have a long life ahead of you. When people say they want to kill them self, they mean: i dont want to find a way to get better. I know it can be hard, but you just have to find something in life that you look forward to, ever day, just put something in your head, whatever it may be and try to make that your motivation throughout the day, maybe its oh when i get home im going to go for a walk, or make your favorite food, or day dream, or just using your imagination is good too, ask God, pray to him and ask him for help and ask for forgiveness for your sins (this always helps me), or maybe you look forward to logging onto social phobia world to talk about your day and visit with friends :) take life one day at a time. maybe you could say, i want to go to college and become a doctor and study Hyperhidrosis and find a cure for it, you could use that as motivation. i hope this helps you, and i hope you get better, i will pray for you! :)

Bugs

Try and think positive and find something to drive you in life. There is always someone worse off than you.

I have HH too... I used to be so conscious about it, but then I realized it's not my fault. So I stopped caring about what other people think about it. If they really call them themselves good and friendly people then they should truly accept others even if they have HH. Don't worry too much about it. I overcome it by thinking this way, and you know what? I have friends who likes me even if I have it.

Bugs

There are times when I have to shake hands with other people, I warn them first that I have sweaty hands. They just smile and say its okay. :)

Things are not so bad... really.