how can i get over my agoraphobia?

nicolexx

Im 16! i should be out enjoying myself. I wanna go out so bad but at the same time im scared to! i always think something bad will happen. Like ill panic, make a fool of myself, faint, be sick, lose control, go mad! its so scary.. i cannot go out for more than 5 minutes now. Im getting tutored. Seeking therpay im getting better.. but only in the house! how can i help myself get over this?

Remus

Staff member
I WAS a sufferer for years, I said this in another thread, it is good advice trust me on that:

I suffered agorophobia/panic disorder for years and conquered it, you can too!

each time you get out of the car/house/safetyzone, push it so you spend more than five minutes, tolerate more, set yourself a target of 7 mins, then next time 9 mins, then 12 and so on....(exposure)

here's another good one, go out of your front door, walk down your path to your front gate, then go back inside, venture further everytime you do it

you can beat agoraphobia by constantly challenging it

you have to do it by baby steps, a little at a time but it does work, I've got better and people I have helped have too, it can be done.

are you seeing a therapist? they really will help you!

get intouch with people on here who suffer or have suffered agorophobia, it helps to know how others conquered/are dealing with it Smile

It's known as exposure therapy.

Last edited:
Exactly right remus. I'm still in the process of beating it, but it's happening, slowly but surely. You just have to get out, and to go a little bit further every day. Like going to the door of the supermarket and standing there for five minutes one day. And the next day standing inside the door for five minutes. Walking around one aisle, buying one item...until you're completely comfortable! You have to get out as much as you can, the only way to beat it is to face your fear. Which sucks, but it's true :lol:

Listen to what Remus has written, that's excellent advice, and it's also something that my pychologists have told me to do, it's darn hard work, really stressful, but if you perservere and work at it you'll soon notice changes and believe me the slightest change makes you feel like a champion and pushes you to do better each time you get out!

Liz17

I feel exactly the same way, you do miss out on so much. Im 23 and have felt this way for 8 years, I wish I could give you a cure but I think its best to try out what the others have said. A little bit of exposure at a time, thats what Im trying to do, although its terrifying.

Jeb

I wish I had your optimism guys - Jeb's agoraphobia is running wild today.

I just don't know if I have it in me to beat that sumbitch anymore.

My therapist made me write down a saying last week when I was with her: Action precedes motivation.
As in, if you get out and face your fear once, the more motivated you'll get to do it more. The better you'll start feeling about yourself, the more confidence you'll get, and the stronger you'll feel.
You need all of those things to get over agoraphobia, but you can't get any of them until you go out and start facing your fears! Which sucks a bit, but it also means that as soon as you start facing your fears, the easier it will get.

BelovedAunt

Liz17 said:
I feel exactly the same way, you do miss out on so much. Im 23 and have felt this way for 8 years, I wish I could give you a cure but I think its best to try out what the others have said. A little bit of exposure at a time, thats what Im trying to do, although its terrifying.

I think that this is probably the best advice in the thread. Expose yourself a little bit at a time and the results will come.

I just wish that I could follow it. Last weekend was the first time I've been out socially since my divorce and I couldn't handle it. I tend to drink too much to compensate for the anxiety and nervousness, which is just a recipe for disaster.

Today looks like being a good day, though. My sister is bringing her daughter over in an hour, for the first time in a few weeks. I'm feeling good about that. Normally we sit and watch DVD's or something, but I'm considering taking her to a park today. I just have a good feeling about today :)

Jeb

I don't think I'm going to feel secure until I get my 12-gauge back from the store. Thanks for all your advice anyway!

Liz17

Exposure and a reward is what I would advise. I know it sounds really pointless, but if you focus on something that you really want outside the house, the fear will turn into excitement. Im not saying it completely disappears but the more times you attempt to do it, and the more your mind recognises these good feeling rather than the bad it will progressively become easier. Thats how I recovered from this the first time. The only problem Is I got lazy and slipped back into it :cry:

AG0RAPH0B1A

Remus said:
I WAS a sufferer for years, I said this in another thread, it is good advice trust me on that:

I suffered agorophobia/panic disorder for years and conquered it, you can too!

each time you get out of the car/house/safetyzone, push it so you spend more than five minutes, tolerate more, set yourself a target of 7 mins, then next time 9 mins, then 12 and so on....(exposure)

here's another good one, go out of your front door, walk down your path to your front gate, then go back inside, venture further everytime you do it

you can beat agoraphobia by constantly challenging it

you have to do it by baby steps, a little at a time but it does work, I've got better and people I have helped have too, it can be done.

are you seeing a therapist? they really will help you!

get intouch with people on here who suffer or have suffered agorophobia, it helps to know how others conquered/are dealing with it Smile

This is called systematic desensitization for those of you looking for a therapy process for this route.

the adivce about gradually facing your fears is very good and i believe that it will work
my only problem is actuaally getting the willpower to actuallyu put myself in that position though
anyone help?
x

Liz17

Just take small walks then its not to trying for you at the beginning, just tell your seolf Im going out for some fresh air. Then gradually go slightly further.

LonelyGuy48

Every day is different though. Depending on what else is going on in your life, you can easily lose confidence again, affected by something else, or that's what I find.

I have made steps before, but then fell back into my 'safe' world.

Confidence is the answer, but how do you get it, and keep it??!!!!

LonelyGuy48

where are the ex-agoraphobics, the people who have conquered it?

We should be helping each other - that's my point!

FlirtyandDirty

LonelyGuy48 said:
Every day is different though. Depending on what else is going on in your life, you can easily lose confidence again, affected by something else, or that's what I find.

I have made steps before, but then fell back into my 'safe' world.

Confidence is the answer, but how do you get it, and keep it??!!!!

You just keep trying. There is no magic way, you keep making those steps, until the fear goes. The more you do it, the more confident you get and then before you know it, you realise that you were out alone and there was no fear. That is an amazing feeling.

I understand what you say about making steps and falling back. I did that a few times. I felt I had it beat but ended up being afraid again. However, I just kept trying. There is nothing else to do. Well there is, you can give up, but then you miss out on so much.

omnighost

I was about 16 when mine started interfering with my life and it has only gotten worse but one piece of advice I will give you is no matter how impossible it seems there will be good days and bad days. Just keep trying and fight it with every fiber of your being.
I still have problems leaving the house but you have to keep trying.
My other advice is stay away from drugs especially pain killers and marijuana. I know it is different for others but for me they helped for a while and then they just made it worse. The marijuana now just makes me paranoid so I stay away from it and pain killers are not fun to come off of.
There is no one way to cure it and certainly no quick way to overcome. Just keep on keeping on.

seafolly

Yes, exposure therapy is what I was treated with. Only I fell right off that wagon (which had more to do with my relationship with her than anything else as I stopped seeing her and without someone to report to, I stopped trying).

Essentially, the therapist said to walk around the block one day, two the next, three after that, etc etc. She said no matter how you feel, even if it's, "Hey, this isn't so bad!" Go home. But that applies to, "This is the most awful I've ever felt in my life!" Make sure you complete that goal. Disregard what the anxiety tells you to do. And yes, reward yourself! Do something that makes you happy when you get home whether it be a bubble bath or playing a video game.

Unfortunately this burden does boil down to, "Just do it." But systematically, as already mentioned so you don't overwhelm yourself and make it worse. Arm yourself with an iPod, a hat, sunglasses, or a dog. Anything that makes you feel more at ease. But don't let it win. This is one thing that does not get better without one heck of a fight and the longer you're in it, the harder it is to get out. It can be done.