How to go to cinema?

JoeyAndres

I decided to attend a social convention called watching a movie. Not going to date or anything (never been to one), I just want to watch a movie. I've never been to a cinema before. I just don't know what to do when I do I arrive in a cinema. I would need a step by step instructions. That's all, have a good day. And if you live in Edmonton, where's a good theatre? That's all, have a good day.

Last edited:

IntheLabyrinth

I don't think we have enough info to give advice. Is there some kind of meet up in the lobby with a group of people? If so, then that would make it a much different experience than a normal movie going experience. Generally speaking, just going to the movies involves purchasing your ticket, going into the screening room, sitting down, and then watching the movie. For me, it is one of the least anxiety provoking places I can go because there isn't really any social interaction.

coyote

First, be sure to bring plenty of cash - you'll need at least $8.00 (US) unless you're attending a "matinee" showing (which means the movie starts before 4pm). Matinees are usually like half price.

If you're planning on having any refreshments during the show - drinks, popcorn, candy, whatever - you'll need to bring cash for that, too. They frown on you bringing your own stuff. Everything at the movie theatre is way more expensive than it is anywhere else. So you need like $10.00 for a coke and popcorn.

So, when you get there, go up and stand in line at the ticket booth to buy your ticket. They'll want to know which movie you want to see. You tell them which movie and how many tickets you want - adult, children, or senior citizen (different price for each). they'll tell you how much to pay, you give them the money, then they'll give you a ticket.

Then you go stand in line at the snack counter to get your refreshments. A large drink is like a gallon - a large popcorn is like a 5 gallon bucket. No one can possibly finish all that in 2 hrs, so it all gets dumped out anyway. So don't be afraid to order a smaller size even though you feel pressured to get the big size - it's just crazy. They'll also encourage you to let them pour like a gallon of melted processed butter-like liquid all over your popcorn - i tend to skip that, because it's really messy.

This whole process may take up to 30 minutes, depending on how long the lines are. So be sure you get to the theater early enough to get through the lines.

Once you're all set (have you gone to the bathroom? - do that now) head toward the theatre where your movie is showing. There's usually like a long hallway, and each theater has a big sign over it that says which film is showing in that particular room.

Go inside and find a seat - again, this is why you want to get there early. You want to get inside and find a seat while the lights are still on. Once the movie starts, they turn the lights off, and you can't see very well.

Don't sit too close to the screen - you'll spend the whole time looking straight up, and your neck will hurt. Pick whatever seat looks comfortable to you. Some people like to sit next to the aisle, some people like to sit right in the middle. The screen is designed to be seen from all angles, so it doesn't really matter. Hopefully some tall guy won't sit right in front of you and block your view. Most people will find it awkward if you sit right next to them if there is room to sit further down - leave a seat between you and someone you don't know. It's ok to sit right next to someone you came with - even if you are both men.

When the movie starts, be quiet. No one likes to hear people talking in the movie. Some idiots seem to think that their voice can only be heard by the person right next to them that they're talking to, but of course it can be heard by everyone in the theatre. I guess they're too used to wathcing movies in their living room and have forgotten their manners. It's ok to tell them politely to shut the hell up, or even throw stuff at them if they don't - that's where the popcorn comes in handy.

Don't put your feet up on the seat in front of you. That's considered rude. If you're there with a date and you want to grope each other, it's probably best if you sit way in the back so that no one has to watch you and get distracted. If you're planning on engaging in any sexual activity, be sure to bring some tissues or wet-wipes or something.

When the movie is over, it is ok to applaud. Although no one who actually worked on the film can hear you, so what's the point? People do it anyway, so feel free to express yourself. It's also acceptable to cry, even if you are a man. Another good reason to bring some tissues. That and the popcorn butter.

As you exit the theater, be sure to take all your trash with you - empty cups, candy wrappers, popcorn buckets, used tissues, etc. A lot of people just leave the stuff there for someone else to clean up. i think that's kind of rude, too. there are plenty of waste bins right by the door to throw the stuff in.

You may have to use the bathroom again - that gallon of diet pepsi needs somewhere to go. Be prepared to stand in line again - everyone else has to dispose of their pepsi as well. Be sure to wash your hands when you're done.

That's about it. Have fun, and try not to think too much about it!

Last edited:

IntheLabyrinth

First, be sure to bring plenty of cash - you'll need at least $8.00 (US) unless you're attending a "matinee" showing (which means the movie starts before 4pm). Matinees are usually like half price. If you're planning on having any refreshments during the show - drinks, popcorn, candy, whatever - you'll need to bring cash for that, too. They frown on you bringing your own stuff. Everything at the movie theatre is way more expensive than it is anywhere else. So you need like $10.00 for a coke and popcorn. So, when you get there, go up and stand in line at the ticket booth to buy your ticket. They'll want to know which movie you want to see. You tell them which movie and how many tickets you want - adult, children, or senior citizen (different price for each). they'll tell you how much to pay, you give them the money, then they'll give you a ticket. Then you go stand in line at the snack counter to get your refreshments. A large drink is like a gallon - a large popcorn is like a 5 gallon bucket. No one can possibly finish all that in 2 hrs, so it all gets dumped out anyway. So don't be afraid to order a smaller size even though you feel pressured to get the big size - it's just crazy. They'll also encourage you to let them pour like a gallon of melted processed butter-like liquid all over your popcorn - i tend to skip that, because it's really messy. This whole process may take up to 30 minutes, depending on how long the lines are. So be sure you get to the theater early enough to get through the lines. Once you're all set (have you gone to the bathroom? - do that now) head toward the theatre where your movie is showing. There's usually like a long hallway, and each theater has a big sign over it that says which film is showing in that particular room. Go inside and find a seat - again, this is why you want to get there early. You want to get inside and find a seat while the lights are still on. Once the movie starts, they turn the lights off, and you can't see very well. Don't sit too close to the screen - you'll spend the whole time looking straight up, and your neck will hurt. Pick whatever seat looks comfortable to you. Some people like to sit next to the aisle, some people like to sit right in the middle. The screen is designed to be seen from all angles, so it doesn't really matter. Hopefully some tall guy won't sit right in front of you and block your view. Most people will find it awkward if you sit right next to them if there is room to sit further down - leave a seat between you and someone you don't know. It's ok to sit right next to someone you came with - even if you are both men. When the movie starts, be quiet. No one likes to hear people talking in the movie. Some idiots seem to think that their voice can only be heard by the person right next to them that they're talking to, but of course it can be heard by everyone in the theatre. I guess they're too used to wathcing movies in their living room and have forgotten their manners. It's ok to tell them politely to shut the hell up, or even throw stuff at them if they don't - that's where the popcorn comes in handy. Don't put your feet up on the seat in front of you. That's considered rude. If you're there with a date and you want to grope each other, it's probably best if you sit way in the back so that no one has to watch you and get distracted. If you're planning on engaging in any sexual activity, be sure to bring some tissues or wet-wipes or something. When the movie is over, it is ok to applaud. Although no one who actually worked on the film can hear you, so what's the point? People do it anyway, so feel free to express yourself. It's also acceptable to cry, even if you are a man. Another good reason to bring some tissues. That and the popcorn butter. As you exit the theater, be sure to take all your trash with you - empty cups, candy wrappers, popcorn buckets, used tissues, etc. A lot of people just leave the stuff there for someone else to clean up. i think that's kind of rude, too. there are plenty of waste bins right by the door to throw the stuff in. You may have to use the bathroom again - that gallon of diet pepsi needs somewhere to go. Be prepared to stand in line again - everyone else has to dispose of their pepsi as well. Be sure to wash your hands when you're done. That's about it. Have fun, and try not to think too much about it!

That was an exceptional description of how to go about going to the theatres for the first time. It put my brief description to shame.

coyote

That was an exceptional description of how to go about going to the theatres for the first time. It put my brief description to shame.

there's a couple of things i forgot to mention...

don't worry too much about that sticky stuff on the floor - mostly likely it's just spilled soft drinks... hopefully

and aside from talking during the movie, you also want to remember that farting and belching are inappropriate as well - you're not in your living room; you're in public. so keep your bodily noises, gasses, and fluids to yourself

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Whether or not I'm going alone, I prefer to go in the early afternoon on a weekday so as to avoid crowds. Children of various ages tend to be especially noisy, and I prefer to go when most of them are in school. I also prefer to go to a movie that's been out a few weeks, which also lessens the crowding.

Klonoa

Whether or not I'm going alone, I prefer to go in the early afternoon on a weekday so as to avoid crowds. Children of various ages tend to be especially noisy, and I prefer to go when most of them are in school. I also prefer to go to a movie that's been out a few weeks, which also lessens the crowding.

And teenagers. They're REALLY annoying...

But regardless, I love the movies! Too bad many of them are just plain bad (Twilight, I'm looking at you >_>).

I kinda wish they re-showed old movies like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Escape From New York, Missing In Action... I'd love to see them in the big screen and not my TV.

emre43

In all honesty I would say just relax and be yourself. Don't worry about anything else just enjoy the movie. You are more likely to increase your anxiety by thinking about it and asking for help before hand. I know it sounds really, really tough but believe me just do it without any preparation, don't even think about it, just do it when the time comes. :)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I kinda wish they re-showed old movies like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Escape From New York, Missing In Action... I'd love to see them in the big screen and not my TV.

There are places like Alamo Drafthouse that show classic movies like that all the time. They also have quote-a-long movie nights where the audience is encouraged to say their favorite lines together; anime nights; and so on.

Plus they serve you dinner while you're watching, including wine and beer if you want it (strict quiet is observed except for designated talking nights).

Austin : Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Klonoa

There are places like Alamo Drafthouse that show classic movies like that all the time. They also have quote-a-long movie nights where the audience is encouraged to say their favorite lines together; anime nights; and so on.

Plus they serve you dinner while you're watching, including wine and beer if you want it (strict quiet is observed except for designated talking nights).

HEY!! I didn't knew that existed! I wanna go! I wanna go! Wanna wanna!!

Predacon

Going to the movies is usally pretty stressfree, though if you go at night or weekends there tend to be a lot more people. If there's something I want to see I try and go during the week during the day, the cinema is usually deserted, I went to one showing and I was the only one there.

JuiceB

I never heard of anything like that before. Sounds nice.

Flanscho

In general, I like going to the cinema. There can be so many different ones. Like, there is the huge Cinedome here in town, with dozens of huge viewing rooms, a pizza hut and other shops in the same building, and so on. Or there is the Astor Film Lounge. There you pay like 5€ more, but you get service to your seat, a big adjustable leather armchair just for yourself and a seat to rest your legs on. :) Or there is the tiny cinema I was once in Kiev. I visited a friend there, and we wanted to watch a movie in english. That cinema was the only one we found, and they nearly didn't show a movie, because nobody but us turned up. But then two other people showed up, and then they showed a movie. Since so few people were there, we could choose any seat we wanted, so we sat on a wide comfy fuzzy couch. That was fun.

JoeyAndres

@coyote

Thanks for your response, you have no idea how useful that information will be. I simply have no idea what to do. I'll probably print your advice in the campus printing (I'll make sure I print it fast before anyone can see it lol).

Anyway, I am going alone else I won't be asking for help.

Thanks everyone, this had been a very satisfying first post.

spearhunter

Me too the first time I went to a movie i was alone, I was like 9 years old, it was really boring going there alone so now I always go with a friend or 2.