How can I help my cousin?

hangbi92

I have a cousin who used to be very optimistic and humorous. But today he told me he just broke up with his girlfriend. His girlfriend left him. They used to be a very happy couple and and their relationship has last for a long time. Now he turns into a totally different person, I cannot recognize my cousin anymore. The way he talks is world-weary. He lost 7 kg. He sleeps and eats very little. He even has the thought of suicide. He said he still loves her a lot and cannot her image out of his head. Im afraid he may have depression. How can I help him? I want to see my old happy cousin, not the depressing one now.

agoraphobickatie

well.. you have to understand that he's heartbroken =/ let him know that it's okay, and you know that he's hurting, but he will only feel worse the more he wallows in his sorrow.. let him know that time will heal, no matter if he believes it or not, eventually he will begin feeling better, he just has to try to keep his attitude up... last summer i had my heart broken, i had been living with my boyfriend and i thought we were great, and suddenly he said he just wasn't feeling the same.. it was horrible, i lost almost 15 lbs in about two weeks and all i did was cry all day long. my mom wouldn't let me stay home alone and friends would randomly drop by because i wasn't answering my phone... one friend told me that the days will get better. he said i would have bad days, but slowly and surely i would start having good days too, and then i'd have more and more good days.. and i did. i had to tell myself that it happened for a reason, and that no matter what i was thinking at the time, no matter how much i thought i was in love and we were perfect, there must have been something missing for us to have ended. i kept telling myself that one day, i'll be in a better relationship and look back and think "man, this is what i was missing!"

anyway, hope that helps some =/ best wishes to you and your cousin!!

dottie

have you told him? maybe just write down what you wrote here, address it to him in a card, and give it to him. maybe he thinks no one cares, but if you told him he might appreciate your concern. then take him to a theme park. who doesn't love theme parks?

hangbi92

Ive been tryin to talk to him and hes getting better now. Also all my family is supporting and giving him advice He finally goes out to hang out with his friends.
Thank agoraphobickatie and dottie :)