Hi everyone :)

Hey people :) I'm Sarah, I'm a 21 year old (yay! lol) community college student from southern California and I just came across this website randomly and I'm glad I did.

So basically I've had mild/moderate SA since I was like 16. Up until that age, I was a social butterfly. I never felt anxious and had so many friends. I don't know what went wrong, but I think it had to do with the fact that I dropped out of school.
Anyway, It seems to be interfering with some aspects of my life. These days, before parties, I get so nervous I feel nauseous and consider not going. When I go out to dinner, even with people I know and love, I feel uneasy and anxious and have a hard time looking people in the eye, any and everyone. My boyfriend is the exception. Before & during job interviews I get so nervous that I have no idea what I'm talking about, and my people skills suddenly cease to exist. It's cost me 4 job interviews in the past two months, and therefore I'm jobless. And I have been jobless since Feb of 08. But I'm hopeful and positive that I will eventually be able to act normal during an interview and get the job.

But if you met me, chances are you would have no idea at all that I have SA. It's easy for me to be nice, personable and friendly, even if I feel very nervous on the inside, as long as it's not a job interview. I can be bubbly and sweet when I first meet people, but the process of getting to know them causes me stress, so I avoid it. I only have a small group of friends and my family, and that's it.

I've recently decided that I wanted to go see a therapist and I got the courage to make an appointment, so I'm happy about that. It's nice to finally not feel so much shame that I keep it locked up and not tell anyone. I'm trying to get over the shame of SA, which I'm sure many of you understand completely.

I hope to make some new friends on here, talk more about my different experiences, and learn something new about other people :)

Love, Sarah

Last edited:

BlackKids

Hey Sarah,
I'd consider myself quite similar to you, easier to talk to people than getting to know them.

Its a good think that your been pro-active. Over the summer I've realised that SA is nothing to be ashamed of and its definatly made a huge improve.

All the best :)

Nicholas

I am in the exact same situation as yours, mild SA, not extreme, I can go to parties and socialize but I find it stressful. You don't seem to have any major problems, and I'm sure you'll soon deal with your anxiety successfully.
My problem, however, is that I have other problems that cause me to have anxiety, and one of the most important one is an embarrassing medical condition (hyperhidrosis), which also causes me to feel depressed. If I hadn't this crap, I think I wouldn't have any SA by now, and I'd be very outgoing and have a decent social life (and maybe have a girlfriend)

Good luck. Oh, come on, you don't need it. You seem to have enough. Do you mind if I save what little good luck I have for myself? Sorry, it's not that I'm selfish, but I'm gonna need it very soon, you know. ::p: LOL ;)

Blackkids, (got a first name? lol)
Thanks! I think it's really hard to cope with SA without feeling shameful....because it's like why the hell can't I just be normal... you know. What kind of sa issues do you have?

Nicholas,

Thanks....yes I am glad I don't have any other major issues. I sometimes deal with depression along with the anxiety but that's about it. That sucks about your hyperhidrosis :( sometimes I get really sweaty hands, feets and eyebrows. Yes, eyebrows lol!
And about the girlfriend situation... my current boyfriend has SA very similar to mine.... and we're together so I guess you just have to find a girl that is willing to dig deep down you know?

Love, Sarah