HELP! I do really need advice with my girl, OCD and our Long Distance Relationship!

Hello, good evening everybody! So this i sour situation: One day chatting in an english talking chat, half the reasons not to lose command of it and the other half to avoid boredom, I found this girl from Australia, me being from Portugal…

She’s two years older than me she just finished her degree at uni, smart, sensitive, with an amazing capability to describe and analize feelings, good hearted girl… And to add more, she’s got the kind of beauty that can be unnoticed in public but at the same time it’s overwhelming once you have her in front of you.

From the beginning we tried to be mature with the fact that we’re 20000 kms far away from each other, but truth be told the idea of forgetting about each other was much more painful than that one of being apart, so, in the most coherent and fair way for both, we’re working up this relationship; we write mails daily and try to see and chat 3 nights per week the least; on occasions we’ve spent the whole night up talking (real talking, not writing), when I never thought I could be using my vocal chords for some 10 hours with the same person. We’ve got serious plans for meeting this summer and try to be see each other from then on monthly at least till I can move in as soon as possible. We’re calm and ready to assume the drawbacks of it, and we’re confident about being together with time. I’m so sure that “She’s The One”… As corny as it might sound, I love her endlessly.

It’s been three months since I met her and by the end of our first it was evident we loved each other, but it took two for her to tell me why did she avoid talking about her family or recent past: My girl has OCD. Being a child she had some unassisted symptoms, yet always was able to hide them to the rest; arguments with parents and siblings/brothers seem to be the root to the flourishing of her OCD, until at a certain point she started washing hands for hours; this could be followed by nights without sleep wandering around the house, tissues box in hand, to open doors avoiding to touch the knob not to contact “dirt” or “contamination” that her family were “causing” in their normal lifestyle, or avoiding to stay in the most crowded spaces of the house. Shower, her torture chamber as she called it when she confessed his issues to me, drove her to stay in the floor of the bathroom exhausted under the water, not knowing what to do but lying there for 16 hours even.

Back in her history are the years in which she dropped out of uni for a while, streaks of 4-5 days without eating anything but water, all day in her room, and keeping it under lock and key anytime she needed to go out (which happened rarely) being paranoid their parents could enter and disturb, untidy or pollute her room… She would make up mental lists of rituals to carry out to avoid anxiety that would be so long that she had to write them down, making everything like in slow motion to make sure she was doing what her mind was telling her ‘cause she wasn’t able at all to trust her feelings.

The situation was so violent at home that her parents obliged her to start therapy, making her enter the psychiatric ward of the hospital secured in a police car; she spent a time there trying to get healed with treatment and pills and a procedure by which she had to be like “checked out” every ten minutes to see she was ok. Seeing herself like this and with a low self-esteem she took the whole pack of pills until overdosing not once, but twice! Tears start to appear anytime I think what would it be of me without her now.

So now everything’s going good more or less… She barely has symptoms, since we met she says she hasn’t ever felt this happy and loved in her whole life and that she only succumbed once to washing hands when she came back from the family therapy that they (parents and my girl) have started to attend to. She’s been under treatment for like 3-4 years with meds and she says the nurses there in the hospital were like angels to her and that it all saved her life. It’s good to know at least that she’s conscious about her issue and that she’s willing to get healed.

Nevertheless family counseling’s being real tough for her as she thought it was more or less over, her parents are trying to get things straight now that they’re more conscious about it all… And there’s me who can just encourage, listen to her and make sure she’s the happiest girl in the world in spite of the distance… I’d offer to go with her to therapy if needed or accompany her or whatever but I physically just can’t, so here I am now asking for your advice.

What can I expect? She now really leads a normal kind of life and now that she ended her degree she’s starting to work and so on, she’s eager to get better and share all her sufferings and worries with me, but what should I do? Be a little bit more pushy and talk about it or wait for her to come to me with the topic? Is there any more ways for me to really help? Any advice wil be really appreciated.

So that’s all, I can just thank you all, thank you for your patience and time and apologize for any mistake I might have committed as this is not my native language.

Good luck to you all and hang in there guys!

Kinetik

Be there for her in every sense of the word, but don't pry. If you're her rock for long enough, without being overbearing or pushy, then she'll confide in you once she's ready. It's much better that she does it of her own volition, and she'll respect you a heck of a lot more for it.

Thank you phocas and Kinetik for your advice! comes in really handy! It came from her to tell me the whole story without me being pushy at all... It's working amazingly cool for now and I just want her to be happy, so no need to hurry at all...

... At the beginning she was like thankfull even for me not having been scared out by her story but I'm still like there's no need at all for that, I love her for what she is and I told her that during those hard times she was not being herself, it was her disease controlling her... and that I know these kind of issues cant be expected to dissappear suddenly...

So far things are going great, everythings going smooth and we're full of entuthiasm about it all...

Just want to be the best boyfriend for her, to stay alert in case she ever needs more of my help or anything...

Any more advices will be appreciated! Thank you!

Section_31

Complex, i commend your wanting to help and be there for her. Its very painful to see someone you love suffer quietly. My wife ahs a history of abuse at home and is similar to your girl in that regard.

Like the others said, let her come to you. Your probably the first person shes opened up to about it, and its hard to begin, or sometimes even continue talking about it. She may need to talk about some of it, on some level back off and see what consequences may follow from talking about it, and then when she feels comfortable that nothing bad has happened, continue talking about it. Its just somthing she has to do at her own pace.

If you try to push her into talking about somthing, she may just clam up further. I unknowingly did this to my wife a few times, thinking i was being encouraging, but in fact i wasnt really seeiing what i was doing to her untill she called me out on it.

So in short, let her come to you. be there for her. And alot of the time just listening and not even saying anything can help greatly.

I hope it continues to go well for you :). Keep us posted!

Thank you for your insight Gunman! That's why I'm here, 'cause I see the pain in her sometimes and we (partners in general) are meant to stay for the bad things too! Such a loving soul like hers is so easy to love you don't see anything as a "drawback" in our relationship...

This is her first relationship with a guy and is the most serious one for me, be it in terms of durability and emotionally too, and it's the first time that she shared her issues with someone aparts from parents and brother/sibling... Not even the rest of her relatives now.

One issue I'm concerned about is her relationship with her brother and sibling. With her brother she's kind of weary because he was the first person she turned on when she started feeling bad, but apparently the guy started being bored of bringing her to therapy and so on and she lost trust in him for being there just in the beginning...

With her sister the situation is even worse, 'cause they were the ones that started arguing really violently when my girl was a teenager and as a result her anxiety appeared and all the subsequent OCD issues... She hasn't talk to her for ages, and by ages I mean years... It's as if to her she didn't exist at all...

Any thought on that? I guess I'll follow your advice guys, and will let her bring the topic to me and support her and listen as I've been doing during this beautiful months she's brought to my life.

Thank you for your time guys, you're all appreciated.

Lea

Banned
I´m afraid I have very similar symptoms as your gf and it´s really becoming unbearable.. I suspect my parents caused it to develop, that´s what I feel but can´t be totally sure where it comes from.

Good morning Lea... When it comes to my girl, she said to me that being in a family of three kids, she being the youngest, at the beginning she was dad's right eye (like the favourite? not sure of my english, sorry)... The remaining two were arguing all day but when her brother (the oldest) left home her sister (middle one) turned their arguements to her... My girl was now the focus of all arguements, and not having now the support of her parents, she started avoiding them all, determined not to talk to them...

She now knows that their parents might have not been right all the time, but there's something sure that can be generalised for all parents: they love their kids no matter what. That might set a common ground for whenever you feel bad about it?

I've had several issues with my own parents and thanks to this girl I've started to realise that my parents are humans too, and that they love me... Sounds really corny but it helps you emphathise with them... Now it's first time in my life I'm really trying to assume their virtues and faults and get things straight with them too. I feel like I owe my girl all the time, really fortunate I found her.

Still I don't get the link between arguments with parents/family and OCD in cleaning and washing... But to tell you the truth, I don't mind about it. I accept our minds are tricky, brain is the organ in which we've got less knowledge and I'm just concerned about my girlfriend's happiness.

From day one I was open minded about the whole thing and saw from the beginning that rituals were meant to vanish anxiety, and that you don't carry them out of any satisfaction, that they won't help you deal with your anxiety but increase it anyways.

I'm quite optimistic about it all, as I can see I love her so much I'm ready to rumble, being gentle, listening to her, offering support but without giving into her rituals... Luckily it seems its all under control now... She's understood treatment works for her and she's totally functional now... Still I'd love to hear your views on the topic.

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Lea

Banned
Hi ComplexCouple, as for me, I don´t have any siblings and I´m not my father´s favourite either (wouldn´t even care for that). I don´t really feel like describing my family situation here, I feel it´s inapropriate on the public forum and it´s getting me down just thinking about it, but anyway: it´s the constant shouting, lack of respect, they open some of my letters despite me teling them not to, take key from my room (which is quite unpleasant because they can enter any time they want, and I never know when I´m away whether they´ve been there or not and what they did there, if they came in dirty shoes etc. :rolleyes:), messing into my things which are not their business, treating me in a humiliating way, always everything my fault, I have no chance to defend myself, not seldom I get hit too etc etc. All this I can´t do anything about, except of leaving permanently (which I know it´s my fault that I didn´t suceed to do yet). I wonder if my obsessions developed from being treated unfailry and not being able to do anything about it?? I started to be hypersensitive to everything, especially dirt and ugly things, still have to clean more and more and develop still more chores. But I never really have peace of mind despite of that. Sometimes I feel like the only escape is drugs, but I didn´t develop a habit yet. YET ;). But when I do I can expect it will be disastrous :).

Sora

I would definitely wait for her to come to you, always give people their space and chance to open up. Never force it as in my opinion that can never end well. Just be there for her in any way you can and I am sure in time she will open up to you! :)

Good Luck!

Lea

Banned
I have found something. I suspected the OCD might be connected to depleted adrenals and it´s probably true:

"Compulsiveness and OCD [Obsessive Compulsion Disorder] is associated with adrenal burnout. One may become addicted or very attracted to excessive exercise, sex, loud music or other forms of excitement. The unconscious goal is always the same, to stimulate the adrenals into activity.

When the adrenals are weak, copper builds up in the body. Elevated copper enhances emotions. Panic attacks, bipolar disorder, mood swings and schizophrenia are related to copper imbalance. As one’s energy level declines, other toxic metals build up as well. Mercury, cadmium, lead, arsenic, beryllium and others contribute to hundreds of physical and emotional symptoms."

Adrenal Burnout Syndrome By Dr. Larry Wilson (Apr. 19. 2005)

I myself have insufficient production of cortisol, low blood pressure etc. So it occured to me my OCD problems can be related to this. You can suggest your gf to get her adrenals checked, in case she is not OK yet.

thank you for your opinion Sora, I'll do as you say guys! And Lea, I really feel for you!!

My girl has had some bloodtests recently and the result was low iron, she's very skinny and it makes me think a little fragile for that, but still is in the healthy range of weight and so on...

she was thinking of coming off meds for this uncoming new year 2012, and had been on half the dose lately, but the results of those tests showed she still had to go back to the previous dose...

That is one of my other concerns... I'd like to know from your experience or people you know (as my girl's the first person I've known with OCD) if you can really come off the meds... She's gonna stay in Europe for like 7-8 months, almost two with me and the rest in England, where I'll be able to meet with her monthly minimum...

I was wondering if she'll need a psichotherapist/psichiatrist to check out her meds and go on with therapy? will she be able to call the therapy off for those months?

I assume, of course, that she could have to undergo treatment and meds for the rest of her life from one hand... From the other, I guess it's always better to come off meds at least but I don't want her to hurry things up... I just want the best for her!!

Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen!!!