House Share issues

Richey

I just discovered another "House Share Issue/Student Rooms Issue" That I may have a problem with, a roommate inviting his friends here and they talk so loud in the kitchen, my room is close next to the kitchen!

You could look into temporary sound proofing methods, I also had the room near the kitchen, so I had tv, kitchen, conversation noise, so I bought a wedge snake for the under door, a pair of ear muffs and listened to my ipod a lot, just so I could block the noise out.

There are also ambient noise machines you can purchase, for background noise in your room. A small fan that doesn't use much power. If possible.

There are ways to deal with those things.

Froggy246

Froggy,

I also found it difficult to use the kitchen, if it was occupied, but the kitchen will be free at certain times of the day or night to use.

I'm sure the people in the house will be understanding. I even remember one renter who would tell everyone that he likes privacy so he can study. So it's not that big a deal, as long as you say Hi to them or ask them about their day when you do see them. You could even say that you stay in your room because you are studying hard this year. Something like that.

I was lucky that I moved in with 5 other mild mannered and geeky people that liked their independence. You could have a chat with them whilst cooking, but everyone just stayed in their room and set up their own mini apartment within their rooms. One guy had a microwave and a mini fridge set up and bench.

It was hard enough doing that, so I can't imagine what living with a clique of people is like. That would be difficult.

So what did I learn from that experience that I can recommend to you.

In the future I would always get a room with an ensuite/shower/toilet attached. You pay a bit extra, but at least you get a private bathroom which you can also use to fill up your kettle or make boiled meals. So a mini pantry, perhaps a small ice box for cold drinks.

That way you don't always have to go into the kitchen if you don't feel up to it. you then have a choice.

You can also use temporary sound proofing walls, if you needed to. I just listen to an ipod a lot, to make me look busy and to block out noise.

Good luck, it's not easy.

You could also join some places that takes you out of the house, so maybe a gym, night classes, sport, musical instrument, movie club. Something that takes you away from always being in the house, which can be an isolating experience.

You could also just try and chat with them and try to feel relaxed, you can't control what they do or say, but you can still enjoy the house and have a chat, even if it's a short conversation, just so that you are seen as friendly enough.

Thank you Richey for your advice and understanding, I'm going to try and take on board those tips, I've ordered a kettle at least so I can have hot drinks and instant noodle soups or what have you, maybe I'll get a mini fridge too. I'm planning to join the gym as well, it might be a good thing in a way to get me out and about because I tend to be a hermit when I've lived in my own apartment. I have a shower which is good but the toilet I have to share which is proving problematic because every time I've used it so far someone has tried to come in. Apparently there is also a toilet outside so I might try to capture that for my use only. Thanks :)

Richey

Thank you Richey for your advice and understanding, I'm going to try and take on board those tips, I've ordered a kettle at least so I can have hot drinks and instant noodle soups or what have you, maybe I'll get a mini fridge too. I'm planning to join the gym as well, it might be a good thing in a way to get me out and about because I tend to be a hermit when I've lived in my own apartment. I have a shower which is good but the toilet I have to share which is proving problematic because every time I've used it so far someone has tried to come in. Apparently there is also a toilet outside so I might try to capture that for my use only. Thanks :)

You don't even need a fridge as it's heavy and uses power....
I just bought a cooler box/picnic cooler and used ice bricks or ice blocks from the kitchen freezer, placed the cooler box on top of a wood for the footing in my room, and so I could have cold drinks or cold water or food in case the kitchen was busy, ice bricks last 2 days. So if you buy 4, then you can use 2 throughout the week whenever you want to.

A kettle is a good idea for your room as well. And a small sized microwave if you have enough space, you'd probably just need a table or a bench to sit it on. (check to see if you're allowed to do this, or hide it from view)

Other then that you can store dry foods in a cooler bag like I did. So fruit bars, energy bars, dry fruits, pre-cooked foods that can be eaten cold. A lot of processed foods.

It just makes it easier if you don't feel like using the kitchen.

I actually lost a fair bit of weight when I rented shared because people would always use the kitchen, so I only ate when I could. I don't recommend doing that. But i'd always walk out at 6-7-8pm and someone would be using the stove or the oven.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I shared a dorm at university. Going to the shared dining was a problem. I think I started eating takeaway rather than cook. I think my anxiety was starting then, although it wasn't until 10 years later I knew I had a mental illness.

Froggy246

You don't even need a fridge as it's heavy and uses power....
I just bought a cooler box/picnic cooler and used ice bricks or ice blocks from the kitchen freezer, placed the cooler box on top of a wood for the footing in my room, and so I could have cold drinks or cold water or food in case the kitchen was busy, ice bricks last 2 days. So if you buy 4, then you can use 2 throughout the week whenever you want to.

A kettle is a good idea for your room as well. And a small sized microwave if you have enough space, you'd probably just need a table or a bench to sit it on. (check to see if you're allowed to do this, or hide it from view)

Other then that you can store dry foods in a cooler bag like I did. So fruit bars, energy bars, dry fruits, pre-cooked foods that can be eaten cold. A lot of processed foods.

It just makes it easier if you don't feel like using the kitchen.

I actually lost a fair bit of weight when I rented shared because people would always use the kitchen, so I only ate when I could. I don't recommend doing that. But i'd always walk out at 6-7-8pm and someone would be using the stove or the oven.

Good tips thanks, I still haven't used the kitchen, I'll perhaps keep a kitchen diary for a week to see when it's normally empty. Having restricted access to the kitchen does have it's benefits in terms of weight loss I guess!

Froggy246

I shared a dorm at university. Going to the shared dining was a problem. I think I started eating takeaway rather than cook. I think my anxiety was starting then, although it wasn't until 10 years later I knew I had a mental illness.

Well I can certainly relate, I have been tempted to go down the takeaway route myself.