Help horrible experience :(

Mike88

Just had a mini panic attack at work. Was told to go downstairs in the supermarket to demo the nintendo 3DS. I was trying to ask people if they want to look at it. Suddenly my.mouth went all dry, started shake, felt sick and started sweating buckets!

Had to get away, so I quickly went outside to calm down. I then tried it again, same thing happened. Now I'm hiding in the staff loo scared of what my manager is going to say.

Really need to sort this out because it's making my life hell!

I'm not sure what I suffer from but its rediciulous!

Have you had this happen before? Be honest, tell your manager that you had a panic attack, maybe have the rest of the day off and go see your doctor

Mike88

Have you had this happen before? Be honest, tell your manager that you had a panic attack, maybe have the rest of the day off and go see your doctor

Well I have finished work now for the day. This has happened before and often happens in small episodes. I am not sure if it's a combination of getting too hot (was 25c on the mezzanine floor today), dehydration and social anxiety.

I think I will speak to my doctor on Monday and see what he thinks. I am not sure how to explain what happens to me; but it's something I have suffered from for the last 4 years and it came on suddenly.

Explain panic attacks. They know what that is. Elevated heart rate,... exactly what you just described.

Breathe easy, Mike. Not the end of the world yet. 2012 12 12 or is that 2012 21 12?

DespairSoul

Mike88,

I'm sorry to hear that u have to experience such a bad thing. Well do u are taking some medication for it?
Or do u fight your panic attacks by your self with breathing techniques. I'm sure your doctor may give u good advice what do and how to better deal with it. I hope u will doing better next time thought. Is thought:(

Mike88

Mike88,

I'm sorry to hear that u have to experience such a bad thing. Well do u are taking some medication for it?
Or do u fight your panic attacks by your self with breathing techniques. I'm sure your doctor may give u good advice what do and how to better deal with it. I hope u will doing better next time thought. Is thought:(

I went to the doctors last year about basically the same thing; he gave me a course of antidepressants, which I took and then never followed up with. I try to deal with it by keeping calm; but I always envision bad things happening. Today I spent the morning trying to avoid the situation of demoing downstairs before being told off by my senior manager.

Explain to your manager that you suffer from panic attacks and let the workforce know of your condition.

You can at least breath a bit easier knowing that your manager won't get on your ass.

Mike88

Thought I would give a little update. I went to see one of the doctors at my local practice; she is a really nice lady who understood my feelings. She took my blood pressure and did a depression test in which I scored midrange. She gave me three possible options on how to help me:

1. Self help group
2. Anti-depressants
3. Beta-blockers

I opted for the first and third treatments; but she said I can review my condition in a months time with her. She prescribed me Propranolol 40mg pills to take up to 3 times daily. I can tell they are working as my heart is slower than normal, I've not had any rush of adrenaline since taking them and therefore my physical symptoms have eased.

I am going to review my situation in the next couple of weeks to see if they help me during anxious situations at work. Also my doctor has given me a note for work explaining that I suffer from panic attacks and that I shouldn't be put into high pressure situations with the public.

Richey

yeah it's really weird when it happens, I usually get it when i'm really stressed and anxious, so at work i am like that for most of the day, what happens is i get stomach cramps and my stomach curdles so i have to constantly move around and cross my legs under the desk, then my tummy makes loud noises, which is an extreme reaction to high stress and anxiety, probably a side affect of mounting pressure, different to making a public speech which makes my blood pressure go very low which means borderline fainting.