Heart racing?

gingerbread153

Has anyone ever had a bad anxiety attack and then your heart starts racing really fast but you're not breathing hard or anything? This happens to me when I have a really bad anxiety attack. Since I've had anxiety there have been times maybe once or twice a week where it feels like my heart jumps for a second.

Does anyone else have this? I heard it's normal with anxiety and it happens when you get adrenaline rushes. Also that it's not life threatening at all. :)

anonymouse

Yes i do!

I sometimes sit there feeling anxious and my hear rate gets faster and sometimes it thumps so that it is actually audible. This seems to be my only anxiety symptom, apart from a sort of sinking feeling in the stomach/chest.

In my case i am wondering if it is still a form of panic attack if this is the only symptom -what do u think??

does ur heart race when u leave the house at all? Mine goes to 140 plus sometimes just walking slowly around a shop :(

dottie

my heart starts to race when i think about work. (work is where i face the most anxiety)

this isn't an anxiety attack for me. this is me NOT going into an anxiety attack.

Ffej

It's a classic symptom-adrenergic 'fight or flight' from our caveman days.

And I'm not convinced that it's completely harmless for all-at least those with cardiac conditions.

tiffstar

Yes my heart pounds every time I go out in public and when I'm anticipating a social event or speech I have to make.

The fight or flight response that we experience to normal situations is because of an experience we have had where we had an irrational response and never get over it, which reinforces that learnt behaviour. (it sucks)

xxitalia5183xx

gingerbread153 said:
Has anyone ever had a bad anxiety attack and then your heart starts racing really fast but you're not breathing hard or anything? This happens to me when I have a really bad anxiety attack. Since I've had anxiety there have been times maybe once or twice a week where it feels like my heart jumps for a second.

Does anyone else have this? I heard it's normal with anxiety and it happens when you get adrenaline rushes. Also that it's not life threatening at all. :)

I do, I have anxiety really bad along with palpitations. Sometimes my heart races or pounds but you get this feeling in your chest like your heart is skipping a beat and it almost takes your breath away. I see a cardiologist to be on the safe side and he says that feeling is completely normal, as long as you have no underlying heart defect. Your heart actually beats twice really fast but you dont feel the second beat unless youre checking your pulse when it happens. Since it beats twice really fast, there is a pause afterward. It might make you panic for a second but its completely normal.

Ffej

It's a normal reaction to the 'flight or fight' response of the autonomic nervous system. It increases heart rate, pumps blood to the muscles of the body and increases blood pressure to be 'ready for anything'. The only abnormal thing with us is that it's occurring at times when there is no real threat-only F.E.A.R.=false evidence appearing real.

If you have a healthy heart system, it should have no bad effects.

Kamen

This is the standard, normal reaction of the sympathetic nervous system, as others already said. It cannot harm you, though the experience is really awful. I hate it, too. Taking a few slow, deep breaths and holding the inhaled air for a while can help. Thinking about something you like and looking at the sky can help, as well.

Yes, this happened to me the other day while I was at school. I was trying to open the door to the building and it was stuck so I had to squeeze through it, and I just barely fit. There were people in the hallway and they saw me trying to get in which caused me to have a mini-anxiety attack. My heart was seriously going like a mile a minute and I felt lightheaded. I had to go to the rest room to calm down.