Hot girl. Utter dread.

Resurrection

So I go to a family party. And a family member's friend (girl) sits right next to me. She's very attractive. Model features. Automatically I tense up like a statue. Like a feeling of being frozen. My heart little by little starts to pound. pounding excessively. I start shaking. I'm trying desperately to talk myself out of it and just calm down. Doesn't help. Finally we leave with me saying nothing the whole time. She sat there trying to talk to me a few times but I made one word each time, and continued to face the opposite direction from her.

There is no way I can have a girl like that if I just continue freezing up.

Any suggestions?

Requiescat

You need to work on your conversational skills and body language. Learning to ask questions is a crucial part of this. Notice how she asked questions and you responded with closed answers of one word apiece. The closed body language would have been the final nail.

Some material

- Conversation Questions for the ESL/EFL Classroom (I-TESL-J)
- Using Body Language
- Questioning Techniques
- Assertiveness

Just starting points. But remember, you already know how to do these things instinctively. It's a matter of getting a few tools resharpened so that when pu under pressure you won't revert to brain freeze. It's like in sports, you practice something so that it's muscle memory and you will replicate that skill under pressure.

this_portrait

I would've probably had the same physical reaction, at least initially. Might help to take deep breaths. Try to smile a bit. If you have trouble making eye contact, focus on another part of the other person's face, like the nose or eyebrows (they'll never know), or at least make a few glances at their face every now and then while talking.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I remember the first girl I ever talked to, who I think was pretty attractive, was this girl I knew in high school. I remember the day I almost decided I was going to try to talk to her, since it was hardly something that came natural (and still isn't). She had sat next to me in senior English, and said to me "I didn't think I had any friends in this class!"

My first thought was "Crap!" as this painted me into a corner. Usually at that time of my life I just didn't talk to anyone, as I just assumed they wouldn't want to, and thought anything to do with me would be horrible for them. This girl, who I had never said more than a couple words to though, decided we were friends. If I didn't make an honest effort to communicate, I would have felt like a very shit person, and it would have been a very long semester.

So my brain starts moving it's cogs after that. I see it first as an opportunity to work on getting out of my shell, to get comfortable with girls. I had to make it seem less scary in my head though, otherwise I would always be tense, nervous and on edge like you were.

And that's what my brain did.

See first I knew, or thought she was, dating someone who I was friends with. So that took dating off the table completely. Not that it really ever was, but just by being able to eliminate it so completely just took a huge weight off my chest. I don't have to worry about any of that stuff. And in doing that, it took away the attractiveness. Don't get me wrong, I still found her attractive. But being unavailable make her feel like a sister, or more accurately, your friends girlfriend.

And so my advice to you is next time you see an attractive girl, imagine her as someone you don't have a chance with. Not in a self-loathing way, like you're not good enough, but that for some reason, like she's dating your best friend, you guys can never be together.

For me honestly, it helped. And it turned out later she had broken up with the guy and was actually talking to an available girl the whole time, just the idea of her not being was what helped. And then into talking to a girl I had a crush on, all from that initial idea that she was just a practice talker, someone to help me get comfortable. And I had the same experience online. I talked to people freely thinking I would never meet them, never date them, that they would never see me and weren't any more than words on a screen. Two years later All of a sudden I realized I was talking to actual people, in a normal way, without worrying. Just because I didn't think about what I was doing. It ended up in a relationship for me, and all because it's something I never thought would happen.

So overly long post short, next time you see a hot girl, don't think "HOT GIRL." instead think of her in a different way. Whatever helps you relax. For me it was thinking nothing will ever happen. It might not be that for you, but hopefully there's something that works.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
^wonder if she knew that she was helping you.

I do too. I hope she does, she was very nice and patient with me, and just one of those generally good people in the world. I never told her how much everything she did meant to me, and I don't know if I'll ever get the chance.

Resurrection

Wow. Thanks for the responses. At first, I just thought She sat next to me because her friend was at the same table with me and there was nowhere else to sit on my end. (My dad actually got up to get us drinks he was sitting next to me). So I figured I'll just let her sit next to me and not say anything because I really don't have to. It worked at first... Then she started to "act" clumsy. Idk something like that and she started joking about herself to me here and there so I just looked and laughed. Then my mom and dad kept telling me to talk to her in a hush tone. I'm just thinking, wtf shes right next to me, she can probably hear you. It just really made me more embarrassed and afraid because now she knows for sure I'm afraid of her. Plus my dad was joking pointing out I was biting my upper lip a lot saying "you okay? You keep biting your lip, hehe". Then my uncle came by and said something completely embarrassing. At that point I was like, screw it I'm just going to sit here knowing I ruined a good encounter. She knows I'm afraid for sure. But it is what it is. I'm good now. It's bugging me a little but it already happened so it's time to just move on.
Good advice from you guys though. I'll definitely try to look at them like they're just taken, or a friend or something. That's how I actually got over my fear of my cousins girlfriend. It would help if I had some constant cbt therapy as well.

Last edited:

State_Of_Trance

[...]Then my mom and dad kept telling me to talk to her in a hush tone. I'm just thinking, wtf shes right next to me, she can probably hear you. It just really made me more embarrassed and afraid because now she knows for sure I'm afraid of her. Plus my dad was joking pointing out I was biting my upper lip a lot saying "you okay? You keep biting your lip, hehe". Then my uncle came by and said something completely embarrassing. [...]

Snap, what you said up top was awkward enough. Having family compound this problem is always even more lame.

Resurrection

Snap, what you said up top was awkward enough. Having family compound this problem is always even more lame.

Dude you have no idea. It was like a clumsy scene out of a ridiculously stupid comedy movie. I honestly think I reverted to my old panicky self because of yesterday. No exposure for a long time, then all that hits me at once. A supermodel looking girl sitting right next to you... I couldn't even get up. I was trapped there. I wanted to crawl in a little ball and hide until it was over. I don't know. Maybe I'm just exaggerating idk. I'm having some horrible anxiety today though. It's lingering from it.

Buy the way, nice name. I'm obsessed with trance. I even make my own trance music.

Last edited:

State_Of_Trance

[...] Buy the way, nice name. I'm obsessed with trance. I even make my own trance music.

Nice, no one I speak with seems to have even heard of Trance.

While I love what Trance I've heard, it's occurred to me recently that I actually haven't listened to many different artists. I mostly blast the same Gaia / AVB tracks over and over. Mind fixing me up with some stuff like what I just linked to?

Forgive the thread derail, ha ha, I just like it when someone "gets" my name. :D

Resurrection

Oh yeah, sure man. Im building an entire trance library right now. I hope to get at least a 1,000 songs completed by a year from now.
I'd recommend creating a trance station, or progressive trance station on Pandora or Spotify. Or atb station.
Gaia is awesome. I'm sure Tuvan is your favorite right?

My top ten tracks, not necessarily in order are:

Carte blanche - Vincent de Moore ferry corsten (veracocha)
Saltwater - Chicane
For an angel - Paul van dyk
Children - Robert miles
Greece 2000 - three drives
Resurrection - ppk
Another way - Paul van dyk
Angel - jezper soderlund
Toca's miracle - (inpetto fragma corsten's countdown)
Adagio for strings - tiesto AND ferry corstens remix
Children - 4 clubbers
Ecstacy - ATB
Castles in the sky - Ian van Dahl

I could go on and on. Those are amazing tracks though.

Of course Tuvan - Gaia

Last edited:

State_Of_Trance

Nice, nice, nice. I'll give those tracks a whirl soon.

I would say Tuvan is my favorite, but Aisha was my first Gaia track so Aisha holds a special place for me. It's kind of a tie between those two, I guess.

Resurrection

Nice, nice, nice. I'll give those tracks a whirl soon.

I would say Tuvan is my favorite, but Aisha was my first Gaia track so Aisha holds a special place for me. It's kind of a tie between those two, I guess.

That's a great track as well. I pretty enjoy most trance songs.
Do you prefer vocal trance more, progressive or uplifting?

State_Of_Trance

That's a great track as well. I pretty enjoy most trance songs.
Do you prefer vocal trance more, progressive or uplifting?

I've never been very good at differentiating sub-genres, but I dig whatever Tuvan and Aisha are. I can say that I err away from vocal, but this isn't intentional. It's just that, after the fact, it occurs to me that most of the stuff I dig isn't vocal.

Resurrection

I've never been very good at differentiating sub-genres, but I dig whatever Tuvan and Aisha are. I can say that I err away from vocal, but this isn't intentional. It's just that, after the fact, it occurs to me that most of the stuff I dig isn't vocal.

Same here. I dig prog trance primarily. Which is pretty much what Gaia is. The cool vocal effects don't distinguish them from prog trance at all either. Uplifting is cool, and hard trance is cool as well. My favorite form of trance which is pretty much prog trance, comes from 1996 - 2001. Late 90s the best on that time period. 2002-2003 had some great tracks as well. Afterwards, the genre had some good tracks but nothing tops what was produced in that time period I mentioned. Just my opinion and most of the trance fanbase.

THeCARS1979

So I go to a family party. And a family member's friend (girl) sits right next to me. She's very attractive. Model features. Automatically I tense up like a statue. Like a feeling of being frozen. My heart little by little starts to pound. pounding excessively. I start shaking. I'm trying desperately to talk myself out of it and just calm down. Doesn't help. Finally we leave with me saying nothing the whole time. She sat there trying to talk to me a few times but I made one word each time, and continued to face the opposite direction from her.

There is no way I can have a girl like that if I just continue freezing up.

Any suggestions?

thats a shame , try to ask your family relative if they can contact her
I never got that lucky so

Megaten

It might be a bit awkward to call out of the blue anyways. Good thing is you have more opportunities to meet her and try again. If she was some random woman in a club you could risk never crossing paths ever again.

Resurrection

It might be a bit awkward to call out of the blue anyways. Good thing is you have more opportunities to meet her and try again. If she was some random woman in a club you could risk never crossing paths ever again.

Yeah I know. I wouldn't just call up. I would wait until we meet again. Still, I'd probably just freeze up again. Damn fight or flight makes me panic too much.