How would you fare as a conscript?

Let's suppose that your country practices conscription and you're forced to be in the military or paramilitary. The type that have your superiors often bullying you and humiliating you. And resisting would land you in prison... after which you still needed to serve your conscription.

How do you think you'll fare? Would the experience help your SA? And if you've actually been in the military or conscripted, do you think the experience has helped your SA?

Silentknight

I actually gave the millitary (US Army) a shot it didn't work well luckily for me my drill seargent was understanding when I had explained my situation with him after he and the other DS had begun to notice how I wasn't connecting with the other privates and had alot of trouble with teamwork and distancing myself with everyone instead of trying to make a brotherhood like everyone else was which in the MOS (job) I had chosen a brotherhood is completely necessary (19 Delta Cavalry) so when I told my DS about my AvPD/SA he understood and was able to get me out before it was to late. Needless to say conscription wouldn't be good for me.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I think that what your referring to as conscription is the same as being drafted in the U.S., but I'm not sure. If so, I know I couldn't handle it because we have boot camp here where the so-called "superior" officers degrade, humiliate & yell at everyone, especially if they make even the tiniest mistake. I would cry constantly & freak out & have panic & anxiety attacks over absolutely everything. I would be the absolute worse type of person for any branch of the military & I would get kicked out of boot camp & never make it any farther. It would definitely make my SA far, far worse & I would surely be hospitalized & may very well never leave the house afterward lol.

Actually, I know I would never even make it that far because I would panic at even the thought of being drafted. Plus, I'm sure my doctor's records on me would have me excluded from even making it that far. They would take one look at my history of anxiety, etc. & know I'm not fit for the military so I would never even have to go through any of that.

I think that what your referring to as conscription is the same as being drafted in the U.S., but I'm not sure. If so, I know I couldn't handle it because we have boot camp here where the so-called "superior" officers degrade, humiliate & yell at everyone, especially if they make even the tiniest mistake. I would cry constantly & freak out & have panic & anxiety attacks over absolutely everything. I would be the absolute worse type of person for any branch of the military & I would get kicked out of boot camp & never make it any farther. It would definitely make my SA far, far worse & I would surely be hospitalized & may very well never leave the house afterward lol.

Actually, I know I would never even make it that far because I would panic at even the thought of being drafted. Plus, I'm sure my doctor's records on me would have me excluded from even making it that far. They would take one look at my history of anxiety, etc. & know I'm not fit for the military so I would never even have to go through any of that.

Hmmm... SA and such things are not recognized in my country. And drafting occurs all the time, not just in war times. I've heard of some of my fellow countrymen literally dying from abuse (though the culprits were punished by a few months imprisonment)... and I've also heard stories where the conscription helped the person really overcome things like SA.

And of course, lots of stories where it made them feel even worse. So I was wondering if it's more beneficial or more harmful to a person's psychological health.

lyricalliaisons

Hmmm... SA and such things are not recognized in my country. And drafting occurs all the time, not just in war times. I've heard of some of my fellow countrymen literally dying from abuse (though the culprits were punished by a few months imprisonment)... and I've also heard stories where the conscription helped the person really overcome things like SA.

And of course, lots of stories where it made them feel even worse. So I was wondering if it's more beneficial or more harmful to a person's psychological health.

Most people (if not all) who come back from war are in far worse state mentally then they were when they went in.

I have more than just SA, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder & probably have an autism spectrum disorder. Most mental & physical conditions will get a person disqualified from entering the military here. What is your country, btw? (You don't have to answer if that's too personal-- I was just wondering.)

Most people (if not all) who come back from war are in far worse state mentally then they were when they went in.

I have more than just SA, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder & probably have an autism spectrum disorder. Most mental & physical conditions will get a person disqualified from entering the military here. What is your country, btw? (You don't have to answer if that's too personal-- I was just wondering.)

I agree with you. But what I had in mind wasn't war, just the usual military training. I can't imagine how going to war would improve a person's mental state. Haha.. let's just say I'm asian.

lyricalliaisons

I agree with you. But what I had in mind wasn't war, just the usual military training. I can't imagine how going to war would improve a person's mental state. Haha.. let's just say I'm asian.

I know-- I knew you weren't talking about war when I wrote my first post. But I wasn't sure what the first post you quoted me in meant, which is why I wrote that about war.

Here, military training is called boot camp & that is what I know I could not make it through. A person has to get through boot camp (basic training) before they can fully get into the military.

coyote

I served six years in the U.S. Marine Corps.

In some ways, I believe the military was easier than civilian life.

In the military, they train you exactly how they want you to behave, think, feel, etc. All you have to do is go along with it. When you suit up in your uniform, you're basically putting on a costume and assuming a role in a big scripted melodrama - you just have to act the part.

In the military, your life is your job, and vice versa. You don't have to be sociable - just professional.

I did pretty good...was promoted to Sergeant, received several commendations.

The trouble was that after I got out, it took a long time to remember who I was.

Some of the bad experiences probably weren't good for my overall mental and emotional well-being either.

I served six years in the U.S. Marine Corps.

In some ways, I believe the military was easier than civilian life.

In the military, they train you exactly how they want you to behave, think, feel, etc. All you have to do is go along with it. When you suit up in your uniform, you're basically putting on a costume and assuming a role in a big scripted melodrama - you just have to act the part.

In the military, your life is your job, and vice versa. You don't have to be sociable - just professional.

I did pretty good...was promoted to Sergeant, received several commendations.

The trouble was that after I got out, it took a long time to remember who I was.

Some of the bad experiences probably weren't good for my overall mental and emotional well-being either.

Does it make you more confident overall? Help you socialize?

coyote

Does it make you more confident overall? Help you socialize?

I'm not sure it really helped at all, but not sure it hurt either.

I know that I had as much difficulty as any other time in my life being able to relate to people or making friends.

I drank a lot - off duty - in order to disinhibit myself when I was hanging out with the other guys. Not a very effective solution - it only makes it easier for you to do something you'll be even more embarrassed about later.

I was pretty much a loner, as always. Just played it off pretty good.

Ugh that would be horrible. Being a Christian would probably make it worse....

Hmmm.. maybe out in war zones, but in boot camp I'm not sure how it can affect you one way or another. Some of my friends are devout Christians... Yeah. Come to think of it, some of them were not comfortable with the way some of the training is conducted (screaming drill sergeants and vulgarities and all that).

Emily_G

Hmmm.. maybe out in war zones, but in boot camp I'm not sure how it can affect you one way or another. Some of my friends are devout Christians... Yeah. Come to think of it, some of them were not comfortable with the way some of the training is conducted (screaming drill sergeants and vulgarities and all that).

All the Christians I know who have served say they get a lot of crap for their faith. Someone who is serving right now, he's pretty high up I think too....asks us to pray for his spiritual war, as in opposition from his own companions because he's a Christian.

Last edited:

Fighter86

I think I would kill myself in camp or something, it would be too much stress for me to handle. My brother was conscripted, its compulsory where I live, and he had a really tough time inside, lots of social things you have to deal with, like people picking on you, that kind of thing on top of tough training. I think it took alot out of him.

mummylala

I think I would kill myself in camp or something

I wouldnt last long, id end up killing someone else, i am very very bad tempered and having someone in my face shouting orders or insults (and lets face it, we know it happens ) would make me snap