How many of you are IN COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY?

Jo1991

I am and i have to do an oral presentation in front of the whole class in like April. It will be part of my final grade and i am already freaking out. The professor is someone that will make you feel stupid for any little thing so i am panicking. I already see myself throwing up, i mean i participate in the class and all but i seat in the front, so no one has to turn around to see me talk. However, in oral presentations we all know that you have to stand up in front of the whole class just looking at you. So, for those that are in COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY or any other high education, how did you managed to do this? I seriously don't think i can do this, i already see it coming.

TheNewZero

I'm in uni now. I know how you feel, I absolutely hate those types of projects. It's not back for me now because I'm in a lot of small classes, but last year I had to give a presentation in front of a lecture classroom and it was horrible. I don't really know what to tell you other than prepare for it a lot. When I gave my presentation, I didn't even look at the class. I'm sure I looked like an idiot for it, but it sort of made me forget that there were loads of people focusing their attention on me. Just pretend you're talking to your teacher. Anyways, that's what helps me. What is your presentation on?

Jo1991

I really don't know yet, we have to pick a topic and do research on it. She hasn't really said much about it yet.

j_brown2

Banned
Wow, I can't imagine doing it, not yet at least... how social phobics can do this is beyond me, guess there social phobia is not as strong as mine..

I can see myself going in front of the class, then such a fear overcoming me everyone around me looking at me like Iam a freak, some people laughing, teacher in panic asking whats wrong with me, me speechless and just fading out ahhhh.... Your all so courages for going to uni and doing stuff

I got no advice lol

Ihateit

I had to give a presentation as part of a group in front of the whole of the class at college. I was so nervouse when I found out we had to do this especially as I suffer from facial blushing. I expected people to comment on my shyness and facial blushing before the presentation but they did not. A lecturer however did recommend some sort of remedy to help calm the nerves, I forgot what it is called now as I did not actually buy/use the product. I just relied on the fact that I had to do it as it was part of getting my qualification. Working in a group may probably sound easier, but if anything I found it worse as they were relying on me to do my part to help them get through the presentation with a pass at the end. I remember the presentation day clearly, my group were up first which I volunteered to do as I felt that the sooner it is done the sooner it is out of the way so that I could then concentrate on the other presentations without fear of having to get up next. As much as I was nervous, I feel I done well, and the thing that made it better once I had said my piece is that a guy in my group said well done as he obviously knew how difficult it was for me to get up in front of the class and do what I just did. The teacher then gave an assessment of my group and myself in front of the whole class, and yes she singled me out to say how well I did, and it made me feel better because people identified that I did find it difficult, but yes I done and said what I needed to do.

So basically what my advice is, prepare, know what you have to say, maybe volunteer to go first *as difficult as it may be, it may help and limit your anxiety to a point, and once you done you piece then you dont have to worry*.

mismeek

if you really really dont want to try, go to the disabilities department in your school and tell them the problem.. it might help if you bring a doctors note showing you take meds for your problem. disabilites will help you work out an agreement with your teacher. Thats what I did and now i dont have to do presentations..or i can just present to my teacher by myself after class. hope this helps!

Jo1991

Mismeek i have a therapist and i don't take medication. I told him about my anxiety and he said is to relax that in college they won't laugh.......like this is going to help me!!!!!!! However, today for that class came in a lady for the counseling center and that you can go to talk about your anxiety etc or any other problem. I am going to call and get an appointment as soon as possible.

Jbrown2, i have not done the presentation. I participate in class at times because the professor will easily call you out and make you feel dumb.

Ihateit, wow thanks for your story that's really nice to hear. I don't know how she wants it to be done, if alphabetically i am almost the last one. I don't know what to do,i can't sleep thinking about this is killing me. I can already see my self blushing and stuttering.....:(.

mismeek

your therapist could write you a note too. Just tell him you absolutely cant do it! the counseling center is a really nice place (well at least a my school) and its cheaper than a therapist.

Ehsan

you remembered me my bad years in university where i had to have lots of social interaction to complete my thesis and projects. that time i hadn't heard about SP and so i hadn't taken any medication and it was really disgusting and painful for me to wake up everyday and see i haven't done any of my works and i can't do anything.
anyway i finished it hardly. thanks God.
however presenting some scientific subject is more easier than you think coz audience are not dominant over your subject while you are so you can speak for them for hours while they don't understand anything and only pretend that they do:D. meanwhile you have many things to say so you haven't any time to think about them.

Jo1991, I have a presentation to give a presentation next week aswell, but I told the disability departement in university about it, and I also got a letter from my therapist and showed it to my lecturers, and they were completely understanding about it so now I don't have to give the presentation to my whole class, just the two lecturers that are marking it! I'm SO relieved.
Just tell them about it, they should be perfectly understanding. And you don't need to be taking medication to 'prove' you really have anxiety, in fact one of my lecturers said that she agreed with me, that she doesn't think she'd take medication either if she was in my situation. And now I've all this weight off my mind, it's great, I gave a practice presentation to my supervisor yesterday and it was totally fine so I know now I can give the presentation to just the two lecturers and it'll be fine!
So ya, I think you should tell them. I spent so long worrying about exams aswell in college, like worrying where in the hall I'd be sitting and how many people would be there, not about the actual exam itself, and then I told the disability office about my anxiety and I can do my exam in a small room, and now I can actually concentrate on the exam and the subject and doing well.
Good luck!

Nack

Banned
I too have have 2 presentation to do next week. I've never been a fan of presentation much less talking in class so for most of the class it'll be the first time they hear me talk. Of course in the past i've done lots of presentations that made me sound stupid. Now, i guess i'm a bit used to it. This is actually my 2nd semester so i've done 2 presentation in college so far and i thought it went pretty well... 2 more next week is all i have to do, then its done!

I know i hate presentations as much as the next SP suffer, but i'll never try to go around presentation. At least not something as important as a final project. I see it as a way to cure my SP.

madmike

I'm at university, almost survived the first year!!! lol :D I actually have to give a presentation in april as well, mind you i'm not on my own and it's basically reading text off a sheet of paper. I'm not overly scared about this though, i'll just avoid as much eye contact as possible and pretend there's no one else in the room. The only thing i am scared about is that i'll have a tic spasm :/ It's been getting worse for me lately and it's so annoying because i just become so depressed and even more anxious around people! Hopefully by then it'll have eased though... or i'll manage to control it long enough!

TheNewZero

Jo1991, I have a presentation to give a presentation next week aswell, but I told the disability departement in university about it, and I also got a letter from my therapist and showed it to my lecturers, and they were completely understanding about it so now I don't have to give the presentation to my whole class, just the two lecturers that are marking it! I'm SO relieved.
Just tell them about it, they should be perfectly understanding. And you don't need to be taking medication to 'prove' you really have anxiety, in fact one of my lecturers said that she agreed with me, that she doesn't think she'd take medication either if she was in my situation. And now I've all this weight off my mind, it's great, I gave a practice presentation to my supervisor yesterday and it was totally fine so I know now I can give the presentation to just the two lecturers and it'll be fine!
So ya, I think you should tell them. I spent so long worrying about exams aswell in college, like worrying where in the hall I'd be sitting and how many people would be there, not about the actual exam itself, and then I told the disability office about my anxiety and I can do my exam in a small room, and now I can actually concentrate on the exam and the subject and doing well.
Good luck!

Wow, I can't believe they actually do that. That's great. I tried to get out of something like that once in high school and I was told that I have to 'face my fears, that's the only way you're going to overcome it'. I've always assumed that that was going to be what they all say. That's what my therapist is always telling me. It's freaking annoying.

Jo1991

Wow, I can't believe they actually do that. That's great. I tried to get out of something like that once in high school and I was told that I have to 'face my fears, that's the only way you're going to overcome it'. I've always assumed that that was going to be what they all say. That's what my therapist is always telling me. It's freaking annoying.

OMG totally!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the exact same thing that my therapist is telling me. He isn't helping at all because i feel like he is just trying to get his paycheck. I was not suppose to see him the first time my doc sent me to that clinic but the therapist that i was suppose to get (a female) wasn't there that day...so i got stuck with him. I seriously want to get the other therapist but i don't want to be like oh i don't want to see you anymore. I have only seen him like 3 times but i don't feel comfortable with him and the last time i was there he asked me if i wanted to make another appointment.......i am like wtf. I felt like he wanted to get rid of me or something. I am thinking of calling the clinic and telling them that i want to get the female that i was supposed to get(i am a girl), but then what if he sees me in the clinic ugh.......I think i am just going to get appointments in my school's counseling center, i have a feeling that they will understand me perfectly.