How to talk to girls if you're too shy?

Bronson99

You wait until they talk to you... just kidding. I'd say just go and say, "Hi", or just ask random questions like, "What phone is that?", or something like that.

Hmm, I'd just be curious if you've gotten anywhere with this approach, though?

OceanMist

Just don't forget to take off your watch, hide the phone and make sure it doesn't ring, or the jig is up :)

Hell, you could have your phone out and have the time on it and point it in her face as you ask her, and you'll still get a lot out of that interaction.

The point of the exercise is just to say something to a woman.

Asking for the time is a harmless thing that usually won't end in a rejection (the rejection being she doesn't give you the time, meaning she's being a mean person).

It's a good way to teach guys that most women won't bite your head off if you talk to them, even if they are a complete stranger.

It's an excellent warm-up too, because after asking for the time from one girl, it becomes easier to talk to the next girl and go further by trying to have a conversation and eventually trying to get her phone number.

Last edited:

OceanMist

OceanMist, I think I might just try your advice here.

You seem like a wise owl to me. :thumbup:

Yeah, just try it out. It really doesn't matter what you say, just as long as you get something out of your mouth you are already leaps and bounds above where you were before that moment.

I've found approaching women to be very character-building.

I could go on about it but I may save that for an "approaching women" thread.

Foxie913

I have never been on a date.
I'm 41 going on 42 and never been on a date either because I'm too shy to talk to the guys that show interest and talk to me. I've let chances at relationships fall through my hands because of my damn shyness. I really hate myself for it. Looks like I'm going to be single until death. I hate it.

bsammy

...you can try waiting for them to talk to you?

Oddly enough it's actually happened to me twice recently, in public. But when you're shy/anxious it really is so rare, that you cannot depend on this.

In one case, it was just a basic question; in the other, there was a conversation and some genuine evidence that she liked something about me. But I haven't seen her since. True rarities, though.

i wouldnt recommend waiting on these rare opportunities, for a woman to approach and talk to you if you are shy...life is simply too short and the odds of something coming from these random encounters is slim to none..

i dont think there is any miracle advice for shy guys besides just battling through your inhibitions and talking to women...i do not recommend talking to children or babies as that will not help at all lol..you need to be talking to women around your age group for you to progress in this area..

I'm 41 going on 42 and never been on a date either because I'm too shy to talk to the guys that show interest and talk to me. I've let chances at relationships fall through my hands because of my damn shyness. I really hate myself for it. Looks like I'm going to be single until death. I hate it.

A lady's shyness is a very attractive quality.

All you must do is know you have control.

Predacon

Talk to girls you aren't remotely attracted to. Talk to really old women, tiny toddler girls, and everything in between. The more you talk to all of these creatures, the more you will understand about women. The more you understand about women, the easier talking to any of them becomes--including the ones you want to date.

So true, I find it so much easier to talk to ones I would never be interested in, as there is no pressure.

RegalSin

The trick is not to care anymore. If you have no love for anybody at all. Then you should have no problem. If you still do have feelings for somebody seek them out and get over it. There is fruit sometimes it is sour and sometimes it is sweet. Eventually you find one that suits you. Imagine if all those opposites never talked with you.

dany

This is a quite common problem around the world. I don't think there is a place on Earth were all men are not afraid to talk to women. This is normal and I think there are fewer men that have no problem talking to women than those that are shy or have some problem doing that. The difference between us is that some men manage to overcome the fear and others don't but the fear is present in every one of us (with some exceptions of course).

Now, your first step is to overcome the fear by doing exactly the things that you are trying so hard to avoid, go and talk to girls but not in a way that you want to have a relationship with them, but just simple friendly talk.

worrywort

I talk to them telepathicly. None of them have answered yet though. :(

LOL! I was thinking that same thing the other day. I was feeling upset because nobody understands me, and then I remembered that I've never actually told anybody anything about me, so that's probably why!

Gieky

I am 25 and I have never been on a date. I really want to meet a girl but I get too scared to talk to them and I always say I will talk to one but I get too scared. I know I need to face my fear but I feel too scared.

Get a dog and bring it to a dog park!

I mean, obviously don't get a dog JUST to get girls, but they do wonders for putting people at ease and starting up conversations.

GhastlyCC

Think of them as just people(Because that's what they are)and not potential mates that you have to impress.
It's a conversation not a performance.

Talk to girls you aren't remotely attracted to. Talk to really old women, tiny toddler girls, and everything in between. The more you talk to all of these creatures, the more you will understand about women. The more you understand about women, the easier talking to any of them becomes--including the ones you want to date.
This too...

liquid Dutch courage, and some random luck.
...and this :bigsmile:

superman

This is a great thread! All my life I had a super hard time with this. Somehow I ended up married because my wife was the aggressor lol

Sacrament

See what makes you feel shy and work on your confidence. Join a gym, start running and lifting weights, start dressing better and taking care of yourself physically, mentally and emotionally. After that, as suggested, start off with the little things that don't require rejection. Approach a pretty girl in the store or at the bus stop and ask for the time (or if the bus goes to so and so, or, if you're at the store, smile at the pretty girl at the register while looking her in the eye and politely say thank you when she gives you the change).

After that, you can take it up a notch, and attempt longer interactions, or adding people on Facebook and whatnot in order to chat (confidently and without expectations other than to just get it done).