How can I fix this for my son. Any help, please.

Concerned

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice from other parents that have dealt with their child being bullied, or other kids that have experienced bullying and received some sort of resolution.

My son is 6th grader at a Middle School that apparently has a bad problem with bullying. In fact, the ISD itself has had a problem with bullying and has received national attention due to a suicide that took place a number of years ago.

I know Middle School is rough. I know some kids are as cruel as cruel can be at this age, but that cannot be acceptable. I feel like our school treats bullying as a harmless, almost inevitable part of growing up. But it's not normal and the effects from bullying have such a psychological, negative impact.

I know also that bullying has been going on since the dawn of time. However, I feel like the culture of bullying has gotten far worse in these times.

Getting my son to talk to me or my wife about being bullying is like pulling teeth. He'd rather keep it inside and deal with the bullying rather than deal with the fallout/retaliation as a result of bringing these situations to the attention of the school (basically giving them names and describing the horrible things that are said and done on a daily basis). The saying at his school is "snitches get stitches".

My son is slightly overweight but not fat in any way. He is very tall and big-boned for his age. His wrist bones are larger than mine and his shoulders are broader than mine, his height is almost 5-5, at 12 years old. He also looks older than 12. If you saw my son you might think "how could anyone bully that kid", because of size, maybe even think that he looks like he would be a bully himself. But he has a heart of gold, very kind spirited and a wonderful child- and I'm proud of him for that.

The bullying has gotten so bad that he finally let a lot out last night. You could tell that he's reached a point where keeping it inside is too hard. There are three kids, which he's in several classes with, and a coach. He doesn't lash back at these kids when they do what they do. The way he describes it, and how he feels, I think he just shuts down. These kids are on him everyday and embarrass my son in front of the whole class and the things that are said are just horrible and cruel. His coach is really something else as well. A few months back he was screaming at my son in front of the whole class and called him "big boy". The first day the coach said that these bullies were on to my son saying that even the coach was even "calling him a walrus" because of his size and teeth. He's constantly on my son about getting his knees higher. Yesterday was a pretty bad day with this coach and the bullies. This coach screams in military style. I've asked some of my son's friends about this coach and he is known for being angry and screaming at the top of his lungs. Now this is just PE, not football or the military. He's also hard on other kids, not just my son. I sent an email to this coach a few months back asking him, respectfully, not to refer to my son as anything other than his name. The coach never responded to my email. Though he has referred to my son by his name since. My son also did not know I sent that email.

I want my son to have a positive experience with school. He loves learning, practically a straight A student, doesn't get in trouble. He's in band and loves it, very passionate about it. But I can imagine how hard it must be to learn and be positive with bullies on you constantly throughout the day.

The last thing I want to do is make things worse on him by going to the school. However, as his father, I can't let this go on. Our fear is that if we do address this with the school he'll stop talking to us about what is going on. He feels strongly that there's nothing that can be done... that there's nothing the school can do- these kids won't change. And I'm sure that's the psychology behind bullying and the effects on bully victims.

I'm going to the school either way. I want to demand that these problems be stopped, the bullying to stop immediately and for my son to not have to worry about any retaliation as a result- from the kids or the coach. But is this even practical? Am I not being realistic? This is where I'm hoping to get some advice. I don't want to be the reason, or the problem parent, that gives my son a bad rep that he'll carry with him throughout the rest of his school years. I don't want to be the reason a rumor is started throughout school and things actually do get worse. These three bullies in particular, are constantly in trouble. My son has been in the same school district since he started school- so they can look at his record and see that he's never had issue one with grades, behavior, respect etc. I will explain to the school that my son doesn't know that I'm addressing this with them, however, I know that they'll need to talk to him to get facts if they are going to effectively fix this. But maybe they won't fix or see that it's a problem. Again, thinking that all of this is normal and part of this rough part of school. However, I'm not going to just stand idly by and continue to let this happen. I'm trying very hard to make son understand that he doesn't have to go through this. At the same time, I'm also trying to make him understand that there are always going to be problem people, and situations, to deal with in life. But not to the point where they bully you and break your spirit and self-esteem down to nothing. From what I'm reading, researching on the net, bullying is really bad in Middle School (and throughout Elementary and HS). It seems like the schools could be doing more to raise awareness and educate the kids on bullying. I really wish there were "zero tolerance policies" in place for bullying.

Anyway, I apologize for the long rant. I'm sure that in a lot of this I'm not making any sense. All of this breaks my heart, angers me and it hurts that my son has been going through this. If any of you can give me any advice on how to deal with this (with the school) effectively, I would so greatly appreciate it. Additionally, if any of you have any success stories where bullying was stopped, I would love to hear them. Have any other parents had problems getting your child to talk about the bullying they're subjected to?

Thank you for your time in reading this and any help or advice.

-Eric

"It seems like the schools could be doing more to raise awareness and educate the kids on bullying. I really wish there were "zero tolerance policies" in place for bullying."

It's pretty backward for a school to not have an anti-bullying policy, is this a US thing? Maybe have a look at what's being done in other countries.

Bullying. No Way!
National Centre Against Bullying

It really comes down to the staff and principal, though, and if there is a culture of allowing bullying then you probably shouldn't expect change to happen quickly. I think the most important thing for you to be doing is to be your son's support, be the antidote to the bullying, show pride in him for how tall and strong he is growing, keep him feeling positive about himself

Your son is extremely lucky to have a parent who takes the bullying he is suffering seriously and understands that it has the potential to affect him greatly.

The bullying I went through ruined my entire life, I was a "normal" kid until the age of 8. It resulted in a negative affect on my school marks, relationships with everyone in my life, job prospects, fighting the desire to end it all, and the daily struggle of just being able to survive "living". I've been fighting the damage of that bullying (that took place from the age 7 to 11) now for 33 years.

My parent tried to get the school I attended to stop the bullying, but they did not believe that bullying was a serious issue and did little to stop it.

The one great psychologist I saw a few years ago said what would you do if you were your parent back then? I instantly replied without thinking, "I would have gotten her the hell out of there"!

If you want to help your son to not have to deal with the devastation that bullying can cause to some children, either make sure that the school deals with the kids doing the bullying effectively, or get him the hell out of there so it does not create psychological damage that he may have to fight for years and years to repair.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Maybe you can start by saying you have gone through what he has (even if you haven't). Try to gain some trust and assure him no one will find out that he "snitched." When was growing up I was told to use my fists if anyone messed with me. Not saying you should give your son the same advice, but just throwing that out there.

jaim38

I went through bullying but switched schools to avoid it. I also went through neighborhood bullying and moved away to escape it. I agree with BlueDays. Bullying does leave long-lasting scars. If the district doesn't care no matter what you do, consider transferring your son to another high school or enroll him in online high school. I took a break from offline courses and took online ones, which helped me with my recovery.

Steiner

Reminds me of my time in middle school. A girl had commit suicide at my school during the time. Though I felt so bad from all the bullying I went through that when everyone else was sad and depressed acting when they heard the news. I felt good. I was sort of glad she died. It took the kids attention off of me. I felt very good that week. The girl was a girlfriend of one of the dude's in my tennis class(where i got major bullied) so everyone acted like they actually cared(when I am sure no one did, at least I didn't) I had a lot of fun. To not be harassed felt amazing.

Misery loves company.

I was also pretty large back then as well. Bigger than most of the other kids. Also a bit chubby. When I was 8 I was 5' tall so if that gives you any idea of how tall I was at 12. All the kids that bullied me were much smaller than me (1-2 years younger as well) and I never did anything back to them. I bottled it in. I would write down their names so that I could torture/murder them when I got older. I had a lot of pages filled. They would make fun of my lips a lot. Cause they were fat I guess =X I was also on the chubby side. A lot of people bullied me though not everyday like the kids in my tennis class. I was afraid of going to that class. A lot of the kids bullied me for my muteness. I also had to go to a speech therapy thing once-twice a week during PE time so that was a godsend.

Though anyway,

One day I exploded. So much rage and then right when I exploded I somehow bottled in that rage too. I just sounded like a wild animal for a moment. My vision went pink and I couldn't think. I just yelled loud and then I left. The kids laughed and made fun of me as I left. The whole gym.

It was rare for someone like me because I was mute around other kids. When I went home I punched the ground until my knuckles bled and then I cried a little bit, not a loud crying but more of a bottled in crying, not from the physical pain but from the mental pain.

Yeah I would get to doing something so that the bullying stops. It warps good kids.

As my teacher would always tell me "If you don't work on your socializing skills you're gonna grow up into a failure."

I am 20 in case you are wondering so it wasn't too long ago.

My parents never knew because I bottled it all in. I would just come home and play WoW. They still don't know. They just know I never leave the house and that I have mental problems.

Last edited:

Silatuyok

I was never necessarily bullied, but in eighth grade I did slip into a deep depression because I didn't fit in at the school I was attending. I really wish my mom would have done something about it when I told her how miserable I was and when I started failing classes and making up excuses not to go to school. As it was, I ended up taking matters into my own hands and moving away from home to go to a different school. Yeah, there are going to be bullies at any school, but there are schools out there that are going to be more suitable for your son than the one he is in. It can make all the difference in the world. I know it did for me.

Concerned

Thank you all for your responses... it's good to hear some of the experiences and advice. Though saddens me and angers me the hell some of you of went through and how those experiences and effects of bullying has followed you into adulthood. I'm so very sorry for that and I hope you soon find solace and happiness.

I have told my son many of my past experiences and same with my wife. We did this so that he could feel comfortable to speak to us about it (when he wasn't) and to know there's nothing wrong with him and bullying, while disgusting, happens everywhere. In my case, I had very bad ADD. School was tough for me and my parents did move me to a private school where things got a little better and High School was ok. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to send my son to a private schools as there are insanely expensive these days. Though if I did have the means, I don't know that I'd send him to private.

Moving to another school is an option, but would be very hard with our mortgage and all (we have looked at charter schools). However, certainly I'll do anything to help my son. But, I would like to find some resolution with this school. He has friends that he doesn't want to leave... he's shy and thinks it would be impossible to make new friends. Hearing the pain that some of you describe and how you're still dealing with it many years later, makes me realize that if the school doesn't resolve this, and immediately, then I will have to get him the hell out of there.

Kihira- The US does have an anti-bullying policies. With all of the tragedies that have occurred within the past 15-16 years, all of the suicides, the cases brought to light by various news agencies, policies have been put in place. Now, some schools are very good about raising AND SUSTAINING awareness around bullying and the effects... sadly, not all schools/districts do this. Our neighboring district does. We even see constant commercials about their anti-bullying campaigns. As far as my son's school, he he says they've never really talked about bullying. His school is pretty big (I don't know the number of students) and he's counted three anti-bullying posters.

Steiner- You are right... bullying "warps good kids". My son is a good kid, always loved learning, smart, wonderful personality, would be a friend to and help anyone. It's like the system just keeps protecting the bullies, allowing them to keep doing their crap, and ruins it for the good kids.

WalkAlone- You bring up an interesting point. Two of the three kids that bully my son are much smaller than him. The other one is about his size. There have been a couple of physical dust ups where they started pushing him around. He says it's been a while. My thought is: if he made the hardest fist he could and swung it as fast as he could right into the guys face, it wouldn't happen again. That's my thinking and maybe I'm wrong, but I feel I'm right on that. I haven't said anything to my son regarding this but I think eventually he will get enough and all of "that" that he has boiled inside, will come out. As with anything in life... you can only hold something in for so long.

I wonder something also... I believe some kids, for all kinds of reasons, are susceptible to being bullied. And, some kids are also susceptible to becoming bullies. This is where the school and their counselors should be doing their job and monitoring things better.

Thank you all again for sharing and for your help! I do greatly appreciate it.

I'll be heading to the school first thing next week. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. If anyone else out there has any suggestions or past experiences that could help me get this school to stop the bullying for my son, I'd appreciate it.

If you want to help your son to not have to deal with the devastation that bullying can cause to some children, either make sure that the school deals with the kids doing the bullying effectively, or get him the hell out of there so it does not create psychological damage that he may have to fight for years and years to repair.

Good luck :)

I have to agree.

So many times I've seen people say, "Don't take your child out of the school. Leave them and let them face the bullies head-on. In life there are going to be challenges and if your child can't face some bullies in school, you are only enabling them to be weak and dependent." I call BS because children aren't equipped to handle that sort of thing. How should they be expected to handle it, with their fists? Also, the fact is that public schools are unnatural in the sense that there is almost no other situation in life where you are stuck with only your age group. This creates more conflict, because when you're mixed with different age groups (as you are in the real world), you have differing interests and there is less need for that intense competition.

Anyway. I would definitely second what Blue said.

Edit: I see the OP has already made up his mind, oops haha. Well, I'll leave my post anyway :p

Concerned

Opaline- Thank you for your response. You bring up a really good point about how some may see situations such as this as an opportunity to learn and grow etc. otherwise you're enabling them to be weak and dependent. Kids aren't equipped to mentally deal with this. How could they at such young ages. Also, you are right as far as the real world. In real life, as an adult, age differences are much different and the challenges are not in any way comparable to bullying from childhood.

I haven't yet brought this to the attention of the school (other than sending an email to the coach, which he didn't respond to). I'm going to try this first but there has to be an immediate fix without it complicating things more for my son. If they don't, then we do have to find something else for him because of the side effects and the potential for this situation to worsen. No way can we allow him to be miserable and unhappy. My wife is going to explorer (without our son's knowledge) charter schools as an alternative and as a backup - just in case.

As I said in my previous post, there are 3 kids in particular that relentless with their bullying. I asked my son today "if those kids were no longer a problem, no longer bullying you and completely leaving you alone, would this fix things- would you feel better?" He quickly answered yes and said things would almost be perfect in that case. So I'm holding out hope that the school will take me seriously and resolve this quickly.

Joan6466

I recall an interview about Mr. Rogers,who was bullied as a child because he was overweight. He said the worst thing his parents said was "Just ignore it". He was so full of anger that was not acknowledged.
I recall how our principal handled bullying- he truly roared like a bull. For example, he stopped the school bus, climbed on, and roared in his loudest voice, "there will be no pinching another child." I know the parents went directly to him. In another situation, the parents again went directly to him- over the teachers, counselors, everyone. He made it clear that his school would have no bullies. none. There was no mistaking where he stood.
We are all cheering you and your son on.