Help with finding, applying, and keeping a job.

nicole1

Not asking, but any advice is helpful. Not just for me but for others who have difficulty.

How did you become employed at your current job? Who helped you? What was most difficult in finding employment? (Hiring process, application, past work history, experience???) Do you have a degree for the position you hold?

Does your SA/SP interfere with it? OR do you have a job that allows you to work on your own?

I hope this one will help not just me, but others who have difficulty.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah I don't know why no one is answering. I guess it's hard to give advice on that matter because the only thing you can do is send 250 resumes and try your best until you find a place that wants to keep you.

I used to get fired all the time because of my total lack of social skills. But I kept trying, finished my degree after failing many times, couldn't find a job for almost a year (I used that year to travel), found something totally unrelated to my field of study but still interesting, stayed there 1 year then lost my job, went travelling again, looked for another job for another 7-8 months, finally got hired for a job related to my field of study. I've been working there since 2 years now. There is things I'm unable to be good at because I can't seem to overcome SA in certain situations, and I've been waiting for them to fire me since the beginning, but they seem to tolerate me so far.

So..... I guess the only way to get and keep a job is keep trying

Oizys

I am unemployed right now, but I've done the job hunting thing, interviews and the like, but all the jobs I've had I've gotten through family members. I think I've only had like 3 interviews in my entire life and I don't mind them so much. I'm more nervous about co-workers, and I hate the job hunting process, just the trudging around, place to place, handing in CVs they probably just throw in the bin when I've left.

My worry is that I'll never find a job that doesn't make me depressed.

rosewood

I finally found a job. I have been there 1 week. I am very happy, but I did not do it alone. I went through Division of Vocational Resources due to my PTSD and Social Phobia. They helped locate a position for me in a small consulting business that does accounting for local companies. Can you see if your local community services could be of help to you? I was referred to them through WorkSource when I talked to them about locating a job.

Outside of this getting and maintaining a job has been really hard. a few times over the past 6 years I would locate and get a job only to leave it shortly afterwards. I believe this time will be different as I have found a means to deal with anxiety.

the hardest part was having an expectation from others who don't know what social phobia is that I should just get a job. and I can't do that. it has to be the right size, and most especially the right kind of people. tolerant, and understanding. otherwise - I seem guaranteed failure. and all I have to do I look as far as the list of jobs I have had to see where it worked and where it didn't.

I would have returned to school but the grant funding ran out. I kept failing classes thanks to my social phobia. but I am happy to say that kept returning and I got best grades I have ever received the last time I went.

nicole1

I'm glad you've all shared. I've been feeling so pointless and useless. Now I know that I'm not alone in my experience. It also gives me faith and hope.

My biggest trouble is past experience. I've quit because of my experience with SA, avoidance tendency, and inability to relate and deal with people (slightly related to the avoidance.)

My school experience is the same. I'm shamed of it. I have gained an associates but have a semester and a half left that I couldn't finish. Well not even that much. I've failed classes that required a lot of social involvement or because I was so depressed and couldn't focus. Just an excuse I know.

It hurts so bad to feel this useless. I will keep trying and I will look into the services you did, Rosewood. It's through the state's Worksource? We have something similar.

My biggest obstacle is listing past experiences as well is contacts for them. Mostly because supervisors no longer work there and I don't remember their names.

Once again, your stories helped.

Xervello

I won't be of any help, sorry, but I'll put in my two cents anyway. Cuz that's how I am!

I've literally worked one day of my life. And that was somewhat of an embarrassment. Regardless, fortunately for me (or unfortunately) any job I'll be applying for will be low wage grunt work. So my entire resume will almost be entirely fiction. If there's one skill I have, it's lying, and I'ma lie that bad boy up something good. And it's not like if anyone actually Does check my references, etc, they'll turn me into the resume police. I'll just move on to the next. However, I'm still a yella-bellied, lily-livered chicken too afraid to even look anyplace yet. So all this is theoretical.

In any event, best of luck to you nicole! And to anyone else trying. Just remember, if you're nervous and worried about your performance, think of me - the clumsiest, most bumbling and anxious person in the world. You can't possibly be as bad as me. So long as I exist, you will always look that much better in comparison. :thumbup:

PseudoLoneWolf

I have been self employed for 8 years and it all started with a friend's call after failing at all job interviews. I sell stuff on ebay to mostly Americans, stuff that is only produced in Turkey. An internet job is ideal for a social phobic. I'd say do your best to become self employed.

nicole1

If a employer does background checks, you may not get hired. Be careful.

My younger brother barely had experience in the field he's in but it worked out very well for him. It pays very well and he works very hard. I was jealous when he got the job he has because it seemed so easy for him for some reason. Yet I'm smarter--I've been told--than he is.

I won't be of any help, sorry, but I'll put in my two cents anyway. Cuz that's how I am!

I've literally worked one day of my life. And that was somewhat of an embarrassment. Regardless, fortunately for me (or unfortunately) any job I'll be applying for will be low wage grunt work. So my entire resume will almost be entirely fiction. If there's one skill I have, it's lying, and I'ma lie that bad boy up something good. And it's not like if anyone actually Does check my references, etc, they'll turn me into the resume police. I'll just move on to the next. However, I'm still a yella-bellied, lily-livered chicken too afraid to even look anyplace yet. So all this is theoretical.

In any event, best of luck to you nicole! And to anyone else trying. Just remember, if you're nervous and worried about your performance, think of me - the clumsiest, most bumbling and anxious person in the world. You can't possibly be as bad as me. So long as I exist, you will always look that much better in comparison. :thumbup:

mikebird

Banned
Have you used this website? What has been your experience?

Very new to it. It's eBay on wheels, and a dating website rolled together

It gave me a new form of motivation. One very minor success of three days over two weeks.

No CV. No recruiter. I've had 255 interviews in total before, some of which have been fruiful. Never sure whether to pursue or give up yet

I suspect nastiness in the website. The employer was OK. The Terms & Conditions of the website are what I've been careful to check, after some suspicion of escrow and retaining my funds for too long. Deposit from the buyer is a forceful, unnecessary requirement and it's minimum to set. This breeds a lack of trust for the buyer to not invest in the seller. Every website is pretty polish and restricted action of the user. My buyer declined the deposit, and we agreed to let things run.

This is all no more than an alternative to regular selling oneself. I have 27 pending proposals which might burn out. Faith in each other is the key.

I prefer my agency and umbrella set up. I test everything in life and I know when to say no.

Last edited:

rosewood

I'm glad you've all shared. I've been feeling so pointless and useless. Now I know that I'm not alone in my experience. It also gives me faith and hope.

My biggest trouble is past experience. I've quit because of my experience with SA, avoidance tendency, and inability to relate and deal with people (slightly related to the avoidance.)

My school experience is the same. I'm shamed of it. I have gained an associates but have a semester and a half left that I couldn't finish. Well not even that much. I've failed classes that required a lot of social involvement or because I was so depressed and couldn't focus. Just an excuse I know.

It hurts so bad to feel this useless. I will keep trying and I will look into the services you did, Rosewood. It's through the state's Worksource? We have something similar.

My biggest obstacle is listing past experiences as well is contacts for them. Mostly because supervisors no longer work there and I don't remember their names.

Once again, your stories helped.

I totally understand your feelings of despair over the lack of contacts. they way I chose to try to overcome that if even only for my own pride and self esteem was to volunteer my time with Catholic Community Services In Home Chore Helper with folks who are disabled to the point where they need help. (my mom was disabled for years so I am attuned to this plight) Helping others really makes a difference in your perspective. and it is helping to desensitize myself to being around people. I will try out a new one next week, a church run banquet for homeless people. it is a much larger crowd than I am used to, so I will see how it goes. the point is: these places only allow people who have a good background and can potentially become a good character and work reference for you.