Help :(

SkyBlue

So I made it to flight attendant training been here since sunday, it's just getting more and more awkward atleast the first couple of days you can ask ppl where there from where they wanna be based and stuff but now I have nothing to talk about :( I'm so bad of thinking of questions to ask... Everybody talks allllllll the time and I just sit there most of the time awkwardly smiling, I'm the youngest girl in the class since I'm only 19, I just can't relate to anybody here any suggestions on what to do? Questions to ask I'm with these ppl 24/7 for the next 3 weeks I need help... Before coming I was in a huge depression not talking to anyone... If I go home or fail at this I'm ganna return home depressed without a will to even live :/ I have to get threw this but I need help :(

Agent_Violet

First off, congratulations on trying to make a career for yourself!

What types of things are they talking about? If you give me some idea on what types of things they're saying I think we can brainstorm some ideas to get you into the conversations a bit more.

SkyBlue

They mostly talk about their lives and experiences they've had it just comes so easily for all of them and my experiences in the past 6 months has been sitting at home depressed not doing anything :( and before that just a mess nothing I'd like to share with ppl you've just met :/

Feathers

hey, SkyBlue - cool name!! :) Love your avatar too!

Woo, a flight attendant! Very cool! :)

Well, you can talk about dreams and interests or wannabe travels, or music or films/series/TV shows you like...
Often, people just like to talk about themselves and their interests... So if you find someone or a few who seem to have same interests/hobbies/taste in music/films, it can go wayy easier!

If you ever want to live abroad/travel/live internationally/go skydiving/do any of the things/hobbies other people mention, you can get a lot of valuable info from people who *have* lived abroad/done just that...

If someone says eg they want to be stationed/work in Australia, you can talk about Australia, or any recent events there... Or anything else that might be of interest to them, according to their hobbies or what you know of them...
Weather/hurricanes/world events/news can be of interest to people in flight industry too.. eg 'Did you hear about what happened...?'
There are probably websites with info related to flight industry too... Or eg who's hiring where etc. (I'd probably gossip about Richard Branson, sigh! :))

You can also learn about people's lives and life experience... And it may come helpful later on elsewhere in life... You're still young and have plenty of time to do many of those things!!

6 months is nothing, if you keep it mysterious and vague enough, they don't know if you had a fab glamorous life or what!

Also things from class - 'what did you think about (what Professor X said/the last class/assignment/lecture...?)' or recent events at the school/course... or local events, what's happening where you live, any events/music/...?

You can also give compliments on people's dresses and hairdos (ideally genuine!) or what they said in class etc.

Good luck & hope things go well!! :)

maiato

Banned
U are in a very stressful situation. However the truth is that probably u wont see this people anymore...less they go work for same base. The question is what more important become flight assistant or be more talkative at the moment? I just ask this cause u are in a very important step of your life. Are 3 weeks of hardwork and u need to be on your best, with no worries! The important is just pass the exam not make friends for life. After that the history will be different. But for now try to pay all attention in the course! If u fail (and wont happen!!) the think that u will be thinking after is not if u talk to much or not...is that u didn't do to pass! So please forget people around (as much as possible) and do your best to pass...that's the important issue : )

However if u want feel better with people around...try to get one people close, there's always someone that u like more...or u have more connection! Good luck is what i wish! Hope to see u flying soon : )

I just wanted to say I think you're really brave. You'll be able to talk to them in no time, if in doubt ask questions. It is my scapegoat in life :) asking questions because people generally have a lot to say once you ask them something they'll start and then it's just a matter of choosing follow up questions to get the ball rolling.
Questions eg.

Do you have a boyfriend ......(lots of follow up questions for that)
Have you always wanted to do this.....
Do you think they'll feed us? I'm starving.....what to have....etc
Oh I like your shoes, where did you get them....
Have you seen that movie.....?

and so forth, they'll think you very interested in what they have to say and that should break the ice :) best of luck and please keep posted how it goes.

Last edited:

A86

I also feel admiration for you to follow your dreams despite being a real face to face type of role.

Being in the travel industry you can always talk about different countries and travel destinations.

SkyBlue

Thank you so much guys for the great suggestions they are rly helpful! Just reading your post made me feel loads better! I rly appreciate your kind words and advice :) today was our only day off until next Sunday... So hopefully I get through week 2, I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how it's going. Ugh another day full of awkward silence and feeling like a freak, should be fun. Goodnight spw<3

Blabla..

Looking forward to hear how week 2 goes ,

don't feel bad for being quiet , that is , in my opinion , a great quality .

People talk way too much all the time , not that i have anything against it , but i prefer the company of calm and quiet people.

Feathers

GO SkyBlue! :) And keep us posted!

You know people can see 'quiet' as 'WOW, interesting!' Or 'Really COOL and mysterious' or 'quiet and peaceful'.... Lots of opportunities to make a good impression...

I've really LIKED some people even though they were quiet (or maybe because of it?) and some people who like to talk a lot will especially appreciate a listener or someone interested in them!

If I don't know what to say in a particular situation I also sometimes think of myself to do 'anthropological research' - you're basically researching life species that is wannabe flight attendants :) (and professors/course teachers and staff there)
You're researching if it's a viable career move (who knows, maybe you might even end up as a course teacher/staff once?) You're researching if it's a good course or could be improved, etc.

People go through all sorts of courses and life experiences and you're already learning A LOT!!

Hope you get to feel better - on the other hand, 'school' is not really 'supposed' to be fun, so maybe if you take off the pressure to 'have fun' you might even enjoy it more? (I know, paradox! It has worked for me sometimes!) The idea is to 'survive' and pass the exam, yup!

BiWinning

...food is always a great topic :D
Uhm, things they are looking forward too (in that career?)
Usually you only have to ask one question and if they are extroverted they can keep a conversation going.
Sorry that sucked..D:
But I'm eager to hear how it goes ^^

panicsurvivor

Your are awesome. Flight attendant school. You are doing something that not only is incredibly hard for SA sufferers, your taking on fear of flying and agoraphobia. You don't need help. You need TO help others to be more like you!!!!! When you are talking to people, when in doubt just ask questions. People usually love to have someone listen to them. No matter what happens just remember how awesome it will be when you have finished. You are going to have done something that I could never do. In my book that makes you awesome.