How long did you wait to see a psychiatrist?

cure

Hey y'all,

My doctor signed me up to see a psychiatrist after all of the medication he prescribed to me failed to work (Celexa, Paxil, Buspar). He told me he has no idea how long I will have to wait before I see one but he said it shouldn't take too long because I'm young (18) and don't go to school or work (I had to cancel my college session because I hate having a red face all the time).

For those that have a psychiatrist, how long did you have to wait before you see him?

lithium

Hey y'all,

My doctor signed me up to see a psychiatrist after all of the medication he prescribed to me failed to work (Celexa, Paxil, Buspar). He told me he has no idea how long I will have to wait before I see one but he said it shouldn't take too long because I'm young (18) and don't go to school or work (I had to cancel my college session because I hate having a red face all the time).

For those that have a psychiatrist, how long did you have to wait before you see him?

Yeah, I also hate having one from time to time.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Last time I've been in one of those was many years ago. It was a really sh*tty experience that caused me a lot of troubles. I'm not planing to visit any of those ever again, unless It's extremely necesary.

Well, I didnt go to my Dr first.
I looked up a psychiatrist and called and made the appointment because I couldn't take it anymore. Been seeing her for almost a year in april and been on medication too.

AimeeSP

Hey y'all,

I was 13 when i first saw a psychiatrist. :eek: The doctor told me it could take upto 6 months for me to see them, but 4 weeks later i had my first appointment! I've been with them ever since until i turn 18 in march then i'm onto adult mental health services. I think it depends on how bad you are mentally, the worse you are quicker you're seen (although i can't say the same for adult mental health services, they've been friggen useless to a friend of mine). I was pretty screwed up back then and really suicidal. I wish you all the best, i hope they help you. I had CBT and it's really helped. It's not a cure, of course nothing is for it, but it's made me understand and come to terms with my problems.

lyricalliaisons

Well, I first saw my psychiatrist in September of '07, even though I needed to see one for years before that. I was just too scared but finally I had no choice or I would have killed myself. It always takes a long time for me to see my psychiatrist. First, I have to see my therapist, & then they schedule an appointment for my psychiatrist while I'm in the building. It always takes at least a month, & sometimes up to three for me to see him because he's so busy & has so many clients.

Last edited: